First Aid for seizure [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Aid for seizure

Dtrain323i
09-24-2007, 17:52
I had an interesting experience today. I work in Chicago, and while on my lunch break I witnessed a person suffer a seizure. I ran over to the man and turned him on his side to prevent him from aspirating into his lungs, then I held his head to keep him from hitting his head on anything and called 911. Once CFD came on scene they took over patient care. My question is if there was anything I could/should have done before CFD got on scene. I'm certified in First Aid and CPR but haven't had to use either skill in about 4 months.

D25
09-24-2007, 18:00
Originally posted by Dtrain323i
My question is if there was anything I could/should have done before CFD got on scene.

Nope.:thumbsup:

Dtrain323i
09-24-2007, 18:28
Ok good, I'm sure he's gonna be ok since he was done seizing before FD got there. (seizure lasted approx. 1.5 minutes, FD on scene within 3 minutes of phone call) But I'd still be pretty pissed at myself if there was more I could have done but didn't

mkh100
09-24-2007, 20:05
Your response was pretty much textbook, for what EMT Basic's are taught here in Florida.

Good Job !

RyanNREMTP
09-24-2007, 20:47
Sounds good to me what you did.

akulahawk
09-27-2007, 00:25
I'm a Paramedic. If I wasn't working and I saw that same patient, I would have done exactly what you did. Just make sure they don't aspirate, keep objects away from them, and support the head so they don't hurt themselves while they're seizing. Make note of how long the seizure lasts. Most of the seizure calls I've been on has the patient in a post seizure state before I get there. The ones that are still going when I get there are the ones I worry about.

Oh, and I almost forgot... stay calm. It has a calming effect on people. Get them to do things for you...

FastEddieG23
09-27-2007, 13:54
Originally posted by akulahawk
I'm a Paramedic. If I wasn't working and I saw that same patient, I would have done exactly what you did. Just make sure they don't aspirate, keep objects away from them, and support the head so they don't hurt themselves while they're seizing. Make note of how long the seizure lasts. Most of the seizure calls I've been on has the patient in a post seizure state before I get there. The ones that are still going when I get there are the ones I worry about.

Oh, and I almost forgot... stay calm. It has a calming effect on people. Get them to do things for you...

Notice he said SUPPORT the head...some people hold the head or other body parts and if the pt. seizes again they have a tendency to tense up on the pt which could result in further injury to the pt or to yourself. After the siezure I would have asked if there was any family or friends around and I would have looked for any jewelry indicating any type of medical history. Sometimes it will say if they have a siezure history or something else. Just be careful when you manupualte the head as you may not know if they have any type of cervical problem as a result of them falling. You wouldnt want to further cause more harm to them than what has already happened. A side note some types of brain injuries can cause seizures, it is not always from having a history. The fall the guy took could have caused it so that is a good thing to also keep in mind.

Otherwise you did FANTASTIC job and I dont think anyone would disagree. But these points are just some of the other things you could take in concideration too. But by all means what you did is better than doing nothing at all. Just remember the recovery position does not remove all of the emesis from the mouth, it just gives it a place to go besides in the lungs. If for some reason you needed to perform ventilations you would have to clear the airway first as to avoid aspirations like you did by placing him in the recovery position.

Otherwise you did very well.

bmoore
09-27-2007, 19:24
Sounds like you did a great job, seizures can be a violent act to watch to the lay person. Aside from your actions, maybe try to remember some info. for the medics. Was the seizure full body? How long did it last? Color change? Was there any truama due to a fall? For your training nobody could ask for more than what you did. Strong work.

Dtrain323i
09-29-2007, 22:48
Thanks for the responses. It definately wasn't what I was expecting to experience that day

IndyGunFreak
10-18-2007, 03:31
Sounds like you did a great job, seizures can be a violent act to watch to the lay person. .

Yup, I remember the first one I saw when I was around 17-18. I swear I thought the guy was gonna die right there. I'd never seen anything like it. SInce then, I've saw and provided basic first response care to several more, and they can still be a bit distrubing.

To the OP..
Good job!

Edit: Oops, just realized this was 3 weeks old. Hopefully you guys get some more traffic being on the front page now.

IGF

DoogieHowser
11-01-2007, 08:01
I really don't like the tonic-clonic seizures, had my first one last week and the guy managed to hit his head hard enough for CSF and blood to come out of the left ear and nostrils. All that I could do for him till we got ALS was throw him on O2 (when he wasn't flailing around hitting me) and attempt to give his head support and keep it from hitting anything else.