Disarmed at Norfolk Scope [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Disarmed at Norfolk Scope

MrWithasee
09-09-2007, 00:32
Maybe someone can enlighten me because I'm confused.
Since when can the City of Norfolk disarm a legal, open carry gun owner on non-court related city property?

I went to the gun show today at the Scope in Norfolk and was open carrying. I was immediately sent to a table where an unhappy gentlemen instructed me to surrender my weapon so it could be checked. I did so in a safe manner by removing the magazine and the round from battery. The unhappy one commenced to lecture me on how I should not have brought a loaded weapon in here and I should have left my magazine and ammo in the vehicle.

Whatever.

He "checked" my weapon and placed one of those zip tie thingies through the barrel. He then instructed me to remove the magazine from my pocket and leave it with him.

Umm...I'll take NO for $100, Alex. No I did not trust this fellow and had no reason to do so. When I asked, he said I would not be allowed to enter the show unless I complied with his demands to surrender my magazines and ammo and render my weapon useless.

I returned to my vehicle initially to head home but I decided to stow my weapon and return to the show to check some facts. As I was buying my ticket, I asked the nice young women in the booth who in fact owned the Scope. She said the City of Norfolk owned and operated it. I confirmed this when I got home by checking the Scope website.

Here in lies my question (about time, right?).

How can the city of Norfolk prevent a legal gun owner from carrying a functioning weapon on city property? I know there have been various encounters with Norfolk and gun owners lately so I'm wondering if this is another example of such.

I may be missing something and the fact that they did not actually prevent me (or anyone else) from carrying the weapon itself into the show may be the catch. But we all know that exclusions and prohibitions on ammunition IS gun control.

Can anybody shed some light on why this is not a violation of VA preemption?

Dalton Wayne
09-09-2007, 00:53
I have yet to hear of any gun shows that let you carry a loaded weapon into the show, it's more of a common sence rule and I believe in some states it's a law...

DannyR
09-09-2007, 05:00
That's SOP at the Roanoke and Salem gun shows.

MrWithasee
09-09-2007, 08:53
Originally posted by Dalton Wayne
I have yet to hear of any gun shows that let you carry a loaded weapon into the show, it's more of a common sence rule and I believe in some states it's a law...

Virginia has a state law that prohibits local city and county governments from passing any ordinances restricting the carry of firearms. Its called preemption.

Originally posted by DannyR
That's SOP at the Roanoke and Salem gun shows.

Not sure who owns the venues in Roanoke in Salem. Yes, private property owners are permitted to say who carries guns into their place. However, Scope is owned by the City of Norfolk and municipalities in VA are prohibited by Virginia law from restricting the lawful carry of firearms on city property. This of course does not include schools, courts, etc that are specifically noted in the state's laws.

DannyR
09-09-2007, 09:13
It may be a restriction imposed by the promoter of the show. No big deal. I would not go to a gun show that allowed loaded firearms inside--too many careless folks.

PVanCleave
09-09-2007, 11:50
you're right - they can't ban the guns. It is the promoter that sets that policy. It is SOP for gun shows, as was said earlier.

DannyR
09-10-2007, 00:08
WOW, I'm right. That's one in a row.:banana: :banana: :banana:

Actually, it may be the Liability Insurance carrier that insists there be no loaded firearms. The promoter cannot put on a show without a certificate of insurance.

MrWithasee
09-10-2007, 08:42
Thanks for the word.
I was fairly certain there was a very good reason for it or Philip and VCDL would be all over it.

RussP
09-10-2007, 17:00
Here is the link to C&E Gun Shows. http://cegunshows.com/

Just about every page of the site has the "No Loaded Firearms - No Exceptions" rule.

When I walk in to the shows here in Richmond, my firearm is empty and my mag is in my pant pocket.

Once I left my cover shirt in my car leaving my spare mag on my belt exposed and a Henrico PD officer at the check-in table asked me to put that one in my pocket as well. He said it was the show owner's rule.

:cool:

MrWithasee
09-10-2007, 17:32
Originally posted by RussP
When I walk in to the shows here in Richmond, my firearm is empty and my mag is in my pant pocket.

The guy at the gun check table wanted be to surrender my magazines. Part of his lecture was to order me to remove the magazine from my pocket and give it to him. My weapon did not have a mag in it when I walked in.

The whole experience could have gone much better had this fellow been less of an ass about the whole thing. Its OK though, I have yet to enjoy any of the Norfolk shows. I just won't go back.

Thanks again all for enlightening me on this.

usndoc
09-13-2007, 11:40
I don't like it either.

But, the reason as it was explained to me was that there have been too many instances of people walking in looking for a holster for a particular pistol. When they find a holster it was common for the gun owner to pull the loaded weapon, sweeping the dealer and everyone around as they tried out the holster. There are a lot of gun owners, not all of them are responsible gun owners. I have seen it happen.

The local shop that I frequent has a sign on the door about no loaded firearms. I asked and they said it was pretty common to have some idiot pull a loaded weapon and while pointing it at the dealer (often with a finger on the trigger) ask how much it was worth. I was instructed that as long as I was not doing business pertaining to my carry piece I was welcome to carry in the store.

For that reason, I do my business at the local shop and skip the gun shows. Very little of what I buy these days are found at the gun show at a reasonable price. That and I hate crowds in the Roa/Salem layouts making it difficult to move and shop.