Taking guns and ammo to the range... question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Taking guns and ammo to the range... question.

DistantTea
09-23-2007, 14:17
When I read the transport of firearms sections of federal and ohio law I always read it that your firearms had to be in a seperate locked container than your ammo. So I always take two duffles, one with ammo and one with my pistol boxes in it.

I'd love to be able to take everything in one big range bag but I'm not sure how that works out here. Can I have loaded magazines in a container inside the bag a long with my pistol boxes all inside one big bag, or do they have to be two distinct physical containers in my car.

Does the fact that I have my CCW change anything? I mean I can keep a loaded gun in a holster in the glove compartment... so can I have loaded magazines next to an unloaded gun in a range bag?

Its all so very grey.

CaptToyota
09-23-2007, 16:57
I just throw all my stuff in the trunk and act normal, dress normal, drive normal, make sure all your lights function as designed and have a nice day... don't offer an excuse for them to bother you.

I have tossed rifle cases in the back seat many a time because trunk is full, ammo in trunk, ammo cans in front passenger floorboard, and went on my way.

But that is me..

ede
09-24-2007, 02:05
i lock my ammo and i lock my firearms seperate from each other, however some of the ranges i go to are a two day trip from home and cross several state lines.

Linda
09-24-2007, 05:16
If you are "transporting": you must keep your firearm distinctly separate from your ammo. Your firearm must be in a locked case with no ammo in that case. Magazines unloaded. Do not put that locked gun case then inside your range bag. There must be a distinct separation of gun and ammo. Always a bad idea to put the gun inside the range bag. A single loose round of ammo could make that gun considered "loaded". Put the ammo in the range bag and your locked case next to it, and you're OK.

Now, if you are "carrying", then you should already know how you can get the extra firearm to the range. Holstered on your person, locked in a glovebox, locked in a bag, container, box, etc that snaps, zips or buckles left in plain sight, or locked in a case.

SigsnGlocks
09-27-2007, 22:23
So...when not carrying on my hip, I am fine with my loaded pistol in a zip case that lays on the passenger seat or in my center console so long as it is in plain sight - correct? The zip case does not need a lock so long as it sits in plain sight?

Linda
09-28-2007, 05:18
That "zipped" case can lay on the seat in "plain sight". They did this to accomindate for purse carry. That case, box, container...,has to zip, snap or buckle with a lid. Zero mention about velcro, so don't get caught by that.

Console carry...,the ONLY way you will be able to put it in the console is by putting it in a LOCKED case and then putting it in the console. The law was very specific in calling that thing in your dashboard a glovebox. So be careful on that one.

HKSmith
10-02-2007, 14:20
Let me get this straight. I have an Ohio CHL, so I can carry a loaded handgun in a crossdraw holster that's instantly available to me while driving. However, if I have an unloaded handgun in a range bag with ammo in it in my trunk, I'm breaking the law even though the gun is inaccessible and I have a CHL! This is another example of the need for a complete rewrite and rationalization of Ohio's gun laws.

In another thread on this forum, people are actively debating whether a CHL holder would be violating the law by carrying in an establishment that sells beer 7 days per week instead of 6 days per week. Another example of Mark Twain's dictum that "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.".

One solution to the range bag problem is to carry it on your front seat instead of your trunk if you have a CHL. My range bag is zippered, so it would meet the criteria for a closeable case and could thus have guns and ammo in it.

Linda
10-02-2007, 14:33
Originally posted by HKSmith

One solution to the range bag problem is to carry it on your front seat instead of your trunk if you have a CHL. My range bag is zippered, so it would meet the criteria for a closeable case and could thus have guns and ammo in it.

That's fine, as long as your gun(s) are loaded. Don't you just love our laws! :hearts:

ampleworks
10-02-2007, 15:37
Basically it boils down to if a LEO wants to crucify you, they're not going to care whether you're following the letter of the law.

Glock30man
10-10-2007, 11:20
to be clear, if you have a ccw license, you can transport your pistol in any of the following manners:

1) loaded in a holster on your person. can be concealed or in plain sight.

2) loaded in a closed bag, box or other container that is in plain sight that has a lid, cover or closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to access the handgun.

3) Loaded encased securely by being stored in a closed, locked glove compartment or case that is locked.

So, you could carry the loaded weapon in your range bag with the ammo, provided the bag had the ability to be closed by zipper, buckle, etc... and you leave the range bag in plain sight (say on a seat) and not in the trunk or under the seat.

Note: these laws apply to handguns only. CCW does not give you the right to transport loaded rifles, shotguns, etc.

without a ccw, the weapon must be unloaded and carried in one of the following ways
1) in a closed package, box or case
2) in a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle
3) in plain sight in a rack or holder made for that purpose
4) in plain sight with the action open or handgun stripped. If the firearm's action won't stay open or cannot be easily stripped, you may transport it in plain sight.

These laws are from from the Ohio CCW book I just picked up. These laws have been fairly recently updated, so if what I'm saying differs from what you learned in your class a couple years ago, that is why.

Glock30man
10-10-2007, 11:26
Originally posted by Linda
That's fine, as long as your gun(s) are loaded. Don't you just love our laws! :hearts:

Linda,

It is my understanding that if there are rounds in a magazine in the same case as the handgun, the gun is considered loaded (whether or not the magazine is actually in the gun). Is that correct?

Thanks.

feltoosj
10-10-2007, 18:21
Originally posted by Glock30man
Linda,

It is my understanding that if there are rounds in a magazine in the same case as the handgun, the gun is considered loaded (whether or not the magazine is actually in the gun). Is that correct?

Thanks.

That's my understanding as well.

Racsan
10-11-2007, 08:51
Buckeye Firearms has details on just how bad these two conflicting sections of Ohio law can be.
See The biggest legal threat you didnít know you were facing (http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3646.html)

The OSC just ruled on this mess a couple of weeks ago. See OSC ruling highlights urgency of need for unloaded transportation law fix (http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3984.html)
In fact, in the concurring opinion, Justices of the Supreme Court stated they "urge the General Assembly to further consider the troublesome interplay between these statutes."

The Ohio General Assembly has hear from all of us until this is fixed. Ohio gun laws make felons out of honest gun owners at an alarming rate.

Linda
10-11-2007, 09:00
Originally posted by Glock30man
Linda,

Thanks.

Sad to say, you've got it! Be sure to read the articles that Racsan linked to.