why are you learning(practicing)fighting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : why are you learning(practicing)fighting?

billybybose
09-12-2007, 18:49
Im never without a gun but I practice tkd because there may be times you have to start out h2h.It might help with gun retention.Its good exercise and sparring just plain rocks

Halojumper
09-13-2007, 21:35
Originally posted by billybybose
Im never without a gun but I practice tkd

You better stick with the gun

gr81disp
09-14-2007, 01:22
I didn't want to be the one who said that.

Halojumper
09-14-2007, 06:45
Originally posted by gr81disp
I didn't want to be the one who said that.

But you were thinking it! :)

gr81disp
09-15-2007, 00:50
Obviously louder than I knew.

Gonetodarkside
09-15-2007, 16:13
have a 2nd dan in tkd, say what you want about it...

however, i can say that i have no, "style" and only do what works...

using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation

BLAZE
09-15-2007, 16:31
Originally posted by billybybose
Im never without a gun but I practice tkd because there may be times you have to start out h2h.It might help with gun retention.Its good exercise and sparring just plain rocks

I practice Tang Soo Do! About the same as TKD but we are better sparrers. ;)It does rock. :) Wanna Spar. LOL.:thumbsup:

Halojumper
09-15-2007, 16:47
Originally posted by Gonetodarkside
however, i can say that i have no, "style" and only do what works...

using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation

Okay Bruce, but rhetoric won't save your butt! :)

ltgibson2001
09-15-2007, 20:20
Is that like the Bruce Lee line in Enter The Dragon.

The Art of Fighting Without Fighting

Gonetodarkside
09-16-2007, 08:41
Originally posted by ltgibson2001
Is that like the Bruce Lee line in Enter The Dragon.

The Art of Fighting Without Fighting

naah, but close..

using no way as way and having no limitations as limitation is the mantra behind jeet kune do.

jeet kune do, is a way of living, being, and practicing not just martial arts but life. what it means is to use what works, disreguard the rest, and draw from your own experiences. basically its a fancier and older way of saying MMA.

samarai
09-16-2007, 09:26
I hate to say it, but most of the "McDojo's" out there teach nothing that resembles true fighting, or self defense. The majority of these so-called "martial artists" could not fight their way out of a wet paper bag. There are some schools that do teach defensive skills, but they are few and far between. A lot of these martial artists cannot even take a punch due to lack of real, hardcore training. Due to mixed martial arts and the evolution of fighting, many of the traditional martial arts no longer apply. Don't forget about weapons. Man has evolved into a tool-bearing animal through evolution. TKD and other similar disciplines like Kung Fu may have been viable self defense systems at one point, but they are hard pressed today keeping pace w/ some the combat oriented systems like "Krav Maga" formulated by the Israelis or Muy Thai kick boxing. One of the best systems of defense that can be learned fairly quickly is good old fashioned boxing. You'll learn how to punch and take a punch, and you will get in great shape. Remember, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, aka a punch...

ksglocker
09-17-2007, 11:07
TKD is too much a sport, or at least it was as I learned it. We didn't really practice kicks below the waist. I won't say it has no real world applications as I've seen too many guys get knocked out/stopped by kicks in MMA, but IMO any one martial art alone is only going to offer help in a few certain given situations. I'd study MMA given a choice. I wish I'd wrestled and had the opportunity to study BJJ and Muay Thai back in the day. I think MMA training is the way to go for unarmed self-defense.

As for why I took TKD back in the day, it was all that was offered in my small town. I got in terrific shape and had a lot of fun. And I learned how to throw a pretty good kick.

Neero
09-21-2007, 08:42
I've been studying JKD for the past year or so. Recently been focusing a lot on submission wrestling (elements of Greco-Roman, JJ/BJJ, Judo, etc.) since my school is going to compete three weeks from now. Also doing boxing/kick boxing and Kali nightly too.

I got into MA mainly because I always wanted to really learn it and loved the philosophy side of JKD. Found out a new school popped up in my area from an instructor who learned from Inosanto and I tried it out. Icing on the cake was the BJJ aspect that I knew I sucked at but also knew I wanted to learn. Even after a year I still see myself as struggling even though I know I've improved tremendously. I understand the movements and why they're done, it's getting my body to do them as reaction that's the hard part for me.

I also wanted to learn the finer points of fighting for the sake of writing. One of my favorite authors is known for his fight choreographing in battles (fantasy genre.) I hope to be better at him in this one day.

Oh, and chicks dig it when you tell them you train MMA.

Petra
09-25-2007, 22:44
Everyone recommending MMA, BJJ, etc...that's all well and good if you can practice those arts. I've got a bad back and bad knees. I've tried a few classes of BJJ and Jiu Jitsu. My body just won't take it anymore. Any recommendations? I've been thinking about Wing Chun or Arnis. I would love to try Krav Maga, but I haven't found a school in my area yet. Any suggestions for other arts would be great.

Gonetodarkside
09-25-2007, 23:08
Originally posted by Petra
Everyone recommending MMA, BJJ, etc...that's all well and good if you can practice those arts. I've got a bad back and bad knees. I've tried a few classes of BJJ and Jiu Jitsu. My body just won't take it anymore. Any recommendations? I've been thinking about Wing Chun or Arnis. I would love to try Krav Maga, but I haven't found a school in my area yet. Any suggestions for other arts would be great.

if you cant find krav maga, try haganah..

its sometimes called the F.I.G.H.T. program, it incorporates krav maga and several other martial arts..

its also israeli tied, and some argue its better than krav..

however, dont forget, its not the art that wll make you better... its you that will make you better...

MARTIN FISHER
10-05-2007, 09:45
I study martial arts: shoothing, GJJ, JKD concepts and others because I enjoy doing it.

I am older now and I do not heal as fast as I used to, but the joy of learning something new is still there. Pulling off something new in sparring is a great feeling.

I am currently working along the lines of gun/knife/H2H intigration and good conditioning/flexablity workouts.

ArodJohns
10-05-2007, 09:59
I got started when I was in Middle School and was hyper active. I started out in Karate at the Y, and then my freshman year of HS I started Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu. Now, it's MT, BJJ and sub wrestling with a little general ground fighting.

I do it because I get bored easily, and it's something I enjoy. It helps alot with stress and some with lonliness.

I'm going through a rough patch of time and it's helped A LOT with it.

capnjim01
10-11-2007, 20:23
Originally posted by Petra
Everyone recommending MMA, BJJ, etc...that's all well and good if you can practice those arts. I've got a bad back and bad knees. I've tried a few classes of BJJ and Jiu Jitsu. My body just won't take it anymore. Any recommendations? I've been thinking about Wing Chun or Arnis. I would love to try Krav Maga, but I haven't found a school in my area yet. Any suggestions for other arts would be great. COMBAT HAP KI DO try the ICHF website. I trained in TKD for 20 years and Combat HKD for 6 I'm 56 years old this week and the HKD is much easier on the knees and back. Although the black belt class was a little rough tonight.

BlackBelt
10-23-2007, 07:13
Everyone should practice martial arts because someone, somewhere, is planning on killing them if they have something the bad guy wants. There are people out there that wouldn't think twice about killing you over a popsicle, or a matchbook, or a dollar.
Those types of people are in every city.
They lack moral compass.
Be able to defend yourself.

G23shooter
10-23-2007, 07:26
Learning anything H2H combat wise is good, being good enough at it so that it becomes your natural reaction under stress is a whole different story.

If you are looking for a fighting style to train in with the forsight of using it under streesful conditions I would look no further than boxing with a little training in wrestling. Both are far more natural reactions in the real world than any form of karate.

I have seen pleanty of black belts being picked up from in front of the bars and frat houses in my day. Most of them were taken out by someone who was able to take a punch, get in close, and pound the crap out of them. Karate works when both are using it, when you are getting into a ring where you mentaly prepare yourself to be using it, unless you have been practicing for a long time it will not be your reaction when you get cracked in the jaw.