Glock High cap Mag in Kalifornia [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock High cap Mag in Kalifornia

mosca
08-27-2007, 21:53
question? I live in good old kalifornia and would like to post this question concerning high capacity magazines.I was at the costa mesa gun show this weekend and saw 33 round magazines for glock 9mm for sale? I was under the impression that we here in Kalifornia were not allowed to have these magazines or any other high caps.These magazines were not put together but were parts (magazine, spring and the small cap in the end)to put together yourself. I did not know we could buy these parts and combine theme to make a usable mag or am i wrong?if I put one together is it legal? I shoot SSA and having more rounds in the mag would be nice
THANK YOU for your comments in advance

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

ALL THE WAY :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

M4inCA
08-27-2007, 22:36
This really belongs in the state section, but....

In the great state of Commifornia, you are not allowed to purchase or import or manufacture high cap magazines.

With that said, there is a "however", here it goes.

HOWEVER, you are "Allowed" to repair any previously "OWNED" high cap magazine to working status.

ALSO, there is NO LIMIT to the number of parts you can replace to repair your high cap magazine to working status.

So, in essence, you could replace EVERY part of the magazine and still be legal.

If that doesn't make any sense, welcome to california.

vega
08-27-2007, 23:23
CA LE can also buy hi-cap mags.

Fred
08-28-2007, 08:07
Originally posted by M4inCA
This really belongs in the state section, but....

Yep, moving it.

jayzazueta
08-28-2007, 09:37
All I keep hearing is "Anything over 10 rounds is illegal" but I have also seen Hi Caps at shows so wtf? California is nuts!

kpblade
08-28-2007, 11:08
Originally posted by jayzazueta
All I keep hearing is "Anything over 10 rounds is illegal" but I have also seen Hi Caps at shows so wtf? California is nuts!

They aren't selling complete, assembled high cap magazines. They are selling replacement bodies. As noted above, you can buy replacement bodies or other parts to repair a broken high cap mag that you legally own, but can't manufacture a new complete magazine from parts.

madmike2u
08-28-2007, 11:27
Be very careful with what you buy at gun shows in California. You can see in some threads on the forum at CalGuns that the California DOJ is sending agents to gun shows in California and in the nearby Nevada cities, who are not stopping the sales, but are recording transaction info. This has also been said to include the license plate numbers of consumers making what they consider to be "questionable" purchases.

As someone said above, it is not illegal to fix a pre-ban hi-cap magazine, but building a new one out of spare parts is definitely illegal.

madmike

cmysprks
01-25-2009, 19:28
OK I have a two glock 22 mags hi-cap that I obtained from my grandfather when I was in high school JR year back in 98 when he moved in with us. Is there anything I have to do to replace the mag body's? Turn the old one in or send it to DOJ ? I currently own a glock 23 not a 22 can I change the mag body's over to a 23 mag? And can I change all the parts? any help would greatly appreciated

Anthony

Quiet
01-26-2009, 01:24
OK I have a two glock 22 mags hi-cap that I obtained from my grandfather when I was in high school JR year back in 98 when he moved in with us. Is there anything I have to do to replace the mag body's? Turn the old one in or send it to DOJ ? I currently own a glock 23 not a 22 can I change the mag body's over to a 23 mag? And can I change all the parts? any help would greatly appreciated

Anthony

If you wanted to replace damaged/worn out parts on your two large capacity Glock 22 magazines, all you have to do is...

... buy new parts and replace them with the damaged/worn out parts. However, they have to remain as Glock 22 magazines, you can not change them to Glock 23 magazines.

You can replace any part of the magazine.

You do not have to notify CA DOJ. The burden of proof that you did not own the large capacity magazine is on the state, not you the owner.

Replacement parts can only be used to repair exisiting large capacity magazines.
You can not use them to make new large capacity magazines.

cmysprks
01-26-2009, 04:27
Thank you. I have a friend that can get me ambi cut glock g22 mag body's for $30 each is that a good deal? I know a new g22 10rd mag runs around here $40 for a mag. The only reason I want to replace the body's is that there's slight damage and there nfmL. I just want to make sure I will not get in any trouble for installing the new body's with the ambi cut on them.

M4inCA
01-26-2009, 22:03
Thank you. I have a friend that can get me ambi cut glock g22 mag body's for $30 each is that a good deal? I know a new g22 10rd mag runs around here $40 for a mag. The only reason I want to replace the body's is that there's slight damage and there nfmL. I just want to make sure I will not get in any trouble for installing the new body's with the ambi cut on them.

No, it's not a good deal. Shop around and you will find better prices.

I get normal cap mags (Cali - Hi Cap's) for $25/ea in AZ. Although they have to stay at our house in AZ assembled which is fine with me.

You could in effect, go to another state, but a mag and disassemble it in that state. As long as you're not bringing back high quantities of assembled mags there really is no problem.

ilkwon
07-13-2009, 04:43
I have some older NFML mags that are not 100% reliable. I consider them non-functional. Couldn't I exchange the body and follower with a newer generation FML version so that I can have 100% functioning mags? Any help would be appreciated.

Quiet
07-13-2009, 18:04
I have some older NFML mags that are not 100% reliable. I consider them non-functional. Couldn't I exchange the body and follower with a newer generation FML version so that I can have 100% functioning mags? Any help would be appreciated.

You can change out any of your old non-functioning part for a newer part.
However, you can not end up with more magazines than you started with.

ilkwon
07-15-2009, 02:10
You can change out any of your old non-functioning part for a newer part.
However, you can not end up with more magazines than you started with.

Thank you for the reply. I did understand the previous posts about replacing every part of the magazine, although, I just wasn't sure whether the generation of the mags had to stay the same or not. 1st gen NFML vs 3rd gen FML.

So, in essence, I just have to source disassembled mag parts from a 3rd gen mag, replace all the non-functioning parts of the 1st gen (along with the 1st gen related components) and then dispose of the first gen parts to stay within the law. Did I understand that correctly?

Quiet
07-15-2009, 02:50
So, in essence, I just have to source disassembled mag parts from a 3rd gen mag, replace all the non-functioning parts of the 1st gen (along with the 1st gen related components) and then dispose of the first gen parts to stay within the law. Did I understand that correctly?

Yes.

However, you do not have to dispose of the old parts.

Some people recommend keeping the old parts as proof that you rebuilt/repaired an old/worn-out/non-functional magazine.
It's up to you to decide what you want to do with your non-functional parts.

team1320_k26eg
12-09-2009, 18:38
found this thread in a google search. so if you rebuild a hi cao mag its ok in cali? im still confused.

Quiet
12-10-2009, 18:14
found this thread in a google search. so if you rebuild a hi cao mag its ok in cali? im still confused.

You can rebuild an exisiting large capacity magazine that you owned in CA prior to 01-01-2000.

You can not legally use to parts to build a new large capacity magazine. If you do it's a felony.

So, if you have X amount of large capacity magazines prior to the ban, you can use the parts to repair/rebuild X amount of large capacity magazines. You can not use the parts to make more than X amount of large capacity magazines.

If you did not own any large capacity magazines, you can legally use the parts to make permanent 10 round magazines or you can legally keep them as parts as long as you never assemble them in CA.

drider
12-10-2009, 23:28
Just get an G26, dont' worry about high capacity magazines, ten shots is all you're ever going to get. And so, i don't feel to 'cheated' on, by missing out on some extra rounds.

Peter95
12-18-2009, 05:48
just say it was pre-ban mags..... which most likely they were, since they were selling it.

Cody Pondexter
12-18-2009, 13:18
This state is lame when i comes to mag capacity, After 10 rounds it'll be dead whats a few more, or 23 more

juicemansam
12-18-2009, 23:01
This state is lame when i comes to mag capacity, After 10 rounds it'll be dead whats a few more, or 23 more
Don't you know? God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal. The state, being an "necessary evil," somehow is out of it's cage and becoming more equal than others. So the state and it's agents can have whatever they like, and everybody else is suspect. Yay Kalifornia!