chickahominy free pistol range closed for good [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : chickahominy free pistol range closed for good

zombie_dad
09-15-2007, 23:59
I drove 40 miles each way to take my son to the range at Chickahominy (in Charles City Co)and found the pistol range to be permantely closed. The rifle range was still up but the pistol side was boarded up. I talked to several people that said that they were "regulars", and they said that just my having my pistol in my holster could get me a ticket, and that the game warden was actively getting people. I asked why this has occured, and was told that an off-duty cop had shot up the honeybucket & several of the wood stantions, and the range officials were tired of repairing the pistol range side, so they'd close it for good.
I thought about shooting on the rifle side, but was told that only .44 and higher was alowed on the rifle range. I guess there is no such thing as a free range for pistols in Hampton Rhodes.

greener
09-16-2007, 18:43
According the VCDL, the DGIF was considering closing the range around the end of May because the range was for hunters and no one hunts with handguns. In a response to an email (September?) the Region 1 Manager said that the range was so popular that it had become "incompatible" with the aims and objectives of the CWMA.

The incidents you were describing happened last year. They have also had some problems with long gun shooters and, according to rumor, had undercover conservation officers on the range at times.

In the words of Col. Harry Potter, "horse pucky." VGDIF put up an excellent range. It was well used, but I never saw it really overcrowded. VGDIF did not put an announcement or request comments anywhere I could find. They have also made the range hours less convenient. I discovered the range was closed when I went there to shoot yesterday. I hadn't used it for quite some time. I'm pretty ticked at the State deciding to shut down an excellent facility and I'm ticked at the way they seem to have done it, on the quiet.

zombie_dad
09-16-2007, 19:23
Yesterday was when I went too. I guess I'm forced to use pay ranges for my glock!
:steamed:

greener
09-16-2007, 21:20
Originally posted by zombie_dad
I thought about shooting on the rifle side, but was told that only .44 and higher was alowed on the rifle range.

I assume you mean .44 handgun.

I was in the area and had a few hours to kill and decided that the range would be a good way to kill the time. I especially wanted to be able to make quick switches between the 17 yard targets and the 25 and 50 yarders.

Although most of my shooting recently has been at the Black Creek range, I think I'll try to raise a little cain with DGIF.

zombie_dad
09-17-2007, 06:12
Originally posted by greener
I assume you mean .44 handgun.

I was in the area and had a few hours to kill and decided that the range would be a good way to kill the time. I especially wanted to be able to make quick switches between the 17 yard targets and the 25 and 50 yarders.

Although most of my shooting recently has been at the Black Creek range, I think I'll try to raise a little cain with DGIF.

Let me know how it goes!!

sigpro357
09-17-2007, 10:07
I could see it coming. The new range built at Phelps Wildlife Management area doesn't even have provisions for a pistol range. It doesn't cost alot to build these ranges, and they are a great sense of enjoyment for the community. I don't understand why they would do it either.

alien-Glocker
09-17-2007, 14:16
The new range built at Phelps Wildlife Management area

I am thinking of driving to the Phelps Wildlife Management area range in the next week or so.

I've read the info on their web page but its not very informative of the range itself. Can you please describe/provide an over view of the facility, or a picture if you have it.....(I'll be taking my son so I'll have to set up some sandbags, ect for him to shoot.)....thanks.

sigpro357
09-17-2007, 20:19
I think there is 5 shooting benches. It's all wood on a concrete slab and has a covered roof. You have a firing port out the front. There is a divider between you and the next firing lane. It's 100 yards in length. Bring your own targets and some clothes pins if you can remember. Last time I was there they had these target frames that are made of chicken wire. You need clothes pins to hold the targets onto the chicken wire target holders.

No handgun shooting allowed except for hunting type handguns if I remember. A really nice range.

alien-Glocker
09-18-2007, 05:02
Thanks for the info.

greener
09-18-2007, 19:30
No response from my representative on the VDGIF Board concerning the closure. It has been a short time. I also did some digging, and apparently several folks protested the pending closure in late May. I could find no response, Board Meeting Minutes or notices in the VA Register concerning this. Boy, these "public servants" certainly want to make changes without notifying the public, especially if it is a potentially unpopular decision. But, I guess I still believe that the government works for me, rather than the other way.

If I were paranoid, I could make a case that the Commenwealth minions want to limit handgun use by limiting places to shoot, something they can't get through the legislature. I'm glad I'm not paranoid.

zombie_dad
09-19-2007, 07:29
Originally posted by greener
No response from my representative on the VDGIF Board concerning the closure. It has been a short time. I also did some digging, and apparently several folks protested the pending closure in late May. I could find no response, Board Meeting Minutes or notices in the VA Register concerning this. Boy, these "public servants" certainly want to make changes without notifying the public, especially if it is a potentially unpopular decision. But, I guess I still believe that the government works for me, rather than the other way.

If I were paranoid, I could make a case that the Commenwealth minions want to limit handgun use by limiting places to shoot, something they can't get through the legislature. I'm glad I'm not paranoid.

I've been thinking the same thing.... it would be nice if the many don't have to suffer for the mistakes of the few.

vafish
09-19-2007, 08:53
Originally posted by sigpro357

No handgun shooting allowed except for hunting type handguns if I remember. A really nice range.

Since VDGIF rules for hunting say that you can use rimfire handguns for small game and centerfire handguns have to be at least .23 caliber and 350 ft lbs of muzzle energy for deer hunting, you should be able to shoot any .22 cal handgun or any handgun of about 9MM or greater, since they all are legal hunting guns.

greener
09-19-2007, 18:27
Not sure how much hunting I'd do with a 9mm or .45, but I do have 4 .22 handguns that would do well for squirrels and such. Too bad VDGIF doesn't know that folks might use them for that.

Navy87Guy
09-20-2007, 19:56
Originally posted by zombie_dad
I talked to several people that said that they were "regulars", and they said that just my having my pistol in my holster could get me a ticket, and that the game warden was actively getting people.

Uh...a ticket for what??

Jim

John Fry
09-20-2007, 20:51
Uh...a ticket for what??

For having a holstered gun at a gun range. The CW Phelps range is bench rest shooting only. The VDGIF teaches people to practice as they would hunt. How many people hunt from a bench rest? Huntng standing up is not allowed anymore I guess.

The real reason the VDGIF is not responsive to the people is that they are too busy enriching themselves at the public expense.

Thursday, Sep 20, 2007 - 12:14 PM Updated: 01:16 PM

By KRISTEN GELINEAU
Richmond, VA - A grand jury has indicted the former director of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries and two other former employees, alleging misuse of state funds.

The Richmond multi-jurisdiction grand jury indicted former department director William Woodfin Jr. and former game wardens Michael Caison and Terry Bradbery on Sept. 12. The indictments were unsealed Thursday.

Woodfin and board chairman Dan Hoffler, a Virginia Beach developer, resigned in 2005 after a 51-page audit accused department officials of waste, cronyism, misuse of state property and retaliation against employees after it was revealed that Woodfin, Hoffler, Caison and Bradbery went on a 2004 African safari. Although Hoffler eventually picked up the tab for the trip, the audit questioned purchases of hunting gear for the excursion charged to state credit cards.

According to the state audit report, Hoffler gave Woodfin, Bradbery and Caison almost $50,000 worth of gifts. Two watercraft and an all-terrain vehicle owned by the agency were kept at Hoffler's waterfront home on the Eastern Shore, the audit found.

No other indictments are being sought, and the prosecution will be handled jointly by the Richmond Commonwealth's Attorney's Office and the Virginia Attorney General's Office, Chief Deputy Attorney General William Mims said in a statement.

Mims said as a result of the investigation, his office would propose legislation during the 2008 General Assembly session that specifically target the game department and the state and local government regarding the obligation to be "a good steward of our citizens' tax dollars."

greener
09-20-2007, 21:55
Originally posted by Navy87Guy
Uh...a ticket for what??

Jim

A ticket for carrying a loaded firearm in a WMA when you are not hunting? It was the practice for many folks who used the pistol range to open carry from the car to the range. Nothing was said about it then.

The last couple of times I was thee, the rangemaster told me that their were undercover CO's there who were ready to give tickets for also sorts of "violations" including failure to police brass. I know they had some problems, but I think they were few. I believe the state was just out to harrass enough people away to curtail use of the range. When that didn't work, they closed it without much, if any, notice.

Still no response from my district board rep (and chairman).

Navy87Guy
09-21-2007, 19:03
I guess my question is: where are these "laws" written down? I don't see anything on the DGIF website.

Jim

zombie_dad
09-27-2007, 08:47
**I've been wondering that myself**

Carlitos
09-27-2007, 13:13
If I am not shooting a handgun there, but only open carrying in a lawful manner (say, for personal protection) then I'd like to see them try to give me a ticket. As for concealed carry, their range was not on the list of prohibited locations that came with my VA State CCW. If they are giving tickets for open carry, then they will soon have VCDL on them like a pack of rabbid dogs.

greener
10-06-2007, 21:36
From [URL=http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/downloads/2007-2008-hunting-regulations.pdf[/URL]
Firearms
F It is unlawful to have in possession or in a vehicle a bow or
gun which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled except
when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasants, quail,
rabbit, raccoon, squirrel or turkey; and additionally, migratory
game birds on Department owned lands east of the Blue
Ridge; or by permit issued by the Department; or by concealed
handgun permit issued by a Circuit Court.
F It is unlawful to possess or transport a loaded gun in or on any
vehicle at any time on a WMA.
F Target shooting is permitted on designated ranges only..

Looks like open carry, unless you have a ccw is prohibited.

Still no reply from the Board. Wonder if I need to wander down to the next board meeting to get them to respond?