Ride to live, live to ride (another day!) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ride to live, live to ride (another day!)

Razoreye
09-13-2007, 16:45
Got flipped over a car yesterday. Removed for ongoing reasons. CYA. I can barely type so I won’t go through all the details, but watch out y’all 'cause you really are invisible but definitely not invincible!!! Time for more Percocet!

PS - my bike is totaled, pics will come at a later date.

Bullwinkle J Moose
09-13-2007, 16:59
Glad you were not hurt more seriously. You might consider lawyering up if you want to recoup your losses and not end up losing $$$. Dealing with insurance adjusters is a real pain in the keister.

What bike did you lose?

Razoreye
09-13-2007, 18:58
Originally posted by Bullwinkle J Moose
Glad you were not hurt more seriously. You might consider lawyering up if you want to recoup your losses and not end up losing $$$. Dealing with insurance adjusters is a real pain in the keister.

What bike did you lose? 2001 Katana

Suing might be my only option, dunno if that guy has insurance. It's a mess.

Thanks.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
09-13-2007, 22:58
Wow that really sucks. No insurance? May be time for a good-old ATF style burn/shoot.

oldgraywolf
09-14-2007, 04:34
I'm glad you're ok, sorry that your intro to riding had to turn to crap so quickly. It took me 14 years to crash the first time (deer, 1983), but I learned to be paranoid about riding early on. There are soooooo many ways the four-wheeled crowd can mess up your day that you'll never be able to plan for all of them.

I hope you feel good enough about the sport to get another bike and return to riding. I was mighty jumpy when I got back aboard six months after crashing, but it passed and I was a smarter, safer rider.

Side note: A good buddy got his first bike this summer at age 40 and crashed it two weeks later, broke his collarbone but ok otherwise. He went into a curve too fast (for him, not really) and braked. That stood the bike up enough for him to lose his line and he high-sided into the weeds.

Razoreye
09-14-2007, 05:10
**** happens that just can't be avoided. It'll be a while before I can ride again. I swear if this guy doesn't have insurance... no punishment is great enough!!

oldgraywolf
09-14-2007, 05:57
I think the earlier advice to lawyer up is a good idea. You will want to be able to afford rehab and most medical insurance plans don't cover that very well. Make the idiot pay for hurting you. Don't get mad, get even.

Goldendog Redux
09-14-2007, 06:13
Dang, did you even have the bike for a month? Sorry to hear about your splatter. My ass gets real puckered going into "left turn sally land". Crashing sucks for sure.

Heal fast, ride fast,
MF

DARKSHADOW
09-14-2007, 07:34
Glad to hear you're still with us. :thumbsup:

I'm also glad that all my two wheeler's are bicycle's.
I have had enough close calls on my bicycle's to make me happy to be able to stop fast enough and not get squished, let alone being on a motorcycle and going too fast to stop in time.

I still want to get a motorcycle but, where I live in florida, it's not the brightest thing to do.

Stay safe, you're one of the lucky one's. :cheers:

XMM
09-14-2007, 07:42
Geez, sorry this happened to you, Raze. How long have you been riding?

Razoreye
09-14-2007, 07:52
Originally posted by Goldendog Redux
Dang, did you even have the bike for a month? Sorry to hear about your splatter. My ass gets real puckered going into "left turn sally land". Crashing sucks for sure.

Heal fast, ride fast,
MF Just under a month. I got a starter bike so to speak so it didn't hurt too bad now that it is gone. It sucks especially since I was respecting the bike and driving safely.

Razoreye
09-14-2007, 07:53
Originally posted by XMM
Geez, sorry this happened to you, Raze. How long have you been riding? Year and a half, this bike for a month.

Thanks for y'all's support.

whogasak47
09-14-2007, 11:52
Glad you made it. Getting an attorney is the BEST way to handle it.
Getting a ball bat,breaking both a hand and a leg of the cage driver does not work out well in the end. We all crash, some yesterday,some tomorrow. Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

norton
09-14-2007, 13:08
I'm gonna have to go the other way on the attorney idea.
if the guy has insurance, I would wait and see how his company treats you.
there is always time to get a lawyer later. just don't sign anything until you are sure.
my attorney was next to useless-unless you call taking $5000 from the settlement useful-
the settlement dragged out far too long because of him.

oh, and ride safe.

Razoreye
09-14-2007, 14:43
I'd much prefer insurance but let's just say the black folk around here mysteriously get around that so I'm worried. He has 30 days on that ticket so I'm hoping he has some. I'm looking at 20k+ in expenses.

fnfalman
09-14-2007, 17:57
http://www.russbrown.com

Call them! They have affiliations in all of the states.

oldgraywolf
09-14-2007, 18:13
fnfalman, thanks for that tip. I've bookmarked it and hope I never need it.

epsylum
09-14-2007, 18:34
I had a new car totaled a year or so ago. The chick that ran the light and caused the 3 car wreck did not have insurance. I had uninsured/underinsured coverage and I actually got more money because she was uninsured.

Glad your alright. My brother's knee is jacked up for the rest of his life because some cornhole country bumpkin in a pickup ran a light and t-boned him on his bike.

Razoreye
09-15-2007, 11:30
Originally posted by fnfalman
http://www.russbrown.com

Call them! They have affiliations in all of the states. Thanks. My bike is all ****ed up looking at it now. :sad:

fnfalman
09-17-2007, 13:09
I just barely got away with a sideswipe by an asswipe who didn't look where he was going. He was in his own lane and I was in mine (center lane) and the bastard (right lane) just came right over. I was passing him slowly because the traffic was heavy on the freeway and nobody was doing much over 30. There was a line of car on my left lane (far left) so I was crawling along trying to keep both eyes on both lanes to the sides of me. Lo and behold, the bastard swung over into my lane without even a turn of the head. I swerved to the left to dodge and hoped that I wasn't going to cross over to the far left lane and get my ass ran over. His vehicle's door actually contacted my crash cage in a glancing blow. It also partially brushed my leg. It impacted my right leg but thank goodness no injuries.

I came to a shuddering stop but didn't cross over the far left lane and he swerved back to his lane, after a quick check to make sure nothing was broken, I chased after the bastard and yelled for him to pull over, threatening to call the cop if he were to try to run. He pulled over and tried to say that I hit him! Let's just say that I was having some flowery languages for him. The SOB had the temerity to be indignant because I was cussing him out. He said nothing happened and wanted to shrug it off. I told him that he almost killed me and he said nothing happen? I demanded to see his driver's license and insurance. The bike didn't look damage but who knows right then and there the status of myself or the motorcycle. Anyway, the SOB didn't have a driver's license (yes, he's foreign but not what you think) and the insurance of the vehicle (not his, naturally) was expired. So I told him that I'm calling the cops right now and he said that he will call the owner then jabbered away in the same foreign tongue that I couldn't recognize (he looked Middle-Eastern). Five minutes later the owner showed up and asked what happened then he claimed that my bike looked undamage and that we should go on. I said Bull Freakin' Crap and now I am getting connected to the CHiP's local branch on my cell phone. The guy asked me to hang up so that we can talk.

I said that I will take my vehicle in for assessment for damages and whatever it is, he and his buddies better pay up because I'm not gonna call the cops or the insurance company but I'm gonna come for them since that I am doing them a favor by not contacting the cops right now. I said that if they weren't going to live up to the agreement, I'm gonna do to them what the Arabs have been trying to do to them all these years. Guess who these foreigners are?

Anyway, they were lucky because my bike was undamaged other than a minor scratch on my crash cage and a nice gash on the Isuzu Trooper's door.:banana:

Razoreye
09-17-2007, 16:58
Bastards.

23' is where I started braking which sounds right. Get on any vehicle at 35 mph and tell me how close 23' is. ;)

It'll be months before my wrist is right. This just blows.

oldgraywolf
09-18-2007, 06:06
Originally posted by Razoreye
Bastards.

It'll be months before my wrist is right. This just blows.

What pisses me off more than anything is that people in cars and trucks don't realize (or care) that their inattention or outright stupidity can, in an eyeblink, lead to a motorcyclist's death or disability. In almost forty years of riding, I've had more close calls than I could possibly remember, but people still keep coming up with new stuff to further lower my opinion of the average driver.

I still remember the days when rednecks would actually try to run us off the road or otherwise eff with us, had it happen to me a few times. Now, it's just plain idiots all around us, all the time.

I'm fortunate in that I'm retired and live in a rural area with lots of great, scenic places to ride. I ride almost exclusively on weekdays to avoid all the flatlanders who come to my part of the world every weekend, all summer long. I've learned to avoid traffic as a survival skill. I take my chances with deer to avoid human idiots.

Razoreye, good luck on your recovery. Physical therapy should be a big part of your plans if it isn't already. I've got a good friend who has a wrist that doesn't move from a dirtbike accident 30 years ago.

Razoreye
09-19-2007, 18:40
Originally posted by oldgraywolf
What pisses me off more than anything is that people in cars and trucks don't realize (or care) that their inattention or outright stupidity can, in an eyeblink, lead to a motorcyclist's death or disability. In almost forty years of riding, I've had more close calls than I could possibly remember, but people still keep coming up with new stuff to further lower my opinion of the average driver.

I still remember the days when rednecks would actually try to run us off the road or otherwise eff with us, had it happen to me a few times. Now, it's just plain idiots all around us, all the time.

I'm fortunate in that I'm retired and live in a rural area with lots of great, scenic places to ride. I ride almost exclusively on weekdays to avoid all the flatlanders who come to my part of the world every weekend, all summer long. I've learned to avoid traffic as a survival skill. I take my chances with deer to avoid human idiots.

Razoreye, good luck on your recovery. Physical therapy should be a big part of your plans if it isn't already. I've got a good friend who has a wrist that doesn't move from a dirtbike accident 30 years ago. Yup, yup.

I just got out of surgery 5 hours ago and am groggy as hell, lol. My arm is finally starting to "feel" since it was completely numb. Thank god for meds. I got 2 titanium plates in my arm now. :supergrin: **** my arm feels funky at the moment.

fnfalman
09-20-2007, 08:39
So, no wrist action for a while, huh? It's time to visit the Oriental massage parlour.:hugs:

Razoreye
09-21-2007, 10:55
Originally posted by fnfalman
So, no wrist action for a while, huh? It's time to visit the Oriental massage parlour.:hugs: LoL. I'll remember that. ;)

norton
09-23-2007, 08:56
while i was laying on a cot in the ambulance, my collar bone busted and the knowledge that my riding buddy was being life lined, i heard, but could not see, the lady that pulled out in front of both of us utter the classic "I didn't see you" line.
I am generally not an exciteable person. I didn't say anything to her, but thinking back on it I'm sure she didn't. Because she never looked in the first place.
riding on the streets requires acceptance that you are piloting the smallest and most vulnerable vehicle. after 30 + years of riding, I don't see car drivers as the enemy. they don't hate us or want to do us harm. they are just not concerned about us. they don't see us, because we are not perceived as a threat.

Razoreye
09-23-2007, 09:27
Totally agreed. No respect, IMO.

oldgraywolf
09-24-2007, 06:01
Originally posted by norton
after 30 + years of riding, I don't see car drivers as the enemy. they don't hate us or want to do us harm. they are just not concerned about us. they don't see us, because we are not perceived as a threat.

That's very true about many drivers. However, the ones who chap my hairy cheeks most are tailgaters. There are the young dumbass variety (male and female) who can't think beyond the next insignificant event in their lives, and the typically male pickup/ute drivers (I drive a big pickup, too) who are waaaaay too aggressive and full of themselves.

If a motorcyclist has to brake hard for any reason, or pops a tire, he becomes a bug when one of the above is behind him. When I was younger/dumber, I did brake checks to get people off my hiney. Now, I pull over and let them by and resume my pleasure without my eyes glued to my rearviews.