Good range in Mesa, AZ area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good range in Mesa, AZ area?

wimclend
09-17-2007, 11:09
greetings all,

I am not sure if this is the right local forum; my apologies if not

I am hopefully going to be visiting a friend of mine that lives in Mesa, Arizona in a month or two, and was wondering if anyone here in the GT community knew of any good ranges in that area.

Requirements would be that they have guns to rent as I don't want to go through the hassle of flying with mine, and my friend doesn't own one (yet). Indoor or outdoor doesn't really matter.

Thanks for any input :)

cheers,

wimclend

Scottsdale Thug
09-17-2007, 17:49
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717032

Cousin
09-22-2007, 09:31
Perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly, but the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club appears oriented more towards those who either like to compete - OR - who are really "into" shooting as a sport. The Scottsdale Gun Club OTOH is set up so you get yourself a lane and shoot what you want - with some limitations of course - no competition, no pressure, but with a focus on safety. When I shoot, it's to exercise my guns, practice my aim and hone my skills, not to compete. But, if you're really into shooting, then the former outdoor range sounds like tremendous bargain, both money-wise and environment-wise. Again, perhaps I'm misreading the P.R.& G.C. website.

Edit: My post here references the GT link in the post directly above and doesn't address the OP's question.

Cryptoboy
09-24-2007, 17:38
I don't believe PR&G rents guns though. I don't think I've seen an outdoor range that does out here (but then I've never asked at the ones I've been to).

If you want to stay in Mesa, Caswells is probably the closest (indoor range). It's just off Highway 60 and Mesa Dr (you can see the sign from the highway). They rent guns there too. I had a membership about 2 years ago. It's ok, they have renovated it on the inside (they can now accomodate rifles up, I think up to .30-30)

I'm not a big fan of the indoor sites, but it's quick and easy most of the time.

reconvic
10-09-2007, 22:05
Originally posted by Cryptoboy
I don't believe PR&G rents guns though. I don't think I've seen an outdoor range that does out here (but then I've never asked at the ones I've been to).

If you want to stay in Mesa, Caswells is probably the closest (indoor range). It's just off Highway 60 and Mesa Dr (you can see the sign from the highway). They rent guns there too. I had a membership about 2 years ago. It's ok, they have renovated it on the inside (they can now accomodate rifles up, I think up to .30-30)

I'm not a big fan of the indoor sites, but it's quick and easy most of the time.

Just avoid going in the summer no air and very hot I am a member and in the summer I go to SGC to enjoymyself instead of sweating so hard. The people there are tops, but they should add air there to keep the members.

AZ_Jayhawk
10-23-2007, 16:26
Scottsdale Gun Club has one of the best selection of rental guns I've ever seen. Depending on what part of Mesa you are located, the drive time is approximately 20 minutes during the mid-day when traffic is light.

The club is open to non-members. However, I would avoid going there on weekend days since members have priority over non-members.

shaggy135
10-27-2007, 04:02
Caswells is in Mesa. Right of the 60 and Stapley.

www.caswells.com

They have 2 cases full of guns you can rent.

Cochise
10-29-2007, 19:48
Id say Caswells also.

jenn2112
11-05-2007, 17:07
Caswells will be closest. It is an indoor range, lots of rental choices and ladies have free lane time on Tuesdays and Fridays.

The only two drawbacks, IMO, is that with each gun you rent you must buy their ammo and the fact that it is indoors has an effect on me personally - it gets darn loud in there, especially when crowded.

I only go there out of necessity, (it IS easier than grabbing all your gear and heading for the mountains), I try to go into Tonto Forest as much as possible, especially given the fact that I need to break in my G23c some more :D

You'll probably enjoy it, though. If you have the travel time and want to visit the largest public outdoor range in the country, check out Ben Avery:

http://www.basfaz.com/

Cryptoboy
11-08-2007, 10:31
Caswells will be closest. It is an indoor range, lots of rental choices and ladies have free lane time on Tuesdays and Fridays.

The only two drawbacks, IMO, is that with each gun you rent you must buy their ammo and the fact that it is indoors has an effect on me personally - it gets darn loud in there, especially when crowded.

No doubt about the loudness! I actually double bag it as it were on my ears when I go there! I use the foam plugs, and also a pair of cans when I'm at the indoor ranges.

jenn2112
11-08-2007, 14:59
No doubt about the loudness! I actually double bag it as it were on my ears when I go there! I use the foam plugs, and also a pair of cans when I'm at the indoor ranges.

Dang that's an excellent idea! Maybe I will go there more often if I "double bag" it. The cans just don't do it enough in there. It's the closest range to me, unless I want to go to Usery pass on the weekend and wait FOREVER.

Good tip!