Council OKs gun range on 8 Mile [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Council OKs gun range on 8 Mile

TAC-GLOCK
08-28-2007, 07:00
SOUTHFIELD -- In a move that angered some in the community, the Southfield City Council on Monday gave Action Impact Firearms and Training Center the go-ahead to open on Eight Mile.

The council voted 4-3 to grant the facility special use to operate as a nonindustrial business in an industrial area after more than two hours of discussion. The planning commission gave its approval in May.

William Kucyk wants to use the former 9,900-square-foot Studio of Creative Design building at 25992 Eight Mile for gun sales and a shooting range. The facility will include 14 shooting range stalls, a retail area, 35-person classroom and office space on the .57 acre property.

But some people don't want the facility in the area because of potential safety problems with gun thefts. Others believe the negative image of the facility will lower property values and put off potential residents.

"The shop will be surrounded by a residential area, and I don't want it here," said Mary Uicker. "I don't believe the purchase of handguns increases protection but adds one more possibility of danger and violence. There are too many children in our neighborhood."

Resident Bernadette Merlo voiced similar safety concerns.

"I'm not against the store, but find another location," she said.

Kucyk, an attorney and retired police officer, said he plans to provide sufficient security and will sell firearms only for personal protection and hunting. No fully automatic weapons will be sold.

Councilman William Lattimore voted in favor of the gun range and shop. Action Impact is a legitimate business that will not harm the city, which needs a safe place for people to train, he said.

"There is no legal reason to deny them in our city," said Lattimore, noting that guns have been sold at stores in Southfield.

"There are no statistics that these businesses promote crime. People kill people, not guns."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070828/METRO02/708280398/1009/rss02

G30MI
08-28-2007, 23:49
I applaud the Southfield City Council for voting in favor of this legitimate business and not being swayed by a bunch of NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard). Sounds like they have some logical, rational thinkers on the council. Oakland County desperately needs more shooting facilities. I can't think of a single indoor range north of 8 Mile besides Target Sports in Royal Oak. I wouldn't patronize that joint if you paid me.

Can't wait to shoot there!

shortsleeve
08-29-2007, 05:26
Originally posted by G30MI
I applaud the Southfield City Council for voting in favor of this legitimate business and not being swayed by a bunch of NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard). Sounds like they have some logical, rational thinkers on the council. Oakland County desperately needs more shooting facilities. I can't think of a single indoor range north of 8 Mile besides Target Sports in Royal Oak. I wouldn't patronize that joint if you paid me.

Can't wait to shoot there!

I look forward to shooting there also. :banana: :banana:

Hailstorm
08-29-2007, 05:37
"I don't believe the purchase of handguns increases protection but adds one more possibility of danger and violence. There are too many children in our neighborhood."

Move to Canada....

john_glock_mi
08-29-2007, 07:43
Good news for sure.

TAC-GLOCK
08-29-2007, 08:00
Initially I was surprised that they would be able to stop it if they wanted to. I think even the Southfield Police Chief was against it. I really don't understand the thinking that it was going to bring trouble to the neighborhood.

If anything, it might help clean things up a bit. The criminal element might think it wise to go somewhere else, rather than hang around in an area frequented by Soccer mom's with CCW's! :shocked:

ashley
08-29-2007, 08:32
awesome. i don't go to the range much because i don't want to go to target, top gun is a bit far, firingline is far, etc. etc.

- ashley

Chui
09-24-2007, 17:34
Haha. I used to live in Southfield. Now Ray-Ray can stop trying to hide his disdain for persons of "dark skin persuasion". Now the Brothers can all stop at 8 Mile Road as opposed to driving up Woodward. We'll see how much he "loves his fellow man". Ah, things get curiouser and curiouser.

Poor Ray-Ray...:animlol: