Handgun I [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Handgun I

Michigantrainer
08-28-2007, 20:27
September 22, 2007 - Pistol I: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Class to be held at Centerline of Calhoun County.

General Information:
Limited to 12 participants.
Cost: $125.00
more info and class reviews

see website

www.michigantrainer.com

mitommy
08-31-2007, 12:13
If you want to really learn how to fight with your hand gun (not just punch holes in paper) this is the class for you.

I have seen first hand the improvements in shooters after taking Steve's classes.

steveksux
09-03-2007, 10:37
I took the the 2nd class in this series, Handgun II earlier this summer, thinking I had enough experience to get by without taking Handgun I, that my fundamentals were sound. I had hoped to take the initial class prior to that this spring just in case, but scheduling didn't work out.

Turns out my fundamentals were fine (20 years ago), but needed some updating. Grip, stance, all outdated, and it turns out, thoroughly engrained in muscle memory.

So I was distracted somewhat by trying to undo a lot of muscle memory and bad habits, forced to divert attention to my fundamentals while others who had theirs squared away devoted full attention to the more advanced aspects of the class. Yet given all that, I still learned a lot, and thought the class was excellent. Even though I'm sure I didn't get everything out of the class that everyone else did, it was very worthwhile.

Long story short, I'm planning on swallowing my pride and taking Handgun I this time, to make sure my fundamentals are really squared away.

So yeah, you could say I recommend this instructor and his classes.

But don't do what I did, take the #1 class first. Learning the #1 class stuff on the fly while you're trying to absorb the lessons of #2 is not the best way to learn either. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad I took #2, but definitely wish I had #1 under my belt first, with some trigger time to really engrain the new skills into habits/muscle memory.

My prior firearms training was with Detroit police for the reserves, but back when they carried revolvers, so I have something to compare this to, I'm not some guy that never fired a gun before or never had any training. But I've never been to advanced training before like Gunsite, Frontsight, either. Now you have something to go by evaluating my credibility regarding my evaluation of this training.

Randy

Barbara
09-03-2007, 15:15
I sure wouldn't look at it as swallowing your pride. A lot of people take it every year, just as a refresher and a chance to do some structured practice. Same with Carbine. I've seen guys with tons of experience and training take Carbine I year after year.

steveksux
09-03-2007, 20:19
Originally posted by Barbara
I sure wouldn't look at it as swallowing your pride. A lot of people take it every year, just as a refresher and a chance to do some structured practice. Same with Carbine. I've seen guys with tons of experience and training take Carbine I year after year. Re: swallowing pride, I think some might look at it like that, and wanted to address that mindset. I certainly wouldn't take handgun I after taking handgun II if I didn't realize during handgun II that my "equivalent experience" didn't actually cover everything that was apparently covered in handgun I. I think many people's ego wouldn't allow them to take Handgun II, then go back and admit they could benefit from handgun I.

I imagine I probably have covered most of whatever's in the first class. But "knowing it" isn't enough, it needs to be instinctive, a habit you fall back to under stress. I think going over it again, at the slower pace of the first class, concentrating on those fundamentals, will be beneficial, even if I really don't technically cover any new ground. And if I did miss something, or worse got something wrong, and pick it up this timet around, that's an additional bonus.

I guess bottom line, I thought enough of what I learned in the 2nd class to whet my appetite for anything I might have missed that was contained in the first. Its worth it to me going back and making sure, and just to get more time reinforcing the new behaviors to make sure they're engrained.

Randy

Michigantrainer
09-05-2007, 21:16
Few slots left.