Open Range - Report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Range - Report

SmithShooter
09-22-2007, 14:22
Well, I went to Open Range today.

1) The Showroom: Nice layout, a little overpriced though.

2) The Staff: Kids, no offense to anyone but one guy over 40 would have been nice. Being interrupted TWICE by people asking to inspect my (perfectly legit) ammo was slightly off putting.

3) The Range: I can only comment on the Rifle Range. I fired 60 rounds from my AR. The accoustics arent the best. The electronic range device for sending your target to an exact specific distance was very cool. The tiny footstool wasnt very comfortable to sit on so i ended up on one knee, in shorts, on concrete.

4) The Value: At $26, I may go there once or twice a year but the overall experience was sort of like a Lexus. You come away wondering why you paid twice as much for a Toyota.

I would rate the overall experience a 3 out of 5.

domzilla9
09-22-2007, 15:55
Why do they inspect your ammo?

SmithShooter
09-22-2007, 17:07
Im sure they dont want anyone firing penetrator/AP or Tracers in their nice Range. I am totally behind them on that one.

However, I think that garden variety Remington .223 FMJ in 55gr is about as tame as it gets, AR-wise. I dont really want to be bothered mid-session by someone so incompetent, they cant even read a headstamp.

B+Shooter
09-23-2007, 05:14
$26?
How is that broken up? I need to zero a new setup on my rifle, but I don't like being "on the clock" while I'm taking my time, making notes and such.

Berretta9
09-23-2007, 09:51
That would be per hour.

B+Shooter
09-23-2007, 13:59
Originally posted by Berretta9
That would be per hour.

It's a full $26 an hour?!?

Is that American money?

SmithShooter
09-23-2007, 15:43
Yes $26 an hour, U.S. Currency.

Also, read the fine print, its $5 per occurence if you hit anything other than the backstop. Im certainly not advocating reckless behavior on the firing line, but the $5 per clause seems more like a license to print money.

Them: "Lets see, you had 4 shots hit the wall 98 yards downrange, that will be an extra 20."

You: "No I didnt."

Them: "Yes you did."

etc.

Disclaimer: The above example is purely hypothetical, it did not actually occur.

45gunner
09-23-2007, 18:40
I shoot at many places and Open Range is a little pricey but when shooting there I can zero a rifle without waiting for the firing line to clear. I can go out there any time of day regardless of the weather. I don't have to wait for the wind to die down to zero my rifle.

I don't get mud all over my shoes and track it in the car and my house.

I have never had anyone throwing hot brass down my neck.

Open range sells gift certificates that let you shoot for half price on Wamz radio web site.

Somtimes you have to just have to be open enough to see the benefits.

:)

B+Shooter
09-23-2007, 20:29
Originally posted by 45gunner

Somtimes you have to just have to be open enough to see the benefits.

:)

If I tried to be that open, I'd pull a hamstring...

:shocked:

whw
09-24-2007, 17:03
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. So far, I've found Open Range to be worth the money. It's clean, the equipment works and I don't have to have my blood tested for lead poisoning every few months.

I don't know of many ranges that even come close to being as nice a facility. I hope they make a go of it and stay in business.

openrange
09-24-2007, 17:45
Thanks for all the comments. It's important to us to get it right and we're learning every day.

As far as Openrange being a little pricey lets put it in perspective. The only other indoor local range is $3 less per hour for a significant difference. Plus no other range in the US except for a handful even has a 100 yd indoor perfect ballistic environment.

Openrange is one of the 5 best indoor ranges in the United States (yes I've researched almost all of them) and to have the fresh air handling, technology of the targetry system, hygene (we hepa vac nightly), fair gun pricing, comfortable classrooms for classes and fresh young faces (both male and female) working for us really is changing the face of gun ranges. You may want someone over 40 waiting on you, but we are trying to attract youth into the sport - without which target shooting as you know it will die in the US.

We inspect ammo because steel (or depleted) cores cuts through our $250,000 target system. Every country has its own designation of colors etc so basically we don't allow tipped ammo (except hunting ammo). Just because ammo looks like full metal jacket you never know what it's jacketing. Hence the inspection. We don't like to bother our shooters but our experience has told us that many tactical (AR/AK) shooters buy surplus bulk ammo and frankly don't know what is steel core (or depleted cores) when they buy it online or at shows.

We rarely charge for hitting our targetry unless someone just isn't paying attention after being told the rules. If we didn't hold folks accountable it would look like knob creek (by the way a fun cheap place to shoot) but inside. Our customers want clean and safe.

And yes we are the Lexus of ranges. We clean up your brass, bring you targets, help you with your guns, provide the best target system money can buy, provide ultrasonic cleaning for a reasonable $15, give classes to make folks a better shooter, hold new shooters hands and provide a friendly environment. We even provide a free target with backing, (rifle) shooting rear bags and adjustable front rests for no charge and a concrete NRA spec non movable shooting table. On the way out of the range we have hand wipes to clean your hands. If you see ways to be a better range we're all ears!

For those of you who think we are milking your pockets, at $26 / hour we aren't even breaking even on the rifle range (the pistol range is $21 hour). If you do the math you'll understand. The rifle range is incredibly expensive to build and maintain plus the air handling system to bring consistent, non buffeting air inside in a manner that is consistent with all the current health standards is not a simple inexpensive feat. Plus who the heck can complain about a perfect ballistic 100 yard range? They simply don't exist in the US except in a few rare occasions. For any shooter who cares about perfection in their shooting there is no equal.

The accoustics are the best you can get for a rifle range so I'm not sure what the author is comparing to. The sound board is 2" Tectem which is the best material for the purpose. Our backstop is rubber chunks which help defeat noise over metal traps. You have to realize that we are allowing rifle reports in a contained environment indoors. I believe with that in mind the accoustics are excellent.

The benches are NRA spec. I agree they are low so we brought in low stools (not easy to find) to line up with the shooters position which I believe is right on for most shooters. We have chairs available and different stool heights if needed. The author decided to kneel without asking us for something more comfortable for your knees. We have a 2 way paging system and we'd be happy to assist in any way.

The $26 hour is charged for the first hour. The charge runs in 15 minute increments after that so if you are there for 30 minutes more it would be an extra $13. The most cost effective is to get a membership for $199 year. The rifle rate for members is $15 hour on weekdays and $20 on weekends. The member pistol rate is $10 hour. We have members that shoot every other day. We also have 1/2 hour lunch specials Mon, Wed, Thurs, Friday from 11-2 for only $12.50 that is popular.

Again thanks for the comments. We know we'll never please everyone and if you just wanna shoot and make noise there is nothing more fun than the outdoors. But if you want to concentrate on your game, improve your performance, check your loads and adjust your scope Openrange has no equal.

If you havent been here yet come see us and say hi.

Btw we are having Glock GSSF matches in the next 2 months and an inhouse match in the GSSF indoor style to win a Para Nite Watch Commander..

Barry

Ridgeway
09-24-2007, 20:19
Originally posted by openrange
The accoustics are the best you can get for a rifle range so I'm not sure what the author is comparing to. The sound board is 2" Tectem which is the best material for the purpose. Our backstop is rubber chunks which help defeat noise over metal traps. You have to realize that we are allowing rifle reports in a contained environment indoors. I believe with that in mind the accoustics are excellent.

Barry
indeed, the acoustics was my fav. aspect of the range (both rifle & pistol)
i know bluegrass is significantly less efficient as far as muffling pistol report (even compared to sportshooters...)

the only indoor range down here (MS..."exiled" from KY for another 2.5 yrs :sad:) is absurdly loud w/even 9mm, i'm afraid to try larger cal's- i already feel like i'm losing hearing (& i double up on the hearing protection

SmithShooter
09-25-2007, 02:57
Note: I dont object to having my ammo inspected.

How could you possibly know that I know precisely what I am shooting and that I am not interested in putting holes in your range?

I object to being interrupted mid-session, after my ammo has already been inspected. THAT was irritating, especially at $26 per hour.

Also, I dont really care who waits on me. It would have been nice to have someone with some knowledge somewhere in the sales area though.

Bren
09-25-2007, 05:29
So for less than 5 hours of shooting on this indoor range (which I wouldn't shoot on if they paid me) you could pay for a year's membership at BGSL with all the range time you want on 1,435 acres with a dozen+ ranges, practical shooting pits, covered shooting positions when it rains, 300 yard rifle range, archery, camping, hiking, etc.

If that's too far to drive, I understand Knob Creek only charges $100 per year for membership. Although their facilities aren't really in the same league as BGSL, from what I've seen, it still beats indoor shooting.

I have shot on indoor ranges a couple of times out of necessity and once for an IDPA match and every time I say "never again."

stavman
09-25-2007, 09:40
Originally posted by Bren
So for less than 5 hours of shooting on this indoor range (which I wouldn't shoot on if they paid me) you could pay for a year's membership at BGSL with all the range time you want on 1,435 acres with a dozen+ ranges, practical shooting pits, covered shooting positions when it rains, 300 yard rifle range, archery, camping, hiking, etc.

If that's too far to drive, I understand Knob Creek only charges $100 per year for membership. Although their facilities aren't really in the same league as BGSL, from what I've seen, it still beats indoor shooting.

I have shot on indoor ranges a couple of times out of necessity and once for an IDPA match and every time I say "never again."

That is about 80 miles from Louisville. I have shot at a few indoor ranges and open range is the best. Many indoor range just have poor air circulation, this is not the case with open range. I just wish they where open on Tuesdays, my only other day off besides Saturday! The membership is mos def the best way to go, they need to offer up a special on MG rentals for us members, sometime. I am still looking a for a good outdoor range close the Louisville, beside knob creek.

domzilla9
09-25-2007, 10:15
First, I have to say that props are due to Barry at OpenRange for not only participating in this online critique of his business’s services but doing so with such alacrity and aplomb.

Openrange is one of the 5 best indoor ranges in the United States …

Without having done the research myself, I’d bet dollars to donuts that this statement is indeed factual. And I’d even hazard to guess that Openrange offers amenities comparable to its closest national competitors at a more affordable price. While I have been critical of Openrange’s pricing on its range time in the past, I’d must admit that my only issue with shooting at Openrange is that I really can’t easily afford the cost of its range time. However, I do recognize that Openrange is well worth the money that it charges for its services. If money and time weren’t a factor I have no doubt that Openrange would see a lot more of my debit card.

At this time my shooting hobby is focused primarily on outdoor USPSA pistol competition so shooting pistols or rifles indoors doesn’t have the appeal that it used to for me. However, if it weren’t for indoor ranges I would probably have never started shooting pistols eight years ago and I am sure that this would be true for at least some of Openrange’s customers today.

Comparing Openrange’s pricing and value to outdoor ranges isn’t really useful or even germane to this thread. And while indoor shooting certainly has its health hazards (which many of the regulars in this forum are aware), I can’t believe that shooting at Openrange risks any degree of lead exposure that is not also present in outdoor shooting. You may have to experience the air quality at Openrange before you’ll believe it. I wouldn’t have thought it was possible at any price.

As for OpenRange’s young staff: what they lack in experience they certainly make up for with friendliness and enthusiasm. You certainly won’t be treated better in a gun shop within 100 miles of Louisville.

Thanks for replying on the thread Barry. And I am glad to see that you are promoting more competitions, which are a great way to get people to keep coming back to your range. Please post the schedule for your upcoming matches.

Flinter
09-26-2007, 19:45
Ok how do you get to this Open Range place? If I ever get another day off before my next sandbox trip I want to go check it out.

SmithShooter
09-26-2007, 20:15
Take 71 to the Crestwood exit. There are lots of signs and it is very easy to find from there.

Every serious shooter should really check it out for themselves, at least once.

Bren
10-01-2007, 18:29
Originally posted by stavman
That is about 80 miles from Louisville.
Sure, but I could drive 80 miles and spend a whole day shooting for $10 a month more often than I could drive 1 mile and spend 4 hours shooting for $104. Not to mention, I'm yet to see an indoor range where you can set up your own multi-target courses of fire, incorprate movement, vehicles, doors, walls, shoot in multiple directions, shoot steel targets, etc., like you can at BGSL and that's only in the pistol pits (which are each many times bigger than any indoor range I've ever seen).

domzilla9
10-01-2007, 18:38
Again, indoor range customers and outdoor range customers are rarely the same people.

45gunner
10-01-2007, 19:40
I went to open range to zero my rifle in. I didn't have to wait till the morning or late at night when the wind dies down. Had it zeroed in about 1 minute.

Oh someone was hitting me with brass and the person was asked to move.

Just don't see that at KPDL. I spoiled.