Switch Blades [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Switch Blades

xd45acp
08-30-2007, 22:58
Does anyone know why a cpl holder in michigan cant carry a auto knife and who and what can we do to try to change this ? i want a microtech

Trebor
08-31-2007, 00:00
The Concealed Pistol License is only for *pistols*. It has nothing to do with any other weapons. It does not grant the holder any additional privileges when it comes to carrying knives or any other weapons.

Switchblades are illegal to carry under Michigan law. There is one exception, and you could arrange it so you could carry under that exception, but I don't think you'd like the process...

As to changing the laws, their doesn't seem to be any outcry to change our knife laws. Contact your state reps and start a pro-knife group if you want to work on changing the laws.

Warhorse
08-31-2007, 04:05
Originally posted by Trebor
The Concealed Pistol License is only for *pistols*. It has nothing to do with any other weapons. It does not grant the holder any additional privileges when it comes to carrying knives or any other weapons.

Switchblades are illegal to carry under Michigan law. There is one exception, and you could arrange it so you could carry under that exception, but I don't think you'd like the process...

As to changing the laws, their doesn't seem to be any outcry to change our knife laws. Contact your state reps and start a pro-knife group if you want to work on changing the laws.
Whats wrong with becoming an LEO in MI? They can have switchblades with department permission.

I know...you are refering to the one armed law

deadite
08-31-2007, 11:05
According to the law, what exactly is a switchblade? I carry assisted opening folders all the time. I'd hate to think I'd get in trouble for it.

deadite

zbusdriver
08-31-2007, 14:48
Originally posted by deadite
According to the law, what exactly is a switchblade? I carry assisted opening folders all the time. I'd hate to think I'd get in trouble for it.

deadite Michigan - 750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device...
Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or
any person who shall have in his possession any knife
having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or
blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button,
pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall
be guilty of a misdemeanor... [Also, concealed carry may
be charged as a felony under 750.227.] The provisions of
this section [750.226a] shall not apply to any one-armed
person carrying a knife on his person in connection with
his living requirements.

deadite
08-31-2007, 16:11
You know, what the hecK difference is there between a regular pocket knife and an assisted one anyway? It's not like the blade shoots across the room and kills people. It's just an easier way to getthe blade out.

deadite

G30MI
08-31-2007, 20:39

deadite

I don't think the statute applies to spring-assisted knives. I interpret the 'mechanical contrivance' provision as referring to moving parts that assist the blade in opening.

JellyBelly
09-01-2007, 10:34
You know, what the hecK difference is there between a regular pocket knife and an assisted one anyway? It's not like the blade shoots across the room and kills people. It's just an easier way to getthe blade out.

deadite

It is based in ethnic bias. Think of who carried switchblades when they were banned in Michigan.

(Back when there society felt there was a difference between the Irish and Italians, and they weren't all lumped in together as "whites".)

Punctilious1
09-01-2007, 10:45
I read about a case where a judge held that a spring-assited knife was tantamount to a switchblade. It's a grey area. I'll see if I can find and post it.

john_glock_mi
09-01-2007, 14:53
Why bring a knife to a gunfight?

:2gun:

Generalcarry
09-03-2007, 04:36

deadite

If they are not allowed in Mi according to our laws of state, why do most stores carry the Kershaws? It would seem the lawyers for these stores would have fully researched that issue before they were put out for sale.

deadite
09-03-2007, 05:32
Originally posted by Generalcarry
If they are not allowed in Mi according to our laws of state, why do most stores carry the Kershaws? It would seem the lawyers for these stores would have fully researched that issue before they were put out for sale.

That's right. I hate how ambiguos the laws are.

deadite

NailShooter
09-13-2007, 06:23
Generalcarry

.....If they are not allowed in Mi according to our laws of state, why do most stores carry the Kershaws?......

Kershaws FINISH OPENING themselves in a semi automatic mode only after you have begun to open the blade (manually) a given amount. That is not the same as the operation of a switchblade. A switchblade opens TOTALLY on its own with only the push of a button. It can be hard for some to wrap their minds around this distinction, but it was a brilliant read of the law by a knife designer.
Many (myself included) have opined that the Kershaws actually open faster than a true switchblade. I have played with both and find this to be true--for me. Just searching for the magic button on the swichblade takes more time than giving the thumb stud a flick on the Kershaw.

The Kershaws appear not to violate the switchblade laws as far as the *exact wording* of what constitutes a "switchblade". Whether Kershaws violate the intent of the law is likely where a few court cases have been argued.

I agree it's just silly that we can't carry an auto opener. Our "CPL" license needs to be changed to a "CCW" license.

Nail

Punctilious1
09-13-2007, 17:59
Originally posted by NailShooter
Kershaws FINISH OPENING themselves in a semi automatic mode only after you have begun to open the blade (manually) a given amount. That is not the same as the operation of a switchblade. A switchblade opens TOTALLY on its own with only the push of a button. It can be hard for some to wrap their minds around this distinction, but it was a brilliant read of the law by a knife designer.
Many (myself included) have opined that the Kershaws actually open faster than a true switchblade. I have played with both and find this to be true--for me. Just searching for the magic button on the swichblade takes more time than giving the thumb stud a flick on the Kershaw.

The Kershaws appear not to violate the switchblade laws as far as the *exact wording* of what constitutes a "switchblade". Whether Kershaws violate the intent of the law is likely where a few court cases have been argued.

I agree it's just silly that we can't carry an auto opener. Our "CPL" license needs to be changed to a "CCW" license.

Nail

I have a Kershaw Onion pocket knife and that baby completely opens with one push of my index finger. I am afraid it will fit the legal description of a switchblade.

TFin04
09-15-2007, 11:21
Originally posted by Punctilious1
I have a Kershaw Onion pocket knife and that baby completely opens with one push of my index finger. I am afraid it will fit the legal description of a switchblade.

Even if it doesn't fit that bill, will whatever cop you're talking to understand that? Do you want to be the test case?

There are much better knives in that price range that open and close smoothly and quickly, are built better and have much better materials.

I don't carry a knife for self defense (+1 on the knife in a gun fight comment), it is merely a tool that I use every day. I don't need gimmicks or a knife that will open a half second quicker.

Spyderco is what will reside in my pocket until the day I die. I may even write a request to be buried with one. :)

xd45acp
09-15-2007, 15:22
the thing is why cant we carry what ever we want to wether it be a auto or manual. why are we (cpl holders. i know its a concealed pistol licence) limited to handguns only ? why can cops an milatary carry what ever they want ? that was the point of this post and maybe we should try to change this. all of us know if it can down to it we would not pull a knife in a gunfight

Walter45Auto
09-17-2007, 16:12
Originally posted by xd45acp
Does anyone know why a cpl holder in michigan cant carry a auto knife and who and what can we do to try to change this ? i want a microtech

I can't count how many times I've asked the same about Texas. "We trust you with as many loaded, chambered handguns as you can hide, but you can't carry a club, switchblade, bowie knife, etc..... You might cause trouble with those.":upeyes:

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

TAC-GLOCK
09-17-2007, 17:00
Originally posted by NailShooter

Nail

That didn't work either. When I had my "Unrestricted CCW" in Michigan, I could still not carry concealed, or in my vehicle, certain knives, loaded rifles, loaded shotguns, black jacks, expandable baton, Police Grade MACE, etc.

JellyBelly
09-17-2007, 19:20
I've got a nice Benchmade auto but I don't dare take it out of the house.http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/Canonista/Smilies/wall.gif

xd45acp
09-17-2007, 22:48
so is there anything we can try to do i am sure there are alot of people just like us. i just dont know where to start

zbusdriver
09-17-2007, 22:55
Originally posted by xd45acp
so is there anything we can try to do i am sure there are alot of people just like us. i just dont know where to start switchblades are cool, but what does it really matter? :upeyes:

you guys must not have enough adversity in your lives - get a job! :supergrin:

MakeMineaP99
09-17-2007, 22:58
Originally posted by zbusdriver
you guys must not have enough adversity in your lives - get a job! :supergrin:

Work hard, play harder!:banana:

zbusdriver
09-17-2007, 23:02
Originally posted by MakeMineaP99
Work hard, play harder!:banana: okay, you win! :thumbsup: