Anyone here hunted wild pigs in Philippines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here hunted wild pigs in Philippines


chowchow
09-16-2007, 21:13
I remember visiting the Bataan SHrine with the big cross atop the hill in 1993. Looking towards the north side is thick virgin forest going all the way to Subic Naval base. Someone told me theres plenty of wild hogs roaming in that thick rainforest. Other similar areas withe hogs abound are in Mindoro and Palawan. Wonder if some members here had experienced hunting Philippine Ilahas na Baboy . I bet the NPA rebels are taking all the fun huntng them, LOL.

I had the chance to hunt in 2000. This is a medium size feral hog taken somewhere in N Texas . Shot from 80 yds away with a .25 06 cal.

CatsMeow
09-16-2007, 21:51
Wild pig hunting used to be fairly common in Negros, but I haven't heard of these lately; I'll ask around. Or perhaps if these hunters fail to find a wild pig then the first gray-colored domestic pig they find is fair game.:supergrin: You know, the practice of "manukmo".

Yesterday, at the range, I finally got to fire a .308 bolt action rifle; more recoil than an M14 but not so bad.:)

chowchow
09-16-2007, 22:01
.308 caliber bolt action rifles are very accurate. Popular talaga yan dito na caliber. I was tempted to get one before a model Remington 788 but settled for a Remington 700 from a fellow club member.

Yeah, when as a kid I played with our neigborhood friends . One of them is a son whose dad was a former USAFFE vet. He owns a M 1 carbine. He goes to Camp Lookout in Mt Talinis and hunted deers. He had trophy heads mounted on their walls. Big time yun sila . Marami pang deers back in the 50s to 60s sa Negros. Oh well those were the days.

isuzu
09-16-2007, 22:02
Wild hogs are nearly extinct in Negros. We used to have a good supply coming from our farm which is at the foot of the mountains. Irresponsible hunting, trapping and deforestation clearly diminished the wild hog population in Negros.

There are moves to re-populate the remaining forests with wild hogs. IMHO, they and other wild animals should never be hunted again. They don't stand a chance to thrive if they were to hunted/trapped again because their habitat is shrinking.

Leave them for the future generations to see.;)

jerrytrini
09-16-2007, 22:09
I have hunted wild boars in the mountains of Zambales during my HS days. My father, uncle, movie star Mario Montenegro, and I went hunting and were lucky enough to have brought down some wild pigs. I was told by some farmers and old friends that wild game is again plentiful in the Zambales mountains. However, people are still afraid due to the presence of certain groups of people whose behaviour are beyond acceptable.

CatsMeow
09-16-2007, 22:18
Originally posted by chowchow
.308 caliber bolt action rifles are very accurate. Popular talaga yan dito na caliber. I was tempted to get one before a model Remington 788 but settled for a Remington 700 from a fellow club member.

Yeah, when as a kid I played with our neigborhood friends . One of them is a son whose dad was a former USAFFE vet. He owns a M 1 carbine. He goes to Camp Lookout in Mt Talinis and hunted deers. He had trophy heads mounted on their walls. Big time yun sila . Marami pang deers back in the 50s to 60s sa Negros. Oh well those were the days.

One prominent gun club member here had an M-2 carbine. I was sorely tempted to reach over and surreptitiously flick the selector to auto so that he'd get a nasty surprise.:supergrin:

No wonder I never heard of wild pig hunting lately, and those who do, speak of it in a nostalgic tone...

chowchow
09-16-2007, 22:24
Originally posted by jerrytrini
I have hunted wild boars in the mountains of Zambales during my HS days. My father, uncle, movie star Mario Montenegro, and I went hunting and were lucky enough to have brought down some wild pigs. I was told by some farmers and old friends that wild game is again plentiful in the Zambales mountains. However, people are still afraid due to the presence of certain groups of people whose behaviour are beyond acceptable.

Tutuo yan the Mt Pinatubo area was very thick forest too. No body thought it was a dormant volcano until the day.

chowchow
09-16-2007, 22:27
Originally posted by isuzu
Wild hogs are nearly extinct in Negros. We used to have a good supply coming from our farm which is at the foot of the mountains. Irresponsible hunting, trapping and deforestation clearly diminished the wild hog population in Negros.

There are moves to re-populate the remaining forests with wild hogs. IMHO, they and other wild animals should never be hunted again. They don't stand a chance to thrive if they were to hunted/trapped again because their habitat is shrinking.

Leave them for the future generations to see.;)



Grabe ang deforestation sa atin. Domestic livestocks na lang ang naiwan.

Glock_19_9x19
09-17-2007, 00:40
Sa batasan pag may session marami nyan..

enting
09-17-2007, 04:27
better hunt criminals, its a great help to the community. Kawawa naman mga wild boar.

Duckman1975
09-17-2007, 05:27
Wild pigs are getting very rare due to deforestation, I suggest you hunt for cane toads. Those damn pest are everywhere during the rainy season, especially in Pangasinan, and you are doing the ecology a favor hunting them. I know its no substitute for big game but I can assure you it can be lots of fun, plus if you want to save on ammo you can shot them with airrifles just as effective.

charlie-xray
09-17-2007, 05:31
Done hunting of deers in Bicol Legaspi at times Tiaong way back early 90's had the Antlers preserved in Laquer and mounted on a frame.

low profile
09-17-2007, 05:37
just wild chicks for me:thumbsup:

charlie-xray
09-17-2007, 05:39
Saaan yan bro low profile, masarap shoot...shootin

Originally posted by low profile
just wild chicks for me:thumbsup:

antediluvianist
09-17-2007, 06:28
Long time ago, I hunted wild pigs in Palawan. Around a place called "Del Pilar". Used to be (still is?) where San Mig got a lot of its sand for the bottles. There was a sandy airstrip.

Anyway, there were 3 ways of killing wild pigs : .22 rifles fired from a platform in a tree ; using shotguns, if you are on the ground ; and the best but least fun - "Pig bombs" - coconut husks that were hollowed out and explosive was put into them, with a detonating device (these things went off at night when the pigs foraged).

Don't know if there are many wild pigs left. Too many people.

Allegra
09-17-2007, 06:32
Wild animals here are almost extinct

chowchow
09-17-2007, 07:25
Originally posted by Allegra
Wild animals here are almost extinct


Overpop na kasi ang bayan. WIth more babies and expats coming in(Philippines, a retirement place), more lands are loss to deforestation . Plus the problem of insurgency in the countrysides, the wild games are gone for good.

The island of Borneo (Inodnesis) is still known to be highly forested and full of wild hogs.

chowchow
09-17-2007, 07:25
Originally posted by low profile
just wild chicks for me:thumbsup:

Nako, ang dami kahat saan dyan huh. Magaganda pa.:hugs:

chowchow
09-17-2007, 07:31
Originally posted by Glock_19_9x19
Sa batasan pag may session marami nyan..

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/09/11/philippines.estrada.ap/index.html?eref=rss_world

Could he be one ?

jerrytrini
09-17-2007, 16:12
In addition, the forest that has the most wild animals is the former US Naval Base Subic Bay. If you would notice the thick vegetation in and around this installation. Hunting was stopped since Subic Bay was developed into a military installation in the late 1900's. You can imagine the size of deer, pythons, boar etc. In the early evening hours, motorists can see different animals crossing the roadways in Binictican all the way to Kalayaan.

The creeks that cut across the golf course fairways are full of fish as well. I was playing golf one morning when I noticed several Aetas knee deep in water. They told me they were harvesting "Suso" (shellfish)and "Pako" (edible ferns). They would even sell you freshly cut bamboo shoots.

chowchow
09-17-2007, 17:51
Macaque monkeys still abound even today

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/philippine_mammals/PRIMATES/Cercopithecidae/Macaca_fascicularisLHjpg

Allegra
09-17-2007, 18:43
Originally posted by chowchow
Macaque monkeys still abound even today

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/philippine_mammals/PRIMATES/Cercopithecidae/Macaca_fascicularisLHjpg


No they do not
Kokonti nalang yan ngayon
Besides , one of the reserch facilities ng CDC han sa states was shut down because the monkeys had ebola
Source of these monkeys? PI

chowchow
09-17-2007, 20:22
Pina trap at pina benta for research animals or as house pets?

CrossfireG30
09-20-2007, 23:51
In catanduanes island where i was assigned before, farmers there trap wild pigs using bamboo stakes. they would sell them for 60 pesos per kilo..... sarap sa inuman.
BTW i think ive read before that the monkeys were captured for research purposes.

antediluvianist
09-21-2007, 00:18
Well, I once had a beautiful sight-picture on a big, fat pig. But I didn't fire, I let him go. Now he's in the Senate.

s.g
09-21-2007, 06:18
Originally posted by antediluvianist

Anyway, there were 3 ways of killing wild pigs : .22 rifles fired from a platform in a tree ; using shotguns, if you are on the ground ; and the best but least fun - "Pig bombs" - ....

Sir, would you please elaborate on using a .22 rifle? What areas do you aim for and how many shots?

Thank you,

antediluvianist
09-21-2007, 06:46
The food-bait was below the trees in easy firing range, but not right under the tree where the shooters were. There were two people with SEMIAUTOMATIC .22s in a platform up a tree. Fairly tall trees in Palawan at that place, but the platforms were not so high up, maybe twice as high as a basketball rim is from the court.

Well, you had to wait a lot, and this had to be at night because that was when the pigs went around to look for food.

Where to shoot the pig? Well, a headshot was the ideal but actually after the first shot you just kept shooting into the thing.

One good headshot was enough to kill it . In Palawan, the wild pigs had tusks but they were not as big as boars in, say, Africa.

The other things we hunted/shot were tabon birds, bats - they sleep during the day so you could shoot several of them as they hung upside down before they all woke up - and one guy used a shotgun on a monkey. And a wild goat.

I got sick from some mosquitoes. Not malaria but something. Terrible insects.

chowchow
09-21-2007, 07:47
Originally posted by CrossfireG30
In catanduanes island where i was assigned before, farmers there trap wild pigs using bamboo stakes. they would sell them for 60 pesos per kilo..... sarap sa inuman.
BTW i think ive read before that the monkeys were captured for research purposes.


For sale or as pets for sale,

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/attachments/photo-board/1603d1189163343-what-you-call-torture-torture-1.jpeg.jpg

gen1
09-23-2007, 00:00
Originally posted by isuzu
Wild hogs are nearly extinct in Negros. We used to have a good supply coming from our farm which is at the foot of the mountains. Irresponsible hunting, trapping and deforestation clearly diminished the wild hog population in Negros.

Leave them for the future generations to see.;)

marami pang wild hogs sa negros. bandang villacin sa cadiz city, meron, first hand experience ko.

the RPAs allow the trapping of wild pigs. ewan ko lang sa hunting, baka arborin ng rpa ang pusil mo :supergrin: .

deer ang bawal na bawal kunin sa negros. and the rpa's are very good forest rangers :)

s0nny_g17
10-03-2007, 11:21
theres a place here in quezon province for wild boar and deer hunting, anyone interested? hinde ko pa nasubukan pero inaaya ako nun kaibigan ko kaya share ko sa inyo. april daw ang ok.

dnotrex
10-05-2007, 01:21
my location is subic bay. yes there are still wild boars roaming around the base(SBMA)especially in binictican and navmag area, but now they are protected. hunting is Prohibited. yes you can play golf while those creatures running around the fairway...But still some end up in the market. the monkey now are considered here as pest....nakgkakalkal ng basura and steal your food, bags anything that they would considered containing food.

yes Mt. Pinatubo have various flora and fauna before the eruption. When i was a kid i use to hunt along the sto. tomas river..mostly birds like bato-bato, tikling and pugo...my pop took me hunting there in Mt Pinatubo, with aeta guides also packing hi-powers like the M1 garands and M2 carbines. the games were deers and wild boars. i never got one since i most of the time am occupied with my transcievers and birds..but it was an experience.

in Zambales province its regular to see people with hunting rifles before. but now 15 years after the eruption...the landscape have change but the wildlife is slowly getting back, the problem now is the presence of armed groups, who would like to borrow your FA....thats what they say barrow only...

i would like to see them go away.

gen1
10-06-2007, 02:03
kabibili ko lang ng wild pig last week sa cotabato. P80/kilo :supergrin:

chowchow
10-06-2007, 03:25
Ok malinamnam ano.

jerrytrini
10-06-2007, 10:41
"Tapang Baboy Damo" is the best. For adobo, cook the meat longer and add a lot of garlic. Venison is the same. I soak the backstrap (tenderloin) in milk, refrigerate it then wash it off.

chowchow
10-06-2007, 12:49
lots of great info here at

www.texasboars.com

http://www.texasboars.com/hunting/

http://www.texasboars.com/photopost/

These folks make it a a lifetime hobby. Hanep ang mga gamit at techniques nila. Texas has the largest land area in the USA with highest wild hog population est 3 million or more. No bag limit and cn be hunted 24 hrs . These are nocturnal so okey lang sa gamewarden basta u have hunting license and permission to hunt in that land. Mahal din.

chowchow
10-06-2007, 12:55
My brother in law is from Olongapo. I remember seeing a pic of him taken in the late 60s he was brandishing a Ruger mini 14. Early days of Marcos era, okey pa ang Pinas. We were the best in Asia .








Originally posted by dnotrex
my location is subic bay. yes there are still wild boars roaming around the base(SBMA)especially in binictican and navmag area, but now they are protected. hunting is Prohibited. yes you can play golf while those creatures running around the fairway...But still some end up in the market. the monkey now are considered here as pest....nakgkakalkal ng basura and steal your food, bags anything that they would considered containing food.

yes Mt. Pinatubo have various flora and fauna before the eruption. When i was a kid i use to hunt along the sto. tomas river..mostly birds like bato-bato, tikling and pugo...my pop took me hunting there in Mt Pinatubo, with aeta guides also packing hi-powers like the M1 garands and M2 carbines. the games were deers and wild boars. i never got one since i most of the time am occupied with my transcievers and birds..but it was an experience.

in Zambales province its regular to see people with hunting rifles before. but now 15 years after the eruption...the landscape have change but the wildlife is slowly getting back, the problem now is the presence of armed groups, who would like to borrow your FA....thats what they say barrow only...

i would like to see them go away.

gen1
10-06-2007, 14:01
Originally posted by jerrytrini
"Tapang Baboy Damo" is the best. For adobo, cook the meat longer and add a lot of garlic. Venison is the same. I soak the backstrap (tenderloin) in milk, refrigerate it then wash it off.

the balat cooks way much longer than the meat though. saka ang kunat !

but I agree that tapa is best. wala kasing taba.

Mang Danny
10-06-2007, 14:51
Originally posted by gen1
the balat cooks way much longer than the meat though. saka ang kunat !

but I agree that tapa is best. wala kasing taba.
Yun taba nga ang paborito ko! :supergrin:

charlie-xray
10-06-2007, 15:41
sir after marinating in milk, you wash it off so bale tenderizer lang po yung milk? am I right?

Originally posted by jerrytrini
"Tapang Baboy Damo" is the best. For adobo, cook the meat longer and add a lot of garlic. Venison is the same. I soak the backstrap (tenderloin) in milk, refrigerate it then wash it off.

jerrytrini
10-06-2007, 18:57
The milk removes the gamey taste. Kasi kung minsan tinataman ng knife ang scent glands. A minute drop of this gland will render your meat very unappealing to your nose. It is still edible though.
But if the hunter knows how to field dress, then no problem.

My father and our guides will wash the meat then bury it in salt. That's why, old school way, hunters bring a lot of salt and rice in their wicker packs. If they do not have a kill, then there is no meat for dinner and say hello to canned sardines or vienna sausages.

isuzu
10-06-2007, 19:50
Originally posted by gen1
marami pang wild hogs sa negros. bandang villacin sa cadiz city, meron, first hand experience ko.

the RPAs allow the trapping of wild pigs. ewan ko lang sa hunting, baka arborin ng rpa ang pusil mo :supergrin: .

deer ang bawal na bawal kunin sa negros. and the rpa's are very good forest rangers :)

We used to have a farm in the mountains of Cadiz (Macabal-ong), several kilometers from the Jerusalem train station of VMC. What was abundant in our area were bayawaks and wild cats. River snails from the Piyoc river (I hope I spelled it right) were also abundant. There could have been a resurgence of the wild hog population there.

There were a lot of wild hogs and spotted deer in my late grandfather's former farm in the mountains of Victorias.
:)

chowchow
10-06-2007, 21:01
Ive been to Fabrica town in 1980. Relative namin yung owner of the only moviehouse doon. Cadiz also is known for their cheap fresh seafoods market. Tapuktapuk lang. O pala i miss the pusit and dried fish.

dnotrex
10-07-2007, 18:52
Originally posted by jerrytrini
The milk removes the gamey taste. Kasi kung minsan tinataman ng knife ang scent glands. A minute drop of this gland will render your meat very unappealing to your nose. It is still edible though.
But if the hunter knows how to field dress, then no problem.

My father and our guides will wash the meat then bury it in salt. That's why, old school way, hunters bring a lot of salt and rice in their wicker packs. If they do not have a kill, then there is no meat for dinner and say hello to canned sardines or vienna sausages.

yup we bring a lot of rock salt when we hunt. sardines na rosebowl kun walang huli and don't forget ung matamis na BAO used as sugar sa coffee, sinasabay ko sa rice un..

usually, the wild pigs travel/moves around in groups of family...matriachal sila, nanay ung matapang. the aetas eat monkeys too but i don't have the stomach for that. deer meat also...sarap na sinigang.

*chowchow from wer ung brother in law mo d2 gapo?

chowchow
10-07-2007, 20:13
Dati isa sa mga nightclub owners along Magsaysay Avenue, hehehe. When Pinatubo erupted , the whole town went south. Since then I havent known what he is up to now. But he is a gunowner alright.

isuzu
10-07-2007, 21:07
Originally posted by chowchow
Ive been to Fabrica town in 1980. Relative namin yung owner of the only moviehouse doon. Cadiz also is known for their cheap fresh seafoods market. Tapuktapuk lang. O pala i miss the pusit and dried fish.

Cadiz is known for its top quality dried fish. My high school classmate owns several fishing boats and he's sent me dried fish and pusit to take back to Canada whenever we go home.

Fabrica is getting big now. We used to do our marketing in the town whenever we stayed at our former farm (we use the Faraon Institute road).

Missed those old, simple days.