Leaving a gun in the car in Connecticut [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leaving a gun in the car in Connecticut

Glock Dave
09-21-2007, 18:00
I have always been led to believe that it is illegal to leave a gun unattended in a car in Connecticut. Apparently that it not true. My father lives in a condo complex and one of the tennants leaves his rifles in the trunk all day every day. One of his neighbors called the cops to complain thinking it was not safe and the cops said it was perfectly legal. My father being curious asked a local state trooper about it and he also said it was legal. My father asked about handguns too and he said as long as they had a pistol permit it was also OK. Anyone know if this is accurate. If they are wrong, do you know what statute says it is not legal?

Tvov
09-24-2007, 16:58
I have no idea, but I am interested in any replies.

Jene
09-24-2007, 18:03
There is no statute that bans keeping the handgun in the car. That said, if you do not have a permit, than I would not leave it in the car; but, I wouldn't leave it unattended in a car anyway. Now, if you choose to, and the gun is stolen, you may face a civil liability if it is used in a crime. We have had people report their handguns stolen after leaving them in the car..... I just want to shake my head at them... but no, its not illegal.

harlenm
10-01-2007, 11:07
It's definately legal, and I do it sometimes, when there is a place that you can't carry into.

Sometimes you have no choice but to leave it in the car.