Tick tock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tick tock

birdbarian
09-17-2007, 10:24
I applied for my Gwinnett permit today. Everybody was professional, cheerful and courteous. It cost me $1 for a 90 day renewal which they provided for me on the spot (which is only good thru 90 days from today). I went directly to the Police Annex and got fingerprinted. Hopefully I'll have my new permit within the 90 days.

I'm happy to say there were a lot of people applying for firearm permits.

SCC
09-17-2007, 17:49
just went to apply the other day in cobb co. but my permitt was out of date so the $1 DOLLAR thing FOR 90 DAY WAS OUT THE DOOR FOR ME THAT SUCK'S . THE NEW LAW IS NOW YOU HAVE TO REPLY I WANT TO SAY EVERY FIVE YEAR'S THE PRINTS AND ALL REDONE THEY JUST WANT OUR CASH THANK YOU GA. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!!!!:shocked: :shocked:

birdbarian
09-18-2007, 06:23
There were quite a few people annoyed by the re-application deal. I think the law was changed in '06. IIRC, the new law has to do with allowing you to buy a firearm w/o the background check because you have your GFL and have already been double-checked. That "feature" of the GFL went away at some point due to the feds changing some of their rules. For a while, you had to get the background check even if you had a GFL. The new law "fixed" that.

Personally, I'd rather pay the $5 renewal fee and they can do the instant background check on me when I buy the gun. I guess if I bought a lot of guns, I might feel differently.

SCC
09-20-2007, 17:05
Originally posted by birdbarian
There were quite a few people annoyed by the re-application deal. I think the law was changed in '06. IIRC, the new law has to do with allowing you to buy a firearm w/o the background check because you have your GFL and have already been double-checked. That "feature" of the GFL went away at some point due to the feds changing some of their rules. For a while, you had to get the background check even if you had a GFL. The new law "fixed" that.

Personally, I'd rather pay the $5 renewal fee and they can do the instant background check on me when I buy the gun. I guess if I bought a lot of guns, I might feel differently. :thumbsup: :supergrin:

MalumProhibitum
09-25-2007, 13:48
Originally posted by SCC
just went to apply the other day in cobb co. but my permitt was out of date so the $1 DOLLAR thing FOR 90 DAY WAS OUT THE DOOR FOR ME THAT SUCK'S . THE NEW LAW IS NOW YOU HAVE TO REPLY I WANT TO SAY EVERY FIVE YEAR'S THE PRINTS AND ALL REDONE THEY JUST WANT OUR CASH THANK YOU GA. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!!!!:shocked: :shocked:

HOW out of date?

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

You have 30 days after its expiration (or 90 days before) to demand a temporary renewal license.

MalumProhibitum
09-25-2007, 13:51
Originally posted by birdbarian

Personally, I'd rather pay the $5 renewal fee and they can do the instant background check on me when I buy the gun. I guess if I bought a lot of guns, I might feel differently.

You are right as to when the law changed and why, but the General Assembly unfortunately misunderstood what was needed to be done. Fingerprinting at renewal time was not a requirement (indeed, states that have no fingerprinting whatsoever still issue licenses that make their holders exempt from NICS at point of purchase). What was needed was to disqualify those who cannot purchase guns under federal law. That was it. Georgia made that change, and added a NICS (instant) check to the licensing process. That is all that was needed. The other changes were superfluous.

There is no need to re-fingerprint at renewal time.

birdbarian
09-27-2007, 15:21
It was issued yesterday, 9/26. That's pretty dang fast. I gave 'em my ssn even though I didn't have to. I wonder if that made any difference.

MalumProhibitum
09-28-2007, 11:56
12 days? :supergrin:

birdbarian
09-29-2007, 13:08
Originally posted by MalumProhibitum
12 days? :supergrin:

8 working days plus a day for the mail. Now I want my $1 back for the 90 day temporary license. I do wonder if giving my ssn had anything to do with it. Guess I'll never know.

:banana:

MalumProhibitum
09-30-2007, 08:43
I do not think giving your SSN had anything to do with it. GCO hears reports all the time from people who do not disclose or are not asked for their SSN and receive their license in a short period of time. On the other hand, we hear from people who disclose their SSN and are still waiting . . .