Stungun/pepper spray in clubs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stungun/pepper spray in clubs

orangedawg19
08-31-2007, 15:27
Firearm carry into a club, or place that primarily serves alcohol for its income, is illegal. I know this.

What are the legality issues with non-lethal stun gun (not tasers) and pepper spray carry in such an area? I thought it was illegal too, but just making sure, I could be wrong.

noway
09-01-2007, 22:10
I can't find any thing in any statute that say it's illegal. Carry on ;)

orangedawg19
09-02-2007, 19:56
Thanks for the reply, noway. I think I'll keep on doing what I do then!

Usingmyrights
09-02-2007, 22:06
I can just see it now. Someone in a college town hosing someone down with OC inside a club. Have dozens of half drunk college students trying to run out the door.

RIPPED
09-02-2007, 22:24
seen that happen in Ybor City in Tampa.. and yeah the place cleared out REAL quick.

rmc85
09-02-2007, 23:51
I was gonna say that you couldnt but I sarted looking and....

Florida Statutes (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC01.HTM&Title=-%3E2006-%3ECh0790-%3ESection%2001#0790.01)

(4) It is not a violation of this section for a person to carry for purposes of lawful self-defense, in a concealed manner:

(a) A self-defense chemical spray.

(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

unless someone can find something else I would say carry on

orangedawg19
09-03-2007, 15:37
Well these are the places of nuisance or other such areas you can't carry concealed weapons in, we all know.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/possession.html

A club counts as an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages, so I guess by that you can't carry a concealed weapon. But there are a few caveats for stunguns and pepper spray, as in for college campus carry too. It doesn't say this directly for clubs or the other places, but I know pepper spray and such is off-limits in courthouses here.

If only there was some sort of locker system to leave the items outside the club, and pick up once you leave. It's not like I'm drinking because usually I'm DD for my friends or girls, and would like to keep having some sort of defensive tool, if I can't have my gun, on me to and from the car.

orangedawg19
09-03-2007, 15:39
Originally posted by RIPPED
seen that happen in Ybor City in Tampa.. and yeah the place cleared out REAL quick.

Ha, Ybor is rough man.

CTW
09-03-2007, 19:28
Originally posted by orangedawg19
Ha, Ybor is rough man.

:thumbsup:

itsnitro
09-13-2007, 12:07
Well these are the places of nuisance or other such areas you can't carry concealed weapons in, we all know.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/possession.html

A club counts as an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages, so I guess by that you can't carry a concealed weapon. But there are a few caveats for stunguns and pepper spray, as in for college campus carry too. It doesn't say this directly for clubs or the other places, but I know pepper spray and such is off-limits in courthouses here.

If only there was some sort of locker system to leave the items outside the club, and pick up once you leave. It's not like I'm drinking because usually I'm DD for my friends or girls, and would like to keep having some sort of defensive tool, if I can't have my gun, on me to and from the car.

according to FSS 790.001, I read it as you can carry stungun (non-projectile) and pepper spray into a club..

790.001(2)
"Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

Now subsection (6) reads:

"Firearm" means any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; any destructive device; or any machine gun. The term "firearm" does not include an antique firearm unless the antique firearm is used in the commission of a crime.

Now have I read this wrong?

noway
09-13-2007, 20:51
NO, you read it right . ;)

A handg held stun gun and pepper spray is 100% legal as far as the law is written.

As far as the OC spary in the courthouse, that's a local rule not legal as far as I know. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong ;)

orangedawg19
09-15-2007, 00:58
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll continue to carry then.

But I got another question... a few of my buddies without CWL in Florida asked me if they were able to carry stungun/pepper spray as well. I would think they are since these are considered self-defense items as the statute reads.

xm15
09-15-2007, 20:00
Keep in mind, utilizing OC spray in a crowded club environment could be a very dangerous idea. Could easily cause a panic, people getting trampled while running for the exits, etc.

Every time I've ever worked a security detail that involved going to a club environment, we always left the OC spray behind and relied on impact weapons. While you are restricted from carrying a weapon other than OC/stun gun into an establishment that serves alcohol with a Florida CWP, you can always carry a compact flashlight such as a Surefire 6P/9P. It is not a 'weapon', therefore the CWP restrictions don't matter.

xm15
09-15-2007, 20:03
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll continue to carry then.

But I got another question... a few of my buddies without CWL in Florida asked me if they were able to carry stungun/pepper spray as well. I would think they are since these are considered self-defense items as the statute reads.

Correct. 790.01 states:
(4) It is not a violation of this section for a person to carry for purposes of lawful self-defense, in a concealed manner:
(a) A self-defense chemical spray.
(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

A self defense chemcal spray is further defined in statute as containing no more than 2oz of chemical.

orangedawg19
09-15-2007, 20:41
Thank xm15... I see the inherent problems with OC spray in the club. Carrying of the spray or stun gun is for the walk back to the car. Thanks again.

excelsior
10-03-2007, 02:31
you could carry foam or gel oc in the club with no chance of cross contamination with anyone but the person sprayed.