Conceal Carry for military question. [Archive] - Glock Talk


View Full Version : Conceal Carry for military question.

09-17-2007, 19:21
The man who sold me my brand new G30 when I went home on leave told me that with me being active duty army I could obtain my Conceal Carry License with just a simple vist to the sheriffs office, no classes needed.

Is there any truth to this?

Also, I get out in about 3 months, would these rules apply to me as a veteran or just for me being active duty?

I live in SC, I would just call and ask but I'm in iraq for about another week,

Sgt. Schultz
09-17-2007, 21:11
Never heard that one before ... your application goes through SLED not your local sheriff.

From the actual CWP permit form ...

Eligibility: The applicant must: lawfully present in the United States;
2.not be a nonimmigrant alien;
3.not be prohibited by federal, state or local law from possessing firearms; a resident of South Carolina (residing permanently in SC or presently in SC with intent to become a permanent resident); a qualified non-resident who owns real property in South Carolina, but resides in another state; or military personnel in SC on permanent change of station orders; at least 21 years old;
6.have completed,within the last 3 years, a minimum 8-hour training course presented by a SLED-certified CWP instructor which must have covered the following topics:
(a) statutory and case law of SC relating to handguns and use of deadly force;
(b) handgun use and safety;
(c) proper storage practices for handguns that reduce possibility of accidental injury to children; and
(d) actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor; and
7.have a favorable background.

available at ...

09-21-2007, 07:05
The guy who sold you the G-30 lied to you. I was active duty when I got my SC CCW and I had to go through the same process as anyone else. The only thing being in the military could have done for me is exempted me from the range portion of the process by simply bringing in my weapons qualification card. I still opted to go through the whole process though.

As a veteran, the only benefit is if you are classified a disabled veteran, which I am. That exempts you from the renewal fee. All you need is a notarized copy of the paperwork the VA sends you and send that in with the renewal notice. That exemption is specifically covered in the application, by the way.

09-23-2007, 17:32
Up until HR218 retired police officers had to take the class.

09-25-2007, 02:20
thanks alot guys, I don't mind taking those clases if they'll get me closer to my permit

10-13-2007, 23:26
I thought I read somewhere or someone told me that if you have had handgun training or qualified with a handgun in the military and have the paper work you dont have to take the shooting part of the course, but the rest ya still do...

Sgt. Schultz
10-14-2007, 07:04
Originally posted by Koontzy
I thought I read somewhere or someone told me that if you have had handgun training or qualified with a handgun in the military and have the paper work you dont have to take the shooting part of the course, but the rest ya still do... Nope in SC you take it all, read my first response to the OP (# 6) or follow the link to the SLED website ... you can find all the requirements.

10-14-2007, 12:19
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz
Nope in SC you take it all, read my first response to the OP (# 6) or follow the link to the SLED website ... you can find all the requirements.

actually I found it and I was right... This is straight from the south carolina cwp application.

This will certify that this applicant has satisfactorily completed a training program, lasting not less than eight (8) hours and has met all requirements of Section 23-31-210, related statutes and SLED Regulations concerning Concealable Weapons Permit training.
EXEMPTION FROM TRAINING REQUIREMENTS : An applicant is exempt from the training requirement if he or she: (a) is an instructor certified by the NRA or another SLED-approved national organization promoting safe use of handguns; (b) is an active duty police handgun instructor; (c) has a SLED-certified or approved competitive handgun shooting classification; (d) is a member of the active or reserve military, or of the National Guard who has had handgun training in the last 3 years; (e) can demonstrate to the Chief of SLED or his designee a proficiency in both the use of handguns and state laws pertaining to handguns. No other exemptions exist.


10-14-2007, 12:24
so that means that I might be able to obtain my license in SC without having to do the classes?


10-14-2007, 12:43
no... you wont have to do the handgun shooting part of the test I think... you will still have to do the other part ofthe class though... I think... I havent done my cwp class yet so I dont know what all happens in it..

Sgt. Schultz
10-14-2007, 14:10
I stand corrected ... rereading the posts I see that CarlosC had already answered the question concerning the weapons qualification card. The whole class is a “piece of cake” with the range portion lasting around an hour.

10-16-2007, 15:42
To as I understand, I have to show records that I'll have prior Handgun training in the military in order for me to not have 8 hours training in order to get the CCL in SC

But where do I find the proof? Anyone know the form name? Form DD???


But it doesnt list any proof I trained with my M9 while I was a M240B Gunner

Sgt. Schultz
10-16-2007, 16:27
It's only going to save you about 1 to 1 ˝ hours tops ... the majority of the eight hours are spent going over the written test and then the test itself.

I don't know if it's true or not but our instructor would not let us leave until the eight hours were up because he said that SLED required "a minimum 8-hour training course". Several of us finished the test early and had to wait about 45 minutes we could leave.

Edited to add ... I should mention that the amount of time spent on the range depends upon the size of the class and the number of firearm novices involved.

10-19-2007, 14:34
The only place I have known to work is Florida for active military..with m-16 training or any weapons training for that matter. You don't have to take the class but you still have to get printed and all whats the difference really

11-06-2007, 19:22
I think for florida all they required for fmr military is a certified copy of your DD214, but I might be wrong about that.

11-06-2007, 19:47
Florida will accept many things as proof of training.

Most other states prefer applicants to know the law in addition to being able to shoot.

11-09-2007, 10:57
The DD-214 will not show qualification on a specific weapon (well, sort of). One way you can loosly - and I mean stretch it - get around that with your DD214 would be if you qualified Expert and you received a ribbon for it because your DD214 will list all your decorations. Also, your training certificates may include weapons training - mine had 1065 hours of formal training on automatic weapons. As a side note, be sure to ask all your formal training is also included on your DD214 when you leave the service.

Back to the topic. For example on the ribbons possibility, I qualified Expert in the Air Force (no jokes please, I shot a 40/40 and took it seriously) for 15 years straight, so I received the Marksman ribbon. I was able to weasle my way to qualify with the M-9 as well and shot expert with that gun too, so I received a cluster on the ribbon. Perhaps you might be able to talk your way with that, but that would be some cross referencing and tap dancing.

As far as Air Force firearms training that qualifies, Air Force Form 522 is your weapons qualification proof that suffices for CCW weapons training. This is an AF Form though, the Army, Navy and Marines probably do it differently.

Now let's clarify have three obligations: 1st, you have to do the paperwork and get fingerprinted and all that. 2nd, you have take the class. 3rd, you have to qualify with a weapon or be exempted. No matter what, you have to take the class and should. The class goes over everything because it is set up for the novice. I mean I had people in my class that knew absolutely nothing about guns at all. In addition, the class goes over the rules of confrontation, which makes the class worthwhile on its own.

11-09-2007, 16:04
THat's right. Personally, I live in NC, and when I get back from my deployment, I am getting a non-residency CCW from florida. it's cheaper and easier than getting it from NC, and the only difference in the states that accept it is that NC and FL flip-flop on one.