New SUV - Possibly Hybrid? Escape or Highlander [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New SUV - Possibly Hybrid? Escape or Highlander

Cali-Glock
09-19-2007, 14:34
It is time to trade in the company vehicle (Chevy TrailBlazer) again and among the topics I will be bringing up to my Board this Friday is the need to trade in my current vehicle (About a week shy of 3 years old and 117,000 miles). I will be pushing for another Chevy TrailBlazer or perhaps a Dodge Durango as both Chevy & Dodge have rebate programs running, but one of the members on the Board (9 members) is a big proponent of hybrids, specifically the Ford Escape Hybrid, and I suspect he will try to push the board into dictating that as my new vehicle.

Why do I really care? The vehicle is one of my perks, hell I don't even personally own a vehicle. (My wife drives a Toyota Corolla)

So given that eventuality, I am planning on countering by suggesting that I be authorized to possibly explore the option of getting a Toyota Highlander Hybrid instead.

Any input and comparisons between the Toyota Highlander Hybrid & Escape Hybrid?

The Toyota has a higher towing capacity, more power and it is a Toyota. On the other hand the Toyota is more expensive, not as good gas millage, and less ground clearance.

HandyMan Hugh
09-20-2007, 02:25
I've test driven both of them. The Toyota (IMO) is the better of the two. Yes the Ford does have a little more road clearance, and it does have a little better fuel mileage. However, the Toyota has far superior quality, more features, and a better warranty on the battery. Toyota warrants the NiMh battery for 10 years, with no mileage limit on it. IMO the Highlander handled better than the Ford, and had a better more easily understood dash display. YMMV.

Good Hunting! :supergrin:

texas_rifle
09-21-2007, 14:17
Originally posted by Cali-Glock
It is time to trade in the company vehicle (Chevy TrailBlazer) again and among the topics I will be bringing up to my Board this Friday is the need to trade in my current vehicle (About a week shy of 3 years old and 117,000 miles). I will be pushing for another Chevy TrailBlazer or perhaps a Dodge Durango as both Chevy & Dodge have rebate programs running, but one of the members on the Board (9 members) is a big proponent of hybrids, specifically the Ford Escape Hybrid, and I suspect he will try to push the board into dictating that as my new vehicle.

Why do I really care? The vehicle is one of my perks, hell I don't even personally own a vehicle. (My wife drives a Toyota Corolla)

So given that eventuality, I am planning on countering by suggesting that I be authorized to possibly explore the option of getting a Toyota Highlander Hybrid instead.

Any input and comparisons between the Toyota Highlander Hybrid & Escape Hybrid?

The Toyota has a higher towing capacity, more power and it is a Toyota. On the other hand the Toyota is more expensive, not as good gas millage, and less ground clearance.

if you need leverage for something other than the hybrid you can always say the dodge durango will have the lifetime powertrain warranty.
whether the warranty is any good will be seen in years to come, but if you need a selling (well buying) factor then use this to your advantage.

I just dont trust vehicles that have expensive batterys as part of the drivetrain (hybrids types not a 12v battery) since our weather always "test" batteries on their durabiliy. Only reason I would say no to a hybrid. Unless you do alot of stop and go traffic driving then hybrid might be the better way to go.

As Chevy and Dodge. the chevy will get the better mpg but I'm a fan of the interior in any vehicle other than a chevy, but that is just me.

as for toyota I haven't seen anything wrong with them at all. my next pick up will either be a cummins diesel or a toyota tundra. plus the toyotas i have seen are made in America. the "imports" (i.e. toyota and nissan) are putting a hurting on the domestics because of their price, actually listening to the customers on vehicle features, and mainly their reliablility.

Cali-Glock
09-21-2007, 19:42
Yippie kay YAY! Got out of our meeting a bit ago - no hybrid nonsense.!!!

Powder
09-21-2007, 21:25
If you go Dodge, get a Nitro instead.