Newspaper errors, especially on Firearms [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper errors, especially on Firearms

CatsMeow
08-27-2007, 19:50
I've had enough. I'm pretty convinced that most reporters haven't touched Mr. Webster's masterpiece for years. The past few days the newspapers have been mentioning some animal called "howitzer cannon". Isn't a howitzer a specie of artillery or cannon?

One local paper here referred to one firearm seized by police as a "carbine rifle". And the weapon that fires toothpick-diameter bullets, a.k.a ".9mm", refuses to go away.

So, kindly contribute any errors you see in media that makes you squirm. Better to do this than fantasizing about thoroughly ventilating the next reporter that does it.

akula
08-28-2007, 07:07
...and when they start calling our patrol crafts as BATTLESHIPs...

They should do more research on the background of their reports, rather than fishing or making up stories or commentaries to their reports.

CatsMeow
08-28-2007, 19:12
"BATTLESHIPS"? Awful.:upeyes:

This is also unforgivable: "M14 Armalite rifle". Gawd, how cross-eyed they could be if they couldn't distinguish between an M14 and an M16.:yuck:

I know this is a little ranting, but I'm a MassCom graduate and it really sticks in my craw to see errors like this. If journalists expect society to treat them to a higher standard, that is, that every incident of a journalist shot is not a mere murder but an "assault on press freedom", we should also expect that what they write should at least conform to just as high a standard, that is, that they write with the same precision expected of us when we level our sights on a target, be it paper, steel plate, or living.

darth board
08-28-2007, 22:08
they keep on describing all guns as high powered, even a 9mm pistol.

CatsMeow
09-16-2007, 19:20
In last Saturday's Philippine Daily Inquirer, page 4:

"M16 shotgun"

"Thompson .45 caliber armalite"

If any BoGs happen to work at the PDI pleeze set this reporter straight, will you?! If the PDI is not accurate with little things such as these, how are we going to expect it to be accurate in matters of national interest?!:steamed:

Glock_19_9x19
09-16-2007, 21:15
2 or 3 weeks ago, I saw an article at PDI that said a Simba was a *******ed TANK! :rofl:

Whenever they mention a visiting foreign warship, nagiging battleship ang frigate or destroyer.

Why don't these people hire military consultants para di nalilito ang public?

blueeagle
09-17-2007, 00:29
a very sad reflection of the state of our educational system! a favorite expression of one of my professors was " schooled but not educated." :sad:

chowchow
09-17-2007, 08:09
Lol, saan bang galing ng mga masscom schools na yan? They are all clueless. Reports should be accurate. Pero kung showbiz ang topic, accurate sa tsismisan.