San Antonio Knife Fighting??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Knife Fighting???

TattooedGlock
09-04-2007, 10:00
I live on the NE side of SA and was wondering if there are any places in SA that specialize in weapons/knife fighting. Any info would be great! Thanks

Rex G
09-05-2007, 20:05
Originally posted by TattooedGlock
I live on the NE side of SA and was wondering if there are any places in SA that specialize in weapons/knife fighting. Any info would be great! Thanks I am sure you could get into a knife fight right quickly in some of the cantinas in the barrios! ;)

Rex G
09-05-2007, 20:10
I am sorry, but the way you worded the question, I just had to do it. :)

TattooedGlock
09-06-2007, 18:07
I figured someone would jump on that band wagon! :) Seriously though, I can't find anywhere that does weapons fighting. Everything is standardized martial arts and I've had enough "formal" training for a while.

APD
09-14-2007, 20:16
Bump..I am interested too.

Rex G
09-15-2007, 15:49
Y'all have not been looking hard enough. I did a search for "pencak silat texas austin" and found the Suwanda Academy website, where I found a link to www.tacticalarts.net , www.texassilat.org , and www.kaligear.com . These seem to be three websites for the same place, and I remember having found this before, several years ago, when I was so desperate to get some pencak silat training that I thought about driving to Austin from the Houston area. This was after I had attended two seminars in Houston taught by Steve Tarani. He had learned directly from Pendekar Herman Suwanda in Indonesia. Pencak Silat is very blade-oriented, though the first seminar I attended was very practical in nature, with emphasis on the typical folding knife, and the second focused on the practical use of the karambit, so I did not get any pencak silat indoctrination.

mike4045
09-16-2007, 11:02
Don Cross does some fighting stuff. I don't have a number for him. He is local in SA. You might check with Ho Guns and see if they have contact info for him. Possibly Iron Mike on here have info.

Mike

APD
09-16-2007, 21:03
Originally posted by Rex G
Y'all have not been looking hard enough. I did a search for "pencak silat texas austin" and found the Suwanda Academy website, where I found a link to www.tacticalarts.net , www.texassilat.org , and www.kaligear.com . These seem to be three websites for the same place, and I remember having found this before, several years ago, when I was so desperate to get some pencak silat training that I thought about driving to Austin from the Houston area. This was after I had attended two seminars in Houston taught by Steve Tarani. He had learned directly from Pendekar Herman Suwanda in Indonesia. Pencak Silat is very blade-oriented, though the first seminar I attended was very practical in nature, with emphasis on the typical folding knife, and the second focused on the practical use of the karambit, so I did not get any pencak silat indoctrination.

I thought pencak or penjak was a Thai art that incorporated some blade work. I thought it was a weapons version of Thai boxing.
Still it is worth looking into, thanks.