Was it because of lead? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Was it because of lead?

southplinker
09-22-2007, 23:27
Yesterday was the last day for my PTTs validity so I decided to hit the range and also get to test the stiffer spring I installed on my HS40.

Got 200 rounds.

First 100 rounds was ok, Was working on the doubles taps - no problems what so ever. I liked the way the stiffer spring works, recoil wasnt that much compared to the stock spring.

I got 60-50 rounds left and everything was still ok. Loaded my mags up and I noticed on my last round, my slide didn't go into that mode where it slides back ( ano ba tawag dun?:supergrin: ). So I checked if something was missing or if it was broke. Put 8 rounds on the mag, did double taps and it did the same thing.

So I put my stock spring back, another 8 rounds on the mag and double tapped again. This time the slide went on that empty chamber mode. So I put back the stiffer spring back, emptied the mag and this time it didn't slide back to the empty mode.

Replaced the stiffer spring with the stock one just to troubleshoot it. I emptied another 8 rounds, this time the slide didn't go to that empty mode. Racked the slide a couple of times and emptied another 8, this time it went to that empty mode. Now the whole problem was a hit and miss thing. Since I was in a hurry, I fired my remaining rounds with my stock spring. Can't recall if it had that problem again.

When I got home, I took out the slide and cleaned the whole thing. I know lead is cheaper but I'm really about to give up on it. Its damn messy when cleaning your gun + the health hazards about it.

So was it the gun or some kind of lead build-up?

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/2853/dsc00013uz1.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2599/dsc00012ur9.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6262/dsc00016bo4.jpg

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6711/dsc00017dd4.jpg

cebuboy
09-22-2007, 23:34
Did you mean that the slide failed to lock back when the gun is empty?

If so, try new mags:)

Allegra
09-23-2007, 02:56
masyado malakas spring mo mahina naman bala
di umaabot dun sa catch ng sledestop on the last round
Why put a stiffer spring anyway? keep the stock spring in and subukan mo sa orig na bala

scubagun
09-23-2007, 09:08
i experienced that using an XD45 Tactical. I also guessed it was the mags, but then it usually happens after i shoot a 1911 and switching to the XD. My buddy told me it was the way i gripped the gun, my thumb touches the slidestop and preventing it to ride up when the mag follower hits it. I changed my grip and this thing never happened again.

cheers.

isuzu
09-23-2007, 13:45
Try moly-coated bullets and load them to specs based on the loading data.

southplinker
09-23-2007, 19:13
Originally posted by Allegra
Why put a stiffer spring anyway? keep the stock spring in and subukan mo sa orig na bala

Thanks Allegra!

Actually I got this combination from xdtalk. The spring actually reduces the recoil and the good thing is it works:thumbsup:

I just cant help but wonder if it was the spring, why didn't it gave me the problem earlier on my first box of 100 rounds?

southplinker
09-23-2007, 19:15
Originally posted by scubagun
i experienced that using an XD45 Tactical. I also guessed it was the mags, but then it usually happens after i shoot a 1911 and switching to the XD. My buddy told me it was the way i gripped the gun, my thumb touches the slidestop and preventing it to ride up when the mag follower hits it. I changed my grip and this thing never happened again.

cheers.

Hey now this one is interesting since this happened to me before! We'll find out after the gun ban... sucks!:sad:

revo
09-23-2007, 19:35
I second that explanation by your friend since that also happened to me.

Whe a system is experiencing random errors, it's usually because of a human :supergrin:

CatsMeow
09-23-2007, 20:00
Keep everything that has to do with a pistol's operation stock and everything will be OK.

The only thing that made my G19 bobble (both my first and my present) was defective magazine springs. Replaced them, no problem. I'm butterfingers when it comes to doing so; really admired how the lady at Final Option did it for me.

If your HS's slide does not lock back, it could be your stiffer recoil spring AND weak loads, that would not kick the slide back far enough to engage the slide stop.

nelany
09-24-2007, 08:11
Just what they have said you are using a stiffer spring (22 lbs) and using a reloaded ammo (minor load). If you are using s stiffer spring (factory is 18 lbs) you should be using a factory load ammo or ask them to reload your brass using major load. This will solve your problem.

Allegra
09-24-2007, 09:54
Originally posted by southplinker
Thanks Allegra!

Actually I got this combination from xdtalk. The spring actually reduces the recoil and the good thing is it works:thumbsup:

I just cant help but wonder if it was the spring, why didn't it gave me the problem earlier on my first box of 100 rounds?

Baka mahina ang second box of ammo mo or nabungi ng konti yung catch

Scubagun also could be correct , because I grip a glock and a sig the same way I grip a 1911 w/ my thumb on top of the safety or slidestop, hindi rin nag llolock back yung slide sakin on an empty mag

edit - xdtalk guys said stiffer springs lessens recoil?
That would go against what ipsc guys do
I used 10lb springs on my 1911

vega
09-24-2007, 18:46
So was it the gun or some kind of lead build-up?

To answer your question, lead is only present at the bore and will not affect you slide lock-up. I bet your weak thumb is riding the slide lock and the stiff spring is part of the problem like everyone said. No offense but I guess it's the operator.

southplinker
09-25-2007, 18:56
Originally posted by vega
To answer your question, lead is only present at the bore and will not affect you slide lock-up. I bet your weak thumb is riding the slide lock and the stiff spring is part of the problem like everyone said. No offense but I guess it's the operator.

None taken there Vega:thumbsup:

I would like to thank everyone for putting in their theories and I can't wait after this whole barangay election is over.

At least they gave me time to save for my ammo:supergrin:

CatsMeow
09-25-2007, 19:05
Then blow what you saved at the gunshow this November!:banana:

Allegra
09-27-2007, 00:03
Thanks Allegra!

btw,cleaning my stuff kanina , I found THE best recoil reducer invented among the junk
a pair of el cheapo grip strengtheners you can get sa sports shops
put it in your glove compartment , and while your stuck in rush hour traffic dun mi ibuhos inis mo :)