De-motivation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : De-motivation

walmartconnect
09-22-2007, 22:04
So my reserve unit activated my platoon two weeks ago on Monday for OIF V. We're attached to 2/24 as the CEB platoon which is good to go. We're going to Iraq to blow down doors and help our infantry brothers light the ****ers up inside. Here comes the demoto part...

Our approximate slated time for movement to the country is about 2 weeks into January 08. We arrived here at 29 Palms on Monday and have so far been sitting in 3rd LAR's barracks doing nothing but busy work so far with weeks of busy work ahead. We wake up for no reason, stay in uniform all day and into the night for no reason and for lack of communication. Today (Saturday), we woke up at 4am to walk to a 5 hour class that started at 5am. Guess what the class was on. STRESS. Then we had supply and admin crap (walk 3 miles with our flaks to exchange them for the new flak vest. Upon arrival, we discover that they are out of medium flaks, basically "thanks for coming 90% of you guys").

Our weekend unofficially began at around 1600 today when most of us non-rates simply decided to change over because our leadership was nowhere to be found. Sitting here at 1830, getting ready to go to the E club, word came around that company PT had just been scheduled for 0545 tomorrow. ...Sunday.

We're PTing 7 days a week and have no off base libo privilages. Also, we don't rate walking anywhere on MAINSIDE without a buddy. I was reprimanded for walking to the chow hall (that we can SEE from our barracks) by myself. Never mind that most of us are 21+, attend college, and generally are self sufficient outside of the Corps.

I'm sorry to rant, I just HATE workups that waste time. I'd rather be home and not be receiving pay (they skipped us on the 15th anyway). I'm sorry for the rant.

Grim Jackal
09-26-2007, 04:58
Welcome to the AD side of things. Get use to never going anywhere with out a "buddy" again. Though, the lack of Leadership Presence is surprising.

Everything is a hurry up and wait, PT fills time, gives you something to ***** about and keeps you out of trouble, plus it keeps you clean and in shape.

Point, you never give a marine, soldier, etc. to much time to themselves, trouble is just waiting to happen.

Not complaining about when I was, actually liked a lot of it.

walmartconnect
09-26-2007, 08:15
I suppose that I'm just not used to being treated like a baby. In the reserves they generally understand that on the other 28 days of the month we are self-sufficient adults that take care of ourselves and stay out of trouble.

The company that we're attached to just seems to be going out of its way to make us miserable, no one else in the battalion is doing this stuff.

usmc0341
09-28-2007, 08:03
I see some things haven't changed. Not that it helps, but there is nowhere to go for off base libo in 29 palms anyway other then to drive to Palm Springs. Enjoy all the B.S. they throw at you cause there will come a day when you miss it, I promise! Thanks for your service!

Semper Fi

ret_marine2003
09-28-2007, 12:46
Originally posted by usmc0341
I see some things haven't changed. Not that it helps, but there is nowhere to go for off base libo in 29 palms anyway other then to drive to Palm Springs. Enjoy all the B.S. they throw at you cause there will come a day when you miss it, I promise! Thanks for your service!

Semper Fi

+1

There is nothing good off base in 29 Palms.

I haven't been there in ten years, but there used to be a dance club full of meth heads and skanks.

a bar owned by a former "Buy me drinkie" girl that some poor fool married and brought back (and divorced)

There is the Stater Brothers grocery that employs the few locals whom work for a living.

I used car lot that you would be better off not to know the location of.

A pizza place that delivers to the base. (Palms Pizza)

The finicky Coyote, an expensive but relitively clean coffee joint.

This is pretty much it.

There was a decent greasy spoon somewhere near the Chiefs store, but it is probably closed now.

Kingslayer
10-02-2007, 08:14
What you are going through is climatization.

The one thing that you have forgotten is that the Corps does everything for a reason. There is a reason they are doing this. 1st, they are getting you aclimitized to the desert environment. Your body isn't used to the heat and you are slowly getting used to it.

But most importantly, they are getting you acclimitized to a combat environment. Or actually, the lack there of. It's hard for people to adjust to the mental highs and lows of combat. One minute your going 1000 MPH hopped up on adrenaline and then your doing nothing but laying around and cleaning your rifle for the upteenth million time.

That's hard on the human brain. That's why they get you used to "hurry up and wait". That boredom between fights is what kills more people than anything. Their mind gets wrapped around it, doesn't adjust, and they get complacent the next time out, make mistakes, and get people killed.

Do you honestly think they were just out of flak jackets or were they getting you used to going out on a patrol with expected contact only to find nothing?

If you break the two of them down, they are the exact same thing.

jwilson51
10-02-2007, 19:58
I've got a friend that went to VMI and just notified me that he is with 2/24 as well and is out in California.

Have y'all completed or planning on starting Mojave Viper yet?

corpdriller
10-05-2007, 22:04
Have you had THAT class yet?
This is a PUBLIC forum. Unit/dates/upcoming deployments are not to be discussed.

That being said:

You are a reservist. Which means you don't know how an FMF unit operates. Hurry-up-and-wait has been around since Christ was a Cpl.
And being a reserve unit attached to a fleet unit means you have to get used to the way things are going to be.
I am not trying to flame you but when I was active this was always the problem with reservists. You are used to having something to do on your drill weekends. Now it's 24/7/365. And they are probably doing it on purpose to get you ramped up.

29 Stumps has always been a hole and always will be. And I'm sure that it's 100% better than when I was there back in '89 or '90.
Pretty soon you will get all the excitement you can ever want. Take pleasure in the fact someone is not shooting at you because it won't last long.

Welcome to the SUCK!!!

Now, git 'er done.
Keep your head down and be safe.
And thank you for your service. :usmc:

walmartconnect
10-05-2007, 22:22
Corpdriller,

Kill, Yut, and Eat Babies.

With that out of the way, negative, our drill weekends are ripe with nothing to do but to sit around and fulfill time requirements. Hurry up and wait is paramount in the reserves, we hurry up at warp speed to arrive to drill 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior only to be greeted with endless police calls ("Lots of moving parts")

An example: This entire base's permanent personnel (yeah yeah, minus people on watch) went on a 72 starting today, for Columbus Day. For us, this translates to ranges starting tomorrow (Saturday) at 4am until some time on Sunday. Monday will be a normal working day for us (I don't know about the rest of the battalion).

I just got back from the field a few hours ago, now it's time to go out again. Also, even though it isn't the first of the month and it wasn't during business hours, we just had a surprise (i.e. Squad leader walking into the room 30 minutes prior to tell us) promotion ceremony tonight at 1930.

2/24 is a reservist battalion btw.

Just because I am a "nasty reservist" as some would say doesn't mean that I don't know about the FMF. The Corps gets the hand-me-downs of the Army and the Reserves get the hand-me-downs of the Corps.

We all came from the same place, we all went to the same schools.

...Sigh.

Sorry, I don't mean to be bitter, I've been wanting to get to Iraq so that someone else could be home for a while. I didn't want to spend four months on a work up in 29 Palms however.

Thanks for the advice corpdriller, Semper Fi.

ret_marine2003
10-05-2007, 23:20
I can appreciate your eagerness to hurry up and get there but reaffirm that you need to concentrate on your training now, and if there is no training right now, put a bug in your most solid NCO's ear to make some training happen.

Practice searches in the abandoned base housing near the gulf course.

Go hump around the ammo dump to practice security measures.

Get with some of the active duty officers and NCO's that may have a better understanding of the current mission and seek advice.

Make the best use of the base time while you are there.

There is nothing but trouble and useless distraction in the immediate area off base.

Everything you need or could want is on base.

You are in one of those rare places where the Wookies are cleaner than the civvies.

:shocked:

RM
10-08-2007, 12:49
Originally posted by walmartconnect
Corpdriller,

Just because I am a "nasty reservist" as some would say doesn't mean that I don't know about the FMF. The Corps gets the hand-me-downs of the Army and the Reserves get the hand-me-downs of the Corps.

We all came from the same place, we all went to the same schools.

...Sigh.

Sorry, I don't mean to be bitter, I've been wanting to get to Iraq so that someone else could be home for a while. I didn't want to spend four months on a work up in 29 Palms however.

Thanks for the advice corpdriller, Semper Fi.

As a former I&I and someone who deployed with a SMCR unit that ILOCed in 29 Palms. I would have to say that that is not exactly the case.

The Marines who make up SMCR units are considered 85 percent solutions prior to going to ILOC, much of this is because MOS schools are not meant to teach you everything about your job, they are entry level and you are expect to learn allot of stuff in the FMF. If this was not the case, than there would be no need for the ILOC period, or for the active forces. If it were possible in 48 drills and an AT to be able to do everything that an active forces are expected to do, do expect the Gov to spend the billions it does ever year to keep so many on active duty?

I emphasis Marines also, not so much so with the Officers and SNCOs. Some of whom should not be there, some of whom got promoted because they were willing to drill and fewer who are actually qualified to do the job. Are you aware that most officers in the SMCR aren't even MOS qualified? Most if they have the correct MOS went to a 2 week AT length MOS qualification course, so instead of the 9 week Infantry officers course or the 23 week Field Artillery Officers course, you have a guy who was a logistics officer or adjutant in the FMF going to 2 weeks of school and being given the MOS.

As to the hand ne downs gear; gear is fielded to units according to schedules developed at HQMC. For the most part the time lines make sense, and MFR does a good job via the CARDF system to getting out bound units the newest gear. However to do this, they wait to field some gear to some units because they won't be in the fight for a while. Also you will sometimes find that SMCR units are better equipped than their active counter parts. I know when I went over last time, the reservists were better equipped than the 2 companies of active duty attached to them.

As to the 72-96, I understand it is frustrating for someone at ILOC that everyone else seems to be getting time off. However, how many of those taking time off is this their 3-4 rotation?

usmc4641
10-21-2007, 20:27
What you are going through is climatization.

The one thing that you have forgotten is that the Corps does everything for a reason. There is a reason they are doing this. 1st, they are getting you aclimitized to the desert environment. Your body isn't used to the heat and you are slowly getting used to it.

But most importantly, they are getting you acclimitized to a combat environment. Or actually, the lack there of. It's hard for people to adjust to the mental highs and lows of combat. One minute your going 1000 MPH hopped up on adrenaline and then your doing nothing but laying around and cleaning your rifle for the upteenth million time.

That's hard on the human brain. That's why they get you used to "hurry up and wait". That boredom between fights is what kills more people than anything. Their mind gets wrapped around it, doesn't adjust, and they get complacent the next time out, make mistakes, and get people killed.

Do you honestly think they were just out of flak jackets or were they getting you used to going out on a patrol with expected contact only to find nothing?

If you break the two of them down, they are the exact same thing.

this is about the truest statement for the situation you are in. stress, boredom and frustration will be common for you in the future. when you are not in the game, life comes to a complete stop. get used to it. they are trying to make it so you come home as well as you left.

usmc4641
10-21-2007, 20:31

I was attached to 3/25 Lima Co. during OIF III. I had never served with reservists prior to that, and had the same AD mentality towards them. These men of 3/25 changed my outlook completely. I will honor the time I spent with them, as well as mourn the loss of my fellow Marines from that Ohio based "Nasty Resrve Battalion."

GreenDrake
10-22-2007, 05:36
What happened to the beer garden right there by the chow hall? I remember the old one back in the late 80's the light green trailer with all the beer in it and the small cordoned off area, then they built that massive steel one, yet we still had chow in the outdoor area with the netting over it most of the time when we were in the rear.

Man, summertime in those EZ Bake ovens (quonset huts on the sand in the staging area) Must have been 140 degrees in those things.

You know the drill, Marine, it's hurry up and wait. Semper Fidelis.