historical european martial arts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : historical european martial arts

doktor doom
09-14-2007, 10:20
Anyone here into Historical European Martial Arts? I'm thinking about becoming a member of ARMA and maybe trying to start a study group here in town.

I'm mostly interested in it as a form of exercise, and as a way to sharpen my reaction time/ develop a martial mindset. The first reaction of normal people to violence is usually disbelief: "Oh my gawrsh, I can't believe this is happening to me." I think martial arts may be a way to help me reduce the time elapsed between being attacked and responding forcefully. I don't plan on using a sword or polearm as a primary tool for defense, but I figure it might have some applications in defending myself from knife or bat weilding assailants.

Also, the idea of studying a martial art that speaks to my ancestral heritage, rather than something from the orient, is appealing to me.

gr81disp
09-15-2007, 00:56
In that case, Boxing, and Lancastershire catch-as-catch-can wrestling. Both originated in England (well, at least under the Queensbury rules) and are extremely effective for self defense and exercise. Catch-as-Catch-Can (CCC) is basically what pro wrestling started out as before it was fake. You can pin or submit your opponent. STAY AWAY FROM MATT FUREY!!! Also, folkstyle and freestyle wrestling are always good.

More striking oriented, you can go with...fencing? There aren't very many striking arts from the West besides boxing, but we OWN ground fighting. (Brazil is considered part of the west). I guess Savate, but truthfully, it isn't very effective. Besides, boxing is effective, fun, and a great workout, plus you get used to getting hit, which is always a good thing in a fight. If you get hit and aren't used to it, chances are you are going to panic and get hurt very, very badly.

TacticalBling
09-26-2007, 13:11
One word: Fiore'

You might be interested in the works of Fiore' dei Liberi, an Italian master duellist from around the late 14th century. I heard about him through Mr. Bob Charron, whom I met at a small tournament I participated in several years ago. This gentleman runs an academy of European martial arts based in Wisconsin.

Anyway, Fiore' was a renowned duellist whose technique had a basis in unarmed combat (he boasted proudly that none of his students lost a wrestling match), then covered daggers, batons, arming swords, long swords, up through the Bec de Corbin and poleaxe.

Mr. Charron's seminar there covered enough of the basics of Fiore's system that I could see plenty of parallels between his grappling style and techniques you'd find in a Jujutsu dojo. It really is a complete martial art--if only I had the means to study it more! :)

Anyway, here's the link: St. Martin's Academy (http://www.stmartinsacademy.com/index.htm)

Hope you find this useful! :wavey: