The NBN controversy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The NBN controversy


9MX
09-18-2007, 01:35
God save the Philippines. If the Filipino people as a whole is likened to a woman , the rape never stopped...only the rapists were changed. :sad:


'Mike Arroyo is NBN deal mystery man'

Jose "Joey" de Venecia III, son of Speaker Jose de Venecia, on Tuesday named Jose Miguel Arroyo, spouse of President Arroyo, as the "mystery man" who told him to back off from the allegedly overpriced national broadband network (NBN) deal between the Philippine government and China's ZTE Corp.

"I have previously mentioned to reveal the identity of the mystery man under oath and in the proper forum. It is with a heavy heart that I cannot deny that it was First Gentleman Mike Arroyo," de Venecia said in his testimony before the Senate blue ribbon committee.

De Venecia, whose company Amsterdam Holdings Inc. submitted a proposal for the project, said Commission on Elections Chairman Benjamin Abalos Sr. also wiretapped his phone and threatened him after he refused to back off from the $329 million project.

De Venecia said he met the President's husband at a reconciliatory meeting" with Abalos at the Wack-Wack golf court in Mandaluyong City sometime mid-March.

He said Arroyo pointed a finger at his face and told him to "back off."

He said he tried to explain the economic benefits of AHI's proposal but Arroyo left and went to the other side of the room. "He refused to listen, he stood up and left," he said.

De Venecia's revelations came after he hinted in several television interviews that a "mystery man" had helped convince him to back off from the NBN project. The NBN project aims to build a nationwide hi-tech telecommunications backbone that will link the telephone, cellular and Internet services of all government offices.

In his testimony, De Venecia said the $329 million broadband deal was "ridiculously overpriced" by as much as $130 million after Abalos asked for various kickbacks and advances for the project.

He added that he is no longer interested in pursuing the project after ZTE cornered the contract.

"Many have said that I’m only sourgraping because my company and I lost the project. If this deal goes through it is not only my loss but the loss of the entire Filipino people. That is what I seek to prevent," he said.

Senate eyes Mike A testimony

Senators said they might invite Mr. Arroyo to appear before the inquiry and explain his side before the upper chamber. Arroyo left the country on Monday, a day before the Senate started its inquiry on the NBN contract.

Senate Minority Leader Aquilino Pimentel Jr. suggested that people who "fly away" a day before the Senate inquiry should instead be issued a subpoena.

"Some persons fly away from the territory of this country... which is an admission of guilt. [This] is an indication that they will not honor an invitation so I would suggest to issue subpoena directly to people of this nature," Pimentel said.

The committee chairman, Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano, suggested that the senators agree on the issue during a forum after other senators, including Sen. Joker Arroyo, objected to Pimentel's motion.

Arroyo reminded his colleagues that the Supreme Court had cautioned the Senate to be careful and follow its own rules. He said the existing rule says an invitation should be issued first before a subpoena.

"If despite the subpoena, the witness does not appear, then we can vote. We can issue a contempt citation. These are the three steps that we cannot dispense with," Arroyo said.

Sen. Francis Escudero asked the Senate Blue-Ribbon Committee to summon government officials and other personalities identified in de Venecia's affidavit.

Transportation and Communications Secretary Leandro Mendoza, Trade Secretary Peter Favila and Romulo Neri, former National Economic Development Authority head, had been invited to the inquiry but failed to attend the hearing. They cited the rule on subjudice that bars anyone from discussing the merits of an ongoing case outside the courtroom.

Escudero said the excuse given by the Cabinet secretaries is unacceptable.

“Subjudice cannot be invoked as an excuse not to attend the proceedings of these honorable committees. Our rules are clear on the matter. The fact that there is a pending case before any courts - administrative, civil or criminal – is not an excuse or reason for us not to hear and conduct an inquiry on the matter,” he said.

He said the Senate should also summon other persons mentioned in de Venecia's affidavit including Ruben Reyes, a businessman; Jimmy Paz, Abalos's chief of staff; former police director Quirino dela Torre, and a certain Leo San Miguel.

Wiretaps and death threats

In his testimony, De Venecia said he rejected a $10 million bribe from Abalos last December if he allowed ZTE to bag the broadband contract.

The businessman said Abalos even namedropped Mrs. Arroyo and Speaker de Venecia as two beneficiaries of kickbacks in the overpriced contract.

"I was sure that my president, President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and my father speaker Joe de Venecia were unaware of the intricate technological details of the NBN project and could not stomach the fact that my President and my Speaker would be dragged into a transaction that required undisclosed advances and under the table kickbacks to sweeten the deal," he said.

He said Abalos disclosed that he had de Venecia's cell phone bugged and even threatened to have him killed.

"When my father suggested the rescission of the ZTE deal it was also COMELEC chairman Abalos who refused and said, and I quote 'Then Joey will win.' It was then that he threatened my life," de Venecia said.

He added that Abalos also threatened to Philippine Star columnist Jarius Bondoc for informing the public of his wrongdoings.

Bondoc said it was de Venecia who told him of the death threat from Abalos. He said he immediately called up the Speaker who told him to forget about the threat.

Mrs. Arroyo on Tuesday ordered Mendoza to appear before the Supreme Court to explain details of the $329-million NBN deal between the government and China's ZTE Corp.

"Iniatas ko kay Secretary Leandro Mendoza ng DOTC na humarap at magpaliwanag sa Korte Supreme hinggil sa kaso ng NBN. Walang pamumulitika at batay sa ebidensya ang proseso ng hukuman (I ordered Secretary Leandro Mendoza of the DOTC to explain and face before the Supreme Court the NBN case. The court's process is not political and is based on evidence)," Mrs. Arroyo said in her opening speech during the National Economic and Development Authority board meeting at Malacañang.

She said the government is ready to work with the courts and the Office of the Ombudsman to determine if violations were committed by officials involved in the contract.

The Supreme Court has released a temporary restraining order on the NBN contract after Iloilo Rep. Rolex Suplico and AHI filed separate petitions asking the court to junk the deal.

charlie-xray
09-18-2007, 01:46
Totally sickening.

Totally sickening.

Could be that they are saving or sucking up all they can before she steps down on 2010. They'd better be, with all the enemies they made they'd need all the money to protect their behinds. But who suffers ultimately "JUAN".

bisoy
09-18-2007, 02:10
thats a lot of money. sigh.... no comment nalang :sad:

st. matthew
09-18-2007, 04:02
kawawa naman si juan, palagi na lang nagagahasa:sad:

ang tanong, ano dapat gawin ni juan?

dapat bitayin lahat ng mga kurakot,pati mga dating kurakot:steamed: para di gayahin ng iba

boholglock
09-18-2007, 05:04
and it can get WORSE...

toxic
09-18-2007, 05:58
I knew it ..it was him ayon lumipad, magulo yan im sure The speaker will back up his sons allegations, kelan pa kaya matatapos ang mga ganitong controversies, kaya di kame(OFW) makabalik ng bansa for good dahil sa ganyang issues.Hay buhay,makapagtrabaho na nga lang .:upeyes:

chowchow
09-18-2007, 07:37
With the trend now making public disclosures , mabuti naman. At least ganon nalang gagawin ng mga politicians. Like ex CIA chief and lately the ex FEd A Greenspan.

charlie-xray
09-18-2007, 07:46
And it doesn't amaze me, if some Filipinos are planning of migrating to other countries.

For me IMHO, nothing beats living in your own country. Even if it's run like hell at least it's run by Filipinos and not by foreigners.

As for JDV, he's between a Stone and a hard place. Tsk...tsk... speakership at stake so probably this is the best time for Garcia of Cebu to attempt once more for his speakership.

Originally posted by toxic
I knew it ..it was him ayon lumipad, magulo yan im sure The speaker will back up his sons allegations, kelan pa kaya matatapos ang mga ganitong controversies, kaya di kame(OFW) makabalik ng bansa for good dahil sa ganyang issues.Hay buhay,makapagtrabaho na nga lang .:upeyes:

9MX
09-18-2007, 07:49
Originally posted by toxic
I knew it ..it was him ayon lumipad, magulo yan im sure The speaker will back up his sons allegations, kelan pa kaya matatapos ang mga ganitong controversies, kaya di kame(OFW) makabalik ng bansa for good dahil sa ganyang issues.Hay buhay,makapagtrabaho na nga lang .:upeyes:

hmmm...which brings me to this thought

everyone knows, you guys are pumping vital lifeblood in the country's economy. what if...just what if...you guys organize and decide not to send dollars...exhausting other options to support your family...in protest of all these shenanigans.

these govt officials are like the local version of the mafia

and they bleed us dry with taxes:upeyes:

horge
09-18-2007, 16:42
JM2P:

JDVIII's problem is basically that there was no public bidding
for this project, in effect excluding his company AHI. However,
if the project was fast-tracked, then that would explain the
negotiated, exclusionary "bid" (See DND's SRDP projects with
Steelcraft for mechanized armor).

About this ZTE thing...
Is there an actual signed contract in hand?
Is there even a signed MOA?
A preiminary MOU normally does not include pricetags,
and I'm not even sure one of those is in hand.

If JDVIII's complaint is that the project is unnecessary, it
does not make sense for him to be trying to submit a competing
proposal for it. Thankfully that is not his complaint.

If JDVIII's complaint is that money under the table reached
either Abalos or Arroyo, then evidence must be presented, and
charges must be brought in the proper legal forum.

If JDVIII's complaint is that the contract price is simply too
high, then he has to provide the ZTE contract specifying both the
so-called "bloated" price, AND especially the contract specs.
If JDV's proposal spec is smaller in scope than ZTE's, then
that might explain the price difference. Without either AHI's
proposal nor ZTE's signed contract (if one exists), there is no
way to credibly compare them peso-for-peso, spec-for-spec; and
there is NO way to tell if one or both are overpriced or not.


I hope it's not what we're seeing here, but...
I've seen it happen so many times, on a smaller scale, whenever
project bid-outs don't go one contractor's way: Losing a contract
bid is serious financial loss, so make noise, and hope that you
get 'paid off' with a subcontract just to shut the heck up.
Because if there had ACTUALLY been an anomaly in the bid process,
if laws had ACTUALLY been broken, the supposed offenders
woulda-shoulda been hauled off to court. REAL court, that is.

I don't trust how media conglomerates, who have also been trying
to build their own nationwide broadband networks, are feverishly
flogging this "scandal" about what really is a government-owned
alternative to their big investment.

The NBN's potential applications go so far beyond 'remote education'.
When everyone making noise has a vested interest in making noise,
I prefer the dry tales of physical evidence. So, again....

Where is the signed contract?
Where are the original proposals of ZTE and AHI?

h.

kristiansen
09-18-2007, 22:11
i think JDV III is not allowed to do business with the govt being a son of the speaker? USD $200 million overprice? mama mia!no wonder they can play golf everyday...........and the MOA/contract is lost and nowhere to be found? :rofl:

toxic
09-19-2007, 01:24
perhaps JDVIII is in a rampage coz he didnt won the contract or some other reason i hope he comes up with proof to substantiate his allegations...the bright side is corruptions in government are being dug up for us the public to know who's who and what's what.

qouting chowchow " With the trend now making public disclosures , mabuti naman. At least ganon nalang gagawin ng mga politicians. Like ex CIA chief and lately the ex FEd A Greenspan."

In the past , issue/s such as this are kept in a vault with armed guards.

Very good observation Chowchow..if there are Holy Cows or white elepants or untouchables , go out in public but i hope this will not end in a hefty settlement or JDV using this issue as a leverage for his Political ambition..

9mx..i can only say this for my self..." i cannot stop sending remittances back home " coz (if i may) ive got mouths to feed , bills to pay and projects on the works..not unless i go fly out for good taking my family with me (as CX implied) , but then again i still believe that there is still hope not to ALSA BALUTAN.

Democracy is at work here, this issue only shows that no one can be above the law..wag lang mamanipulate ng mga spindoctors..

charlie-xray
09-19-2007, 01:42
This has been petitioned by a group of Fil-Ams since last year based in CA (just can't find it) that OFW's just send vital funds for necessities and stop the inflow of dollars for investments or capitals which I think is still in effect or selective as that would be tough due to OFW families don't have other businesses running and could only be 10% that has another soure of income.

Besides protesting against all these, when....the biggest question is when will somebody or someone be strong enough, enough charisma and credibility to unite everybody and stand up against all these....I guess this is the un-ending question.

Originally posted by 9MX
hmmm...which brings me to this thought

everyone knows, you guys are pumping vital lifeblood in the country's economy. what if...just what if...you guys organize and decide not to send dollars...exhausting other options to support your family...in protest of all these shenanigans.

these govt officials are like the local version of the mafia

and they bleed us dry with taxes:upeyes:

charlie-xray
09-20-2007, 17:05
Lest us not forget the NORTH RAIL and SOUTH RAIL project which up to now roughly 10% of the project is done and nothing more

9MX
09-20-2007, 17:31
Originally posted by toxic

9mx..i can only say this for my self..." i cannot stop sending remittances back home " coz (if i may) ive got mouths to feed , bills to pay and projects on the works..not unless i go fly out for good taking my family with me (as CX implied) , but then again i still believe that there is still hope not to ALSA BALUTAN.


i agree pards. i'm not trying to instigate OFWs, i just painted a scenario;)

in fairness to jdv iii, he's into the telco business before jdv jr. became speaker. whether he used his father's position will always be suspect.

:)

choi_tan2000
09-20-2007, 19:16
well almost all government cotracts are questionable and full of doubts.. i hope this time this one may have a clarification and somebody should be punished.. we started with erap conviction, i hope thers more coming..

i just hope that our government should find a way to clear all this issues so the public may stop wondering what is really happening..

the problem here in our country is this polititians and leaders dont even care more about what people say. while in other country, when they become involve in this kind of scandal eh, either nagreresign or naproprosecute. here in our country, eh playing clean parin kahit halatang halata na. well its really hard to find evidence because most of these people are mostly lawyers or have a bunch of lawyers or very good in playing bad roles. i pitty our coutry and fellowman.. i hope that one day will come that every single pinoy will do something to fight corruption and blapsmere in our country. we all need to be vigilant and do something on what we see. all other polititians and almost all fprmer presidents became a billionaire in just one term, grabe.. while almost 60% of pinoys (53,000,000 ) were leaving below poverty line.. i just hope that our congress and senate will be busy soon on finding ways on adressing this problem. without compromising ofcourse on safeguarding corruption.

god help us.

royal glockster
09-21-2007, 09:24
Assuming JDV-III got the NBN deal, wouldn't it be the ZTE people complain of overpricing:upeyes: and joey be the subject of investigation for violation of anti-graft and corrupt practices act since he's the son of a high ranking government official?:upeyes: :upeyes: just having my thoughts lang naman..:supergrin:

9MX
09-21-2007, 09:39
Originally posted by royal glockster
Assuming JDV-III got the NBN deal, wouldn't it be the ZTE people complain of overpricing:upeyes: and joey be the subject of investigation for violation of anti-graft and corrupt practices act since he's the son of a high ranking government official?:upeyes: :upeyes: just having my thoughts lang naman..:supergrin:

jdv iii's proposal was different, iirc the equipment to be used is huwaei. they build the broadband network at no cost to the govt, but the govt. would lease a portion of the network's capacity for its needs, the rest of the capacity will be marketed to the public.

it would be wrong for the jdv jr. to come into play, but then again, this is the philippines:upeyes:

charlie-xray
09-21-2007, 14:03
Let's just all HOPE that Erap getting the guilty verdict be the benchmark that our judicial system still works.

But let it work also all on her cohorts and her own people, then that is the time I'm gonna be impressed with PGMA.

All her economic achievements is NOTHING as we the masa don't feel it, and us OFW's are even being punished for it with our lower dollar value and our salaries NOT INCREASING if you just know how our salaries increase hehehe like rain in the desert literally.

So PGMA before you step down, hope you do something good for the PEOPLE.

cznayr
09-21-2007, 20:25
Originally posted by 9MX
jdv iii's proposal was different, iirc the equipment to be used is huwaei. they build the broadband network at no cost to the govt, but the govt. would lease a portion of the network's capacity for its needs, the rest of the capacity will be marketed to the public.

it would be wrong for the jdv jr. to come into play, but then again, this is the philippines:upeyes:

Actually, if you go to the letter of the law, it just say that you should not be involved in the bidding of gov't projects if you are within sone degree of relationship with the President, VP, Senate President and Speaker of the House. However, if you have been in that line of business before thay assumed the position, you're off the hook.

jjserv
09-22-2007, 08:17
Its remarkable that with all the high strung negative publicity generated by the NBN deal to the present Administration, Mendoza et al still pursue the deal to be consummated. Money must have changed hands early on and there is no turning back for the "Players." I bet they never expected these turn of events!

The Players SHOULD be scared ****less of a Chinese vendetta if the latter get Fx#%! if this deal doesn't push thru. US$10, 20 or US$50 Million as initial "deposit" is possible. Hehe, I could just imagine Chinese Triads, mercenaries, guns for hire etc getting some assignments soon to settle the debt!!!