What's too old? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's too old?

CBRGlocker
08-26-2007, 15:06
I know that when it comes down to it, it's up to me and my body to decide if I'm too old to start martial arts but I've gotten very interested in putting my children into martial arts. I too would like to join but sore knees and an unpredictable back have me leary.

How old were all of you when you started? I'm turning 39 in october.

gr81disp
08-26-2007, 15:26
Part of it depends on why you want to join Martial arts. I am being 100% serious, but, although I bash it as a fighting form, if you want a low impact exercise, Tai Chi is very good. Most laugh because it looks kinda silly, but if all you want is something low impact and to stay healthy, it works.

Now, higher impact, good workout but also low fighting technique is Tae Kwon Do or some form of Kung Fu.

Now, if you want something high impact and good workout and good fighting technique, (I've heard) Krav Maga, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing, Judo, Sambo, or Muay Thai kickboxing. These are NOT to be taken lightly and you should stock up on Extra Strength Tylenol.

That's my 2 cents.

agarr
08-26-2007, 16:25
Martial Artist since age 11. I am now 45 . I train daily and twice weekly I spar and or teach students from age 15 to 70.

There is no maximum age. Simply listen to your body. Most of all , try to find a style that suits your interests/needs and let time and practice get you into shape and increased skill.

Martial Arts are wonderful for improving your health.

Tai Chi is a great discipline and the most popular pastime in China for a reason. Self Defense is another matter altogether.

Aikido is wonderful stuff... for the whole family. :thumbsup:

walangkatapat
08-26-2007, 17:18
You can't do anything worth a damn when you hit 44.:supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

agarr
08-26-2007, 19:49
Originally posted by walangkatapat
You can't do anything worth a damn when you hit 44.:supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

Tell that to Gonzaga..................:banana: :banana:

The Senior division still has a few veterans that might know how to win........remember , in a fight cheating is a shortcut to victory:animlol:

gr81disp
08-27-2007, 04:52
Originally posted by walangkatapat

Except win a UFC Heavyweight Championship fight against somebody 16 years your junior and 30 pounds heavier.

walangkatapat
08-27-2007, 14:06
Come on now you all know Randy is too old to be fighting.:supergrin:

walangkatapat
08-27-2007, 14:07
Originally posted by agarr
in a fight cheating is a shortcut to victory:animlol:

Who's cheating?

agarr
08-27-2007, 21:16
Me. Every time I fight someone less than 35.................:laughabove:

The old experience and treachery approach.

I call it the style of "fighting without fighting" :banana:

gr81disp
08-27-2007, 22:30
An old lady is about to pull her Gremlin into a parking space when a young man in a Porsche cuts her off and takes the spot instead. He gets out of the car and remarks to her that "It's good to be young and fast." The old lady responds by ramming her car repeatedly into his porsche until it is ruined. She gets out, looks at the horrified man and tells him, "It is better to be old and rich."

walangkatapat
08-27-2007, 23:20
Originally posted by agarr
Me. Every time I fight someone less than 35.................:laughabove:

The old experience and treachery approach.

I call it the style of "fighting without fighting" :banana:

or watching Enter the Dragon one too many times.;) ;)