Comfortable OWB/IWB rigs for large hips? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable OWB/IWB rigs for large hips?

emt1581
09-11-2007, 21:26
Ladies, my gf is tall, athletic build, slender waist and large hips/hind quarters.

Her coronado purse is wonderful and really was worth every penny! However, we need to find her a good holster for her G19.

Typically she wears hip-huggers, skirts, capris or gauchos.

She tried my Sidearmors...all THREE of them!...they worked for her as long as she didn't walk around too much.

Perhaps it's the wardrobe that needs adjusting?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

emt1581
09-12-2007, 21:57
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

c-mama
09-13-2007, 07:44
:wavey:

I'm short and have large hips. I use Texas Heritage IWB (http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/retehe.html) by Tucker Gunleather. The problem right now is that the holster is for my husband's S&W Model 19 which has a longer barrel than my S&W 65LS. So, the holster is longer than I'd like and I always fear it causes the grips of my lady to show. I don't know if a shorted holster will help or not.

The holster is on my right side just in front of my hip, when I do carry.

Mrs. Tink
09-13-2007, 10:51
Well, my hips really aren't that large, but I use an Uncle Mike's.

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/inside_the_pant_holsters.html

They are soft and don't dig or poke anywhere. I like to carry such that I can do a bit of a cross-draw. The big limiting factor before was the size of my firearm. My Walther PPS feels MUCH smaller than my P99. The P99 isn't much of a carry gun except in a purse anyway.

My husband's Sidearmor, while an excellent product, never worked for me either.

Wardrobe adjustments might be easier with the advent of cooler weather. A jacket covers all problems. ;)

emt1581
09-13-2007, 13:57
Originally posted by Mrs. Tink

Wardrobe adjustments might be easier with the advent of cooler weather. A jacket covers all problems. ;)

First off, thank you both for your replies :)

Let's talk about wardrobe for a second. With cooler weather on the way, it might be possible to adjust things with a few new pair of pants/jeans/etc.

The problem is that 99% of women's clothing is made to fit VERY tight from the hips down, but when you bend over it loosens up in certain spots and flexes to no extent.

Without wearing baggy pants or men's pants, what ideas do yall have that would best accommodate a holster?

:wavey: Back-atcha C-mama ;)

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Lynn D
09-17-2007, 20:45
Originally posted by emt1581
First off, thank you both for your replies :)

Let's talk about wardrobe for a second. With cooler weather on the way, it might be possible to adjust things with a few new pair of pants/jeans/etc.

The problem is that 99% of women's clothing is made to fit VERY tight from the hips down, but when you bend over it loosens up in certain spots and flexes to no extent.

Without wearing baggy pants or men's pants, what ideas do yall have that would best accommodate a holster?

:wavey: Back-atcha C-mama ;)

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I'll chime in here on the clothing issue. I'm a short girl with that lucky combination of "no waist, and all hips (and belly). I comfortably conceal with layers, especially in winter. No biggie really.

Overall, as far as women's clothing is concerned, accomodating a holster is all about how you carry. What I mean is, carry how you want, but understand you might need to change sites, or belts depending on what you wear. For example, I have some cargo pants from Gander Mtn. They have a drawstring and beltloops. I find I'm more comfortable carrying my Kahr in a Uncle Mike's soft holster with just the drawstring to support them. If I wear a belt with my Bianchi Pro, I'm not nearly as comfy. With my jeans, which fit properly (not a size to large), a belt and my Bianchi. With my denim skirt, depends on whether I wear a belt or not....

Mostly I wear right on the hip (along the outseam). Some of my pants require me to carry a bit more forward for comfort or concealment, and some further back.

Short story....she'll need to experiment to see what works for what she likes to wear. Best wishes to you both!

emt1581
09-17-2007, 21:25
Originally posted by Lynn D
I'll chime in here on the clothing issue. I'm a short girl with that lucky combination of "no waist, and all hips (and belly). I comfortably conceal with layers, especially in winter. No biggie really.

Overall, as far as women's clothing is concerned, accomodating a holster is all about how you carry. What I mean is, carry how you want, but understand you might need to change sites, or belts depending on what you wear. For example, I have some cargo pants from Gander Mtn. They have a drawstring and beltloops. I find I'm more comfortable carrying my Kahr in a Uncle Mike's soft holster with just the drawstring to support them. If I wear a belt with my Bianchi Pro, I'm not nearly as comfy. With my jeans, which fit properly (not a size to large), a belt and my Bianchi. With my denim skirt, depends on whether I wear a belt or not....

Mostly I wear right on the hip (along the outseam). Some of my pants require me to carry a bit more forward for comfort or concealment, and some further back.

Short story....she'll need to experiment to see what works for what she likes to wear. Best wishes to you both!

Oh wonderful, as if a closet full of SHOES wasn't enough!!!:upeyes:

Seriously though, if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. We just both agree that a purse holster isn't the way to go 100% of the time.

Thanks for the info!:)

-Emt1581