Personal weapons while flying in the USAF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Personal weapons while flying in the USAF

paper warrior
09-09-2007, 09:39
Hey everyone,
I'm planning on joining the USAF as an officer when I get out of college. Naturally, I wondered if I could carry my G17l with laser sight, 33 round mags, ect... If so, what are the rules/restrictions of this?

Thanks,
William

eodcole
09-09-2007, 11:25
Um no. You will use the M9 just like everyone else in the DOD.

paper warrior
09-09-2007, 11:28
Aww damn, I guess my next gun will be an M9 then, best to get a head start.

G19Tony
09-10-2007, 15:20
The AF tries really hard not to let the O's have handguns. :supergrin:

paper warrior
09-10-2007, 15:27
Originally posted by G19Tony

Oh, I dreampt of sugar plums, and candy apples, and an FSSG on my G17l with 33 round Scherer mags. Ah well, I can dream. Or bribe someone... :devildance:

DJ Niner
09-11-2007, 00:51
...or try to get into AFOSI (Office of Special Investigations).

I think they still get SIGs (P228s, designated as the M11, IIRC).

eodcole
09-11-2007, 08:17
Ooh yeah I forgot about them fellars.

As I mentioned in another thread when deployed once one of my EOD coworkers was issued a G19. He wasn't working for the USAF though he got attached to a JTF.

DMF
10-02-2007, 23:59
No personally owned weapons for DoD. Nothing other than M9s (Beretta 92) and M11s (SIG P228) are issued to USAF personnel. NO GLOCKS.

eodcole
10-03-2007, 07:42
Glocks happen. It's not common but they have been issued to DOD personnel and nay I say USAF people. They were not confiscated weapons from a cache or something like that but they were issued. You can choose to believe me or just spout what you think is fact.

DMF
10-03-2007, 09:23
Originally posted by eodcole
You can choose to believe me or just spout what you think is fact. I'll choose not to believe you, and state what I KNOW is fact.

eodcole
10-03-2007, 10:13
Since I have nothing better to do I'll reply again.

My only question to you is about me. Why would I lie about this? Yes I own a glock but I'm not a diehard glock lover that thinks everyone that has to carry a sidearm should have one in their holster.

I don't know what you did when you were in the military but I have a feeling it had nothing to do with an IED defeat joint task force. It was not ran by the usaf but it was a JOINT force and usaf personnel were attached. I'll stop wasting my typing though because you know to the contrary as fact. If I could get pictures of my friends with the sidearms I'd show them. Doing that would probably be useless though. Afterall no one gets issued glocks so the picture would have to be fake anyway. :upeyes:

paper warrior
10-03-2007, 12:01
I'm not sure about Glocks being issued, but I've seen troops with them. Not sure which branch though. Either way, I'll take an M9. Its good enough. Damned Geneva convention banning all the good ammo... *mumbles*

DMF
10-03-2007, 22:10
Originally posted by eodcole
My only question to you is about me. Why would I lie about this?I don't know, why don't you explain to us why you would lie about this?If I could get pictures of my friends with the sidearms I'd show them.I could get you pics of USAF people with a variety of guns, however that doesn't mean those guns were ISSUED to them.

:upeyes:

eodcole
10-04-2007, 08:20
Further trying to prove a point would obviously be for no reason. Plus it goes against my profile.

So I'm a liar and the tale I told above is pure fantasy it never happened except in my dream world. I'm trying to trick people into joining the USAF with the hopes of possibly being issued a glock just to say GOTCHA when all they will probably get is an M9. You found me out.

YOU WIN!!

Glockdude1
10-04-2007, 08:24
Air Force people get to carry sidearms in their air-conditioned office???

J/K............ :tongueout:

:usmc:

paper warrior
10-04-2007, 14:28
I asked whether I could have one, not if it was issued. I'm going to err on cole's side here. I think its possible for the DoD to issue Glocks, I probably won't get one though. Its moot.

BTW Glockdude, not an air conditioned office, but an air conditioned fighter jet! :tongueout: :usaf:

Glockdude1
10-04-2007, 15:26
Originally posted by paper warrior
BTW Glockdude, not an air conditioned office, but an air conditioned fighter jet! :tongueout: :usaf:

This will be your "office" right?????

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/imgs/f22.jpg

:thumbsup:

dewidmt
10-07-2007, 11:45
About the officers not being issued weapons...might not be a bad idea! PACAF, Misawa Japan, 1989. We were running an exercise base wide as you did for about 2 weeks every couple of months. Chem gear, flak jackets, LBE, the whole 9 yards. All officers in PACAF had just been issued the old .38 Model 15 S&W revolvers because Gen. McPeak wanted his officers to be "warriors" and there weren't enough M9's in the pipeline, so he issued out all the old standard M15's.
Had an exercise trauma patient brought to the ER where I worked as a medic and as we're rolling him onto a stretcher, his COCKED, LOADED REVOLVER falls onto the stretcher! Now, loaded I can understand, but the officer insisted that they told him to "carry it cocked". So, leave the weapons to the enlisted and the officers can lead from the rear, like they normally do.....
:supergrin:

srfl
11-05-2007, 07:48

Sadly....very true. Went to OIF, never issued any weapon...had nice late 80's body armor...even the Dutch made fun of us....as would have the French if any where deployed in the AOR.

deadday
11-05-2007, 08:19
Hey, don't knock the Dutch...Those guys are some fighters...And sadly, the HUA with Handgun disease is not limited to officers....Or handguns for that matter...I'm sure everybody has heard about the SF E7 that lost his ENTIRE rig (drop holster, mags, pistol) on a Land Nav course? But here's one to really wrap your brain around, our brand new, straight outta West Point LT lost a 50cal. Well, I suppose lost isn't the right word, he just plain left the damned thing at a biv sight...

As far as Glocks in the military, I can't speak for the AF, so I'll stay in my lane here, Asymetric Warfare guys are issued Glocks in the Army last I heard, and a few of us other guys have been allowed to play with them..I still would've preferred a USP, but anything is a step up from the M9.

drew

Wolf Raider
11-05-2007, 20:40
Some AF trainers are issued weapons of the host nation in order to conduct training. For AF it is rare. More common with Army, who do more of that type of thing. Glocks are common in the sand box right now since they are supplied to host county police units who are trained by US forces. Those trainers have Glocks along with other weapons issued to them for that purpose.

MANY AF guys pose with weapons they are not issued. I have plenty of pictures with AK, RPG, SA7, and other weapons. Obviously not issued weapons.

No personal weapons (legally), ever.

Biscuitsjam
12-03-2007, 21:31
I've been told that you can have personal weapons in the army... with the approval of a general officer...

Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. In any case, nobody would ever try to waste a general's time with the paperwork just so an LT could carry his own pistol.

But hell, it's possible I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if the Air Force had a similar rule.

meeko
12-04-2007, 07:52
But hell, it's possible I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if the Air Force had a similar rule.

The Air Force is worried to much that their next poster child would poke an eye out . weapons are suppose to be used by the Army so you won't see any "authorized" personal weapons. (This is their view and perception not mine)

Biscuitsjam
12-04-2007, 10:14
The Air Force is worried to much that their next poster child would poke an eye out . weapons are suppose to be used by the Army so you won't see any "authorized" personal weapons. (This is their view and perception not mine)The ONLY people I'd ever expect to see in the army would be generals and perhaps their staffs. If my information is correct and such a rule exist, it would only be for the guys at the top of the food chain, not us peons.

meeko
12-04-2007, 23:00
The ONLY people I'd ever expect to see in the army would be generals and perhaps their staffs. If my information is correct and such a rule exist, it would only be for the guys at the top of the food chain, not us peons.

True! If I were to do it over agian I'd get a commision first. the military is designed for officers. It seems half the rules are only a suggestion to officers.