How 'bout them Dogs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout them Dogs?

NRA_guy
08-31-2007, 06:10
Hey, Miss State "only" lost 45-0 to LSU.

I figured it would be much worse.

Bye-bye Croom. He's a good Christian guy, but he is trying to compete in the SEC with good Christian boys.

You just can't do that. To compete in the SEC you have got to recruit players who either graduated from Parchman and Angola state pens---or those who will do their post grad work at such places.

swatmed4
08-31-2007, 06:44
You just have to have a quaterback that is worth a damn. 6 interceptions is a joke. The defense did ok but you cant stay on the field the entire time.

NRA_guy
08-31-2007, 07:48
Yeah. I agree.

But the difference betweeen a "good" team and an "almost good" team is depth.

MSU (of which I am a graduate, and so is my brother, my son, and many of my cousins) is always 1 deep in too many positions. When they lose one player to injury or bad grades or felony conviction, they are out of the competition.

You need a whole team of good players and pretty good backups to compete in SEC football.

And, as you say, the first string quarterback needs to be better than just good.

Personally, I don't think the state of Mississippi can field national high quality teams the way our colleges are set up. The local talent gets distributed among Ole Miss, MSU, Southern, JSU, Alcorn, and the junior colleges.

If any one of these colleges ever became known as THE football college and attracted all of the best high school players in the state, that school could do well.

But they are all competing with each other and maintaining so-so programs.

swatmed4
08-31-2007, 08:25
Originally posted by NRA_guy
Yeah. I agree.

But the difference betweeen a "good" team and an "almost good" team is depth.

MSU (of which I am a graduate, and so is my brother, my son, and many of my cousins) is always 1 deep in too many positions. When they lose one player to injury or bad grades or felony conviction, they are out of the competition.

You need a whole team of good players and pretty good backups to compete in SEC football.

And, as you say, the first string quarterback needs to be better than just good.

Personally, I don't think the state of Mississippi can field national high quality teams the way our colleges are set up. The local talent gets distributed among Ole Miss, MSU, Southern, JSU, Alcorn, and the junior colleges.

If any one of these colleges ever became known as THE football college and attracted all of the best high school players in the state, that school could do well.

But they are all competing with each other and maintaining so-so programs. I agree, I went there and they have not changed. I was there in 87 to 90. My dad and uncles went there, so I have seen them through the bad years too. You have to get some depth, which they dont have. Until they start going to bowl games then we wont get much in recuitment.

Lobo
09-02-2007, 07:10
Dawgs got pummeled for sure, but we do have to remember LSU is ranked #2. FWIW, they still should have scored a field goal.

I can't remember his name, but hopefully Croom will try the back-up QB against Tulane. He had to sit out against LSU due to a "lapse in judgment".

Chris

NRA_guy
09-02-2007, 09:59
Originally posted by swatmed4
I agree, I went there and they have not changed. I was there in 87 to 90. My dad and uncles went there, so I have seen them through the bad years too. You have to get some depth, which they dont have. Until they start going to bowl games then we wont get much in recuitment. Yep, but I really believe that major powers in college football (like in politics) team up to keep out any upstart folks who "don't belong".

Every time Miss State (and other schools that don't traditionally win) start showing promise by getting into bowl games, the NCAA slaps them with killer penalties.

I believe that NCAA could find similar infractions at any major university if they looked hard enough. But certain schools are "supposed" to be national powers every year; so they avoid the microscopic NCAA examination when they have a super season.

swatmed4
09-09-2007, 09:14
The Dogs looked better last night. Or sounded better. Mabye they are getting it together now. Too bad they could not have done that to LSU. Oh well at least Ole Miss lost.:rofl: