Tell me about Diego Garcia [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Diego Garcia

desertram800
09-10-2007, 22:55
I may go there, please tell me all you can about it! And please, no "back in 1957" stories! hahahha! Thanks!

goldshellback
09-12-2007, 02:57
Personally haven't been stationed there.......I've only seen it from the lense of a sub's periscope.

Always heard it to be the armpit of the IO.....but had two shipmates stationed there at two diffrent times and they both said it wasn't all that bad, just VERY remote and not much to do. Good diving and the island can support a remote 'Jimmy Buffett' existence (minus the ganga) when off duty.

Now that's just second hand info.....post your question(s) at the NKO and Together We Served forums/blogs and see what hits you get there.

Drestin Black
09-19-2007, 10:37
Well this is "badk in" but not 1957. I was there in the early 1980's just passing through. They had us picking up coconuts for something to do. If you want to go there for a tour to save money, then that can be done. Other than that there's nothing to do and at that time there were a lot of alcoholics created by nothing to do. I doubt a lot has changed.

The Pontificator
09-21-2007, 11:28
Originally posted by Drestin Black
Well this is "badk in" but not 1957. I was there in the early 1980's just passing through. They had us picking up coconuts for something to do. If you want to go there for a tour to save money, then that can be done. Other than that there's nothing to do and at that time there were a lot of alcoholics created by nothing to do. I doubt a lot has changed.

Back in 1980...yours truly did a HOT, HOT summer there on the USS L.Y. Spear.

Seen the coconut plantation as well as the remains of a PBY.

At night sharks would come into the lagoon and circle the ship. We are not talking 6-7 footers, either. We are talking "Jaws" -sized sharks many of them hammerheads.

snackman
10-05-2007, 20:59
I was there as a CTT1 in 1987. Don't beleive all the stories about nothing to do... quite the contrary. Best fishing I have ever seen, we were cutting up 5lb snappers for bait. Beer and hard stuff was very cheap. Jungle trail... where you ran on Sunday after getting toasted on Saturday. Sweat like a pig! Sailboats to use... gotta get certified on island first. Scuba diving and snorkeling. Bring a bicycle with you as there are plenty of road and trails to ride. Everything is within walking distance to barracks. Buses run on a schedule for transportation to remote sites. I took a few college courses as well (Central Texas Univ). I spent the obligatory year there, missed my wife and kids dearly. While there only comms out was at $6 a minute. Now they have cheap long distance rates as well as internet access in your room. If I were a single guy...oh boy that would have been a very fun year!
Jim

captyg76
10-19-2007, 14:47
Passed through many times while picking up freight during my AFS tours - before Jebel Ali was in place. Good place if single and you want to save money - not much to do - swim, sail, fish, drink, PT. I too have the obligatory PBY photo.

FastJuice
10-19-2007, 16:51
"Back in the early 80s", went there once. We called it the "rock" back then. I dont care what they say about it. Its tropical, and sailers like tropical.
I was a diver and spent my time on the reef.

This will help:
http://www.msc.navy.mil/mpstwo/garcia.htm

J T
10-20-2007, 19:09
Stopped there once in '88 on the way out to the Forrestal. Only had a few hours. I remember thinking that the sand at the beaches was as white and soft as cotton.

spober
11-07-2007, 14:19
my uncle joe was stationed there for at least a year.he retired from the Seabees.Man he did a couple of Antartic tours also.he had a wife and 5 kids so he liked shipping off for years at a time?

Navy Gunner
11-10-2007, 21:36
Great place to PT.
Learn to sail
Diving is very good (watch for sharks)
fishing

fatboy97
11-12-2007, 17:13
The USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) stopped in there around 1990. I thought they had some very nice facilities, excellent beaches and beautiful clear blue/green water. It is a very small island, but they seem to be very well treated over there.

Harrison
11-15-2007, 19:12
Back in 1980...yours truly did a HOT, HOT summer there on the USS L.Y. Spear.

Seen the coconut plantation as well as the remains of a PBY.

At night sharks would come into the lagoon and circle the ship. We are not talking 6-7 footers, either. We are talking "Jaws" -sized sharks many of them hammerheads.

I haven't been on Glock Talk in a long while, but didn't we decide that we had been on the Spear at the same time? I was in Radcon from '79 to '81 and I remember that summer of '80 on DG well.

C4talyst
12-15-2007, 16:55
Don't they have a 9 hole golf course there too?

Harrison
12-15-2007, 20:59
Don't they have a 9 hole golf course there too?

I don't recall one being there in 1980, but that was a long time ago and I am getting old. I do recall the two lane bowling alley though! :patriot:

Seafarer12
12-18-2007, 13:10
The rock isnt bad as long as you like to relax, drink a lot and not look at women. I know some merchant marines that just about live out there. Its a good place to save money.