New here with a few questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New here with a few questions

CHRgma58
09-21-2007, 20:42
I posted this in the Non-Glock forum, and it was suggested that I also post it here, so here goes:

Hello! I have been reading this forum for the last week almost non-stop (only away when my day job got in the way). I have gained a lot of information, for which I thank all the board members.

I am a widow, a grandma and Assistant Manager at a retail store. I was formerly an armed security officer at a nuclear power plant(some 20 odd years ago). And, I graduated from the Charlotte Police Academy in 1980.

I have always loved to shoot. My dad taught my siblings and I to shoot as soon as we were old enough to safely hold a gun. I won several smaller competitions in my early teens with a .22 rifle.
I plan to obtain my CCL soon. I currently own a Ruger Speed Six, .357 magnum, purchased in 1978, with which I am quite comfortable. It is a bit on the large size for CC, but is do-able. I want to make an informed decision on my next handgun purchase. I have never shot an auto or semi-auto. There are no gun ranges in my immediate area, the closest is about an hour away.

Having said all that, what would be a good first CCW? I have lost touch with the gun market until recently. I have realatively small hands, and due to an accident a few years ago, have a slightly weakened grip in my right (strong) hand. I am looking for a good "stopping power" weapon, easy to conceal, for personal protection. I have looked at the Glock 26, and the Ruger SP101 with a 2 1/4" barrel. Thanks for any and all helpful information you can give me.

c-mama
09-21-2007, 21:09
:wavey: Hi there. I think that the best thing for you to do is take a day trip to a range and really try out some different guns, with the mindset of a carry gun.

Then, go with what you are comfortable with.

fnfalman
09-22-2007, 00:01
The Ruger snubnose has a very, very stiff trigger pull. Can you manage it with your weakened strong hand? The Glock G26 is definitely hard to beat as far as size and ease of shooting go.

earthworm
09-22-2007, 01:09
I second the Glock 26 if it's not too big for your hand.You might look at the Smith & Wesson 3919LS:a single-stack DAO 9mm that has a good rep.The Airweight S&W .38 snubs (340,442) are classic CCW's but if grip strength is an issue their skinny grips & light weight might be an issue.

rvrctyrngr
09-22-2007, 09:59
If you're looking at the G26, you might also look at the Smith M&P 9c. It has changeable backstraps, so might be a better fit for your hand.

Lynn D
09-22-2007, 20:53
I'll give my $0.02.....

I agree with the suggestion to go to a range and try a few guns out....or at least get together with a friend who might have a few you could try. See what you like.

Personally, I don't like my Glock (G19) for CCW. It feels too wide and "blocky" and I don't feel like I'm concealed well at all. That's why I really love my Kahr. You might want to look at Kahr as well, since they are narrow framed and slim, but easy to grip, even if you have small hands. I've also had multiple hand surgeries, and have had no trouble at all getting a good grip or managing recoil.

In the end, you'll have to see what works for you. Best of luck.

stormbringerr
09-22-2007, 21:14
also try an springfield XD 9mm or 40cal they feel good in the hand and are similar to glocks in takedown and action.;)

Two-Gun Mary
09-23-2007, 12:31
A Walther PPK is also easy to conceal and will fit a small hand fairly well.

Riz58
09-23-2007, 17:02
My wife does not have strong hands, and she recently purchased for herself (her first purchase ever!)a Bersa Thunder 380 auto. We have been breaking it in. It is an inexpensive (note I did not say cheaply-made!) knock-off of the Walther products.

She shoots it well, (it is much easier for her than a higher caliber) and she enjoys shooting it. She can handle the recoil well, and she can rack the slide where she cannot on other semi-autos.

I carry a Kahr CW9 which is a 9mm, it is slim and very light. While my Glock 17 is easier and more fun for me to shoot, the Kahr is far superior (obviously since the Glock is full-size) for CCW.

Mrs. Tink
09-23-2007, 23:08
Originally posted by Two-Gun Mary
A Walther PPK is also easy to conceal and will fit a small hand fairly well.

So far I am LOVING my Walther PPS, but those are so new that they are hard to find. My husband looked at or called 13 shops before he found one. Lucky 13! Mine has been easily concealable so far. It has the blessing and curse of having limited magazine capacity (it's not a double stack and only has 6, 7 or 8 rounds depending on magazine size). I'm still getting used to it but I am thus far a satisfied customer.

CHRgma58
10-02-2007, 22:09
Sorry for taking so long to reply....work gets in the way, you know. Thanks for the feedback. I plan on going shopping in the next couple of days and will look at each of the models you have mentioned. Thanks again.

Ballyhoo
10-08-2007, 02:06
I have enjoyed reading everyone's ideas on CCW. It has given me some good insight and ideas. I personally have been carrying a small revolver since they tend to malfunction less than semi autos. I have a small Taurus 5-shot .38 that has had the hammer removed since I don't need it. By doing that it has removed ANY possibility of accidental discharge and I can carry it in my purse if I need to. I also would probably enjoy the Glock 26 that someone mentioned earlier.