Hit Air jackets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hit Air jackets

Timotheous46
08-28-2007, 15:19
Has anyone here had any experience with the “Hit Air” series of jackets?

http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/CTGY/AT

I just wonder if they are as good as the manufacture seems to think they are.

I would appreciate any insight and opinions.

Thanks,
Tim

220-9er
08-29-2007, 15:59
Looks to me like the chance of an "accidental discharge" is likely. Also doesn't say what material the jacket itself is made of so it's hard to determine how much abrasion resistance they have. For the price, probably not much.
I would recommend the Cycleport/Motoport website & look at their Kevlar Airmesh jackets. The web site is hard to navigate but look for a link that says "save your hide" and read about the real world strength of materials. Even if you buy something else it's worth the read. Aerostitch also make good but pricey stuff. I've never seen anyone else with the same concept as the airbag jacket concept. It look like it could be a good idea if all the kinks are worked out though.

Timotheous46
09-16-2007, 15:09
Well, I bought one of the Hit-Air jackets.

I did some more research and found out that they were developed in Japan in the late 90’s and marketed in Europe, Australia and Japan. Supposedly they had some worries about liability problems here in the States.

It takes about a 66 pound pull to set off the air bag so accidental tripping should not be a problem. The air bag goes around the neck immobilizing the neck and then goes down the chest, around the sides and then along the back down to the tailbone. I’m a big guy and bought the 3x size and it will encourage me not to gain any weight. I hope never to be able to testify on how good it is during a crash, but some friends want to use up a spare canister to see how it works. I’ll let you all know the results.

It’s a nice looking jacket, although it doesn’t have the traditional leather appeal. A number of air vents that can be opened in warm weather. The fabric is “Air Guard” which is described as “High tenacious hollow yarn over 90%” Once again I hope never to be able to let anyone know how it performs sliding along the road.:ambulance:

Tim

beemerphile
09-16-2007, 15:22
I have one as well. They were first developed to pervent injuries from horseback riding. Chris Reeves should have been wearing one. I also don't see much chance of an AD. I don't know if they are any good just as I don't know if the air bag in my car is any good.

I did talk with a guy who said it saved his bacon.

codivecop
09-20-2007, 14:52
I know the motorcops in Japan MUST wear them, or a similar version. It's still looked at as unproven, uncool here in the US.

I too know some riders that wear something like those while riding. I don't know that it will hurt, seems to keep the spine mostly inline.

Timotheous46
01-26-2010, 19:41
Just to let anyone who might be interested in my final opinion of hit air jackets, I sent the following testimonial to the dealer that I bought my jacket from.

"One deer, one VTX 1300 at 60 mph
I managed to reduce the Michigan deer herd by one deer in June. I was cruising along at just below 60 MPH at 9 am when a buck jumped in front of my VTX. I hit the deer's head and it's body side swiped me off the bike. The distance from the first skid marks to were the bike and I ended up was about 195 feet. The jacket performed perfectly and I remember rolling through the ditch thinking how glad I was the jacket inflated. The only injuries I sustained were strains and a bit of road rash. No injuries to my spine, ribs or major parts. I have highly recommended the Hit Air jackets before and now have proof as to how well they perform. Thanks"

The sad part is that later in the year two other riders hit deer in the area and were killed. They were not wearing hit air jackets.

Ride safe
Tim

fnfalman
01-27-2010, 00:34
Looks like they redesigned the neck protection. It looks similar to the one that Dainese puts into the racing leather suits for various professional racers.