LEO/Attendee Encounter @ Gun Show [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LEO/Attendee Encounter @ Gun Show

ferretray
09-18-2007, 08:14
I attended the Big Town gun show this last Saturday.
After my initial recon. I headed out for a break. I observed a Mesquite police officer talking to a gunshow attendee. I was just a few feet away and heard the relevant parts of the conversation.
The LEO was writing the guy a trespass warning. If he returns to the area again it's an arrestable offense.
Apparently the organizers require that anyone who has purchased a firearm there to show a receipt when they exit the building. I'm not sure how they can tell who has bought a firearm at the show or if they are leaving with a gun they are trying to sell. I sold mine within 10 minutes of walking the aisles.
The LEO was very professional in dealing with the citizen.

Deployment Solu
09-18-2007, 08:31
I was at a Gun Show this weekend as well. Most show organizers take steps to insure that guns are rendered safe(action inspected, mag empty(I would make them remove the empty mag, other don't)action zip tied, and a sticker denoting the gun was brought into the show. Of course, no one searches you to see if you are carrying concealed at most shows.

Vendors are also given marking devices to denote a gun that was bought at the show. Security and Police at the shows know what that marking is. Most private sellers don't have receipts. I know, I take the DL of the person, mark it on the back of the card for the weapon, and keep a permanent record of the transaction.

We had a crazy who came to the show and tried to steal. He was caught and given a trespass warning for the area and banned from the prperty for life as well.

BTW, the show was pretty slow. Seems not to be alot of money that people are willing to spend. Lots of people bringing in guns they were looking to sell.

ferretray
09-18-2007, 09:02
The LEO's working @ the entry point checked and zip-tied all firearms. I was asked if I had any ammo (I left the ammo. in the car. I figured if someone started shooting I'd revert to the ol' Marine Corps high-speed low crawl and un-ass the area). No stickers.
Quite a few characters at the show. Some living, breathing stereotypes.
Note: When you find yourself actually checking out the beanie babies you must be a Grandpa. :) Never figured this old Devil Dog would find himself doing that. Life is cool.

dglockster
09-18-2007, 09:38
The next gun show is this coming Saturday and Sunday at Market Hall. They probably have Beanie Babies also. ;)

Maybe I'll see you there.

RPBROWN
09-22-2007, 07:42
Originally posted by ferretray
The LEO's working @ the entry point checked and zip-tied all firearms. I was asked if I had any ammo (I left the ammo. in the car. I figured if someone started shooting I'd revert to the ol' Marine Corps high-speed low crawl and un-ass the area). No stickers.
Quite a few characters at the show. Some living, breathing stereotypes.
Note: When you find yourself actually checking out the beanie babies you must be a Grandpa. :) Never figured this old Devil Dog would find himself doing that. Life is cool.

Man, can I relate to that.:supergrin:

Dobber
10-06-2007, 19:49
I got a gun at that show and I thought the guy at the door asking for receipts was kind of an ass.

Keoking
10-06-2007, 20:28
The way I see it, going to DFW gun shows is comparable to going to the movies. I consider it a good trip if I am entertained. Lots of guys wearing too much camouflage, the occasional guy dressed like Crocodile Dundee, gangbangers with lots of ink. I don't even have to beg the wife to come with me. I buy primers and various stuff, she buys jerky, candles, LED flashlights, and all sorts of fluff.

aerod1
10-19-2007, 18:34
Yep, I was at that show. Of course I am at most of the DFW gun shows. I go for the entertainment and if I happen to run into "one of those deals", then that is icing on the cake.

nuparadigm
10-20-2007, 10:31
I'll probably be at the beef jerky show in Pasadena sometime on the weekend. Want to blend-in, so I'll be wearing overalls.