Ohio Laws on rifle in pickup truck back window? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Laws on rifle in pickup truck back window?

Roadking522
09-02-2007, 19:54
Hi group. I need the laws on having a rifle hanging in a rack in the back window of my pickup truck. Obviously, it has to be unloaded, but how is the ammo to be stored? In a lock box? Thanks in advance!

Arquebus12
09-22-2007, 17:58
Ammo is to be kept out of the gun, obviously, and my understanding is that it has to be kept separate from the gun, as in you have to exit the vehicle to access it, as in a trunk. Now, with a truck, nobody is going to expect you to keep your ammo in the bed, so it's been explained to me that it should be kept in a bag, box, or glove compartment.

Also, leave the action open on your gun, and with a bolt action rifle, I understand that the bolt is to be removed. Talk to a local LEO for the straight dope, and don't fail to be discreet. It's better to not be seen with a gun if you don't want the attention, which is why I carry my long guns in a roof/ceiling rack as opposed to the window rack. This usually only applies to urban areas... life in the country doesn't necessitate such precautions. Sadly, the times, they have achanged, and there's plenty of people about who see a gun in a vehicle and consider it brandishing, including LEOs.

Discretion is the better part of valor... Good luck.

lakota222
09-22-2007, 20:03
legal or not, I think it is a bad idea just due to the fact that some thug may see it and decide to follow to see where you live, and when you are not home he can clean out your gun safe.

There is a rack in Cabelas called the big sky rack. Gun is still easy to access but is out of sight.http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005584220667a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=big+sky+rack&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=big+sky+rack&noImage=0

Pistol Pedro
09-22-2007, 21:25
I had not seen a rifle mounted in a truck window rack in probably 20 years until last week when I saw a guy with an AR-15 hanging in a Window rack.

Balls....:thumbsup:

JSK333
09-23-2007, 22:44
Originally posted by Roadking522
Hi group. I need the laws on having a rifle hanging in a rack in the back window of my pickup truck. Obviously, it has to be unloaded, but how is the ammo to be stored? In a lock box? Thanks in advance!

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded and is carried in one of the following ways:
(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

If it's secured in a rack, there's no need to do anything with the bolt/action, as long as it's also unloaded.

Loaded isn't defined in the code, but case law has made it to mean when both ammo and firearm are within reach of the driver (from what I've read).