Best duty station for a first timer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best duty station for a first timer?

ArodJohns
08-29-2007, 17:54
Since I'm completely ignorant of duty stations, I figure I'll ask the people that know.

Which duty station stateside and which foreign duty station do you all wish you could go back to?

xxiv
08-29-2007, 18:19
I can only speak first hand of my first and only duty station, which is Ft Bragg, NC.

The surrounding towns of Fayetteville and Spring Lake have virtually everything that you'd really need. Plenty of bars, clubs, movies, restaurants, shops, strip clubs if you're into it, etc. It is a military area and hence isn't the most upscale place in the world but I have extremely fond memories of my time out on the town with pals.

Bragg itself is nice enough. The barracks are all being rebuilt and updated. I would say they're nicer than most college dorm rooms I've seen. If I reenlisted I would probably go back to Bragg.

The vast majority of the post are airborne qualified, as the 82nd Airborne, 18th ABN Corp, and 7th/3rd Group Special Forces call it home. I would suggest assuring you get Airborne school in your contract along with assignment to the 82nd if you want to guarantee Bragg as your first post.

abe9090
08-30-2007, 13:32
Depending on what your MOS is, I would highly reccommend a duty station overseas. Germany is one of my favorites, specificlly Stuggart.

deadday
09-03-2007, 12:00
I'd give my left nut to land a spot in Vicenza...

drew

Jasestrong
09-04-2007, 17:04
Originally posted by xxiv
I can only speak first hand of my first and only duty station, which is Ft Bragg, NC.

The surrounding towns of Fayetteville and Spring Lake have virtually everything that you'd really need. Plenty of bars, clubs, movies, restaurants, shops, strip clubs if you're into it, etc. It is a military area and hence isn't the most upscale place in the world but I have extremely fond memories of my time out on the town with pals.

Bragg itself is nice enough. The barracks are all being rebuilt and updated. I would say they're nicer than most college dorm rooms I've seen. If I reenlisted I would probably go back to Bragg.

The vast majority of the post are airborne qualified, as the 82nd Airborne, 18th ABN Corp, and 7th/3rd Group Special Forces call it home. I would suggest assuring you get Airborne school in your contract along with assignment to the 82nd if you want to guarantee Bragg as your first post.

Bragg was great I did my time there and I saw the world both good places and bad. I was Airborne, i didn't love it but the extra money was nice.

But if I could ask for a duty assignment it would be Ft.Sherman Panama, a single mans paradise. I don't even know if there any more posts in Panama, but man that was the palce.

fourdeuce2
09-05-2007, 11:23
Originally posted by abe9090
Depending on what your MOS is, I would highly reccommend a duty station overseas. Germany is one of my favorites, specificlly Stuggart.

There was a WIDE range of assignments in Germany, though. You could go all the way from being stationed right in the middle of Frankfurt to being way out in the boonies of Baumholder or one of those remote sites somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.;)
I loved Germany(spent 6 years there). I spent 2 years almost at the French border, and 4 years almost at the Czech border.:thumbsup: Some people don't like it as much, but the way some people spend their tours, I get the impression they wouldn't like their tour no matter where they were.:wavey:
The best duty station probably depends on what you want to do. I enjoyed Fort Carson, Colorado twice. I spent 2 years at Fort Benning. I had my Basic & AIT at Fort Polk. Visited a few other posts, but never spent much time at any others.

Currahee
09-05-2007, 14:46
Fort Carson, Colorado is a great duty station. Colorado Springs in nice, and does not feel like a military town. Plenty of fishing, hiking, mountain biking and skiing if you like that kind of thing.

10-32
09-06-2007, 19:37
Well, I can tell you one thing - you do not want to be here at Ft. Bliss. I'm in LVN school here.
My classmates are good and my cadre is good, but I'm not too big on the town. There are some great Mexican restaurants though.
The elevation takes some getting used to, and makes it hard to run for a while (atleast 3 weeks until your RBCs are replaced).
There is some mountain climbing though, so that's kinda cool. And it's interesting being this close to the Mexican border.

I spent about 6 months at Ft. Sam Houston and I liked it there, but that's more of a medical training post. San Antonio was fun.

I have some buddies at Ft. Bragg and Ft. Hood, and they seem to be enjoying themselves, but I've never been to either one.

My parents were both stationed in Germany, and actually married there and my Sister was born there. So I'd like to go to Germany, but I don't know much about it beside my parents' stories from the 70's.

FastJuice
09-06-2007, 19:45
Any "Navy" base.....

:laughing:

fourdeuce2
09-06-2007, 22:05
Air Force bases are pretty comfy too. I spent about 4 months at Lowry Air Force Base in Denver and they know how to treat people. We even had maid service in the barracks(dorms).:thumbsup:

GermanyBound
09-07-2007, 00:28
Germany isn't a bad duty station for a first timer. With one exception. 1st AD in Baumholder. Stay as far away from this S**thole of the world as possible. The other bases are nice though. YMMV

fourdeuce2
09-07-2007, 13:45
Hey, Baumholder isn't that bad. I spent 6 months there once. Of course, it only took me one weekend to do that. :rofl:

richard1
09-10-2007, 19:54
+1 for Europe. I spent part of my time in Weisbaden and then we went down to Baumholder. We did have alot more field time in Baumholder, but that's what you do as a 11B. Where ever you go, make a effort to get outside of the post town. You can be a rotten barracks rat any where. It's up to you to get out and see the sights. States side I like Campbell and Lewis.