Any advice for a new Cpl... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for a new Cpl...


AdminJarhead
09-26-2007, 07:44
Select grade came out today, my name is on it, so come the first of Oct...

Grim Jackal
09-26-2007, 15:54
Be fair but stern. Make sure your Marines know what you expect from them and you shouldn't have a problem.

Oh, know your troops strength and weakness and use individual and team strengths to get the job done right the first time.

USMC06
09-26-2007, 16:05
Originally posted by AdminJarhead
Select grade came out today, my name is on it, so come the first of Oct...

Read and then read some more. Stay informed. Stay involved. Be a good communicator. Be an active listener. Set the example. Don't ever see your rank as authority, see it as responsibility.

First and foremost, be an "Obstacle Remover". In other words, always removed obstacles out of poeple's way so that they can sprint down the lane of success. Concentrate on developing champions out of your people. The best leaders are known by the success of their followers.

Be humble. Don't boast. Respect everyone - Private or General.

Colonel of Marines, Retired

Batesmotel
09-26-2007, 16:11
Know all of the jobs one step up and one step down the chain.

Kingslayer
09-27-2007, 14:31
Don't take any crap from the nonrates. At the same time, don't forget where you came from...

Remember, the rank commands respect, but the person wearing the rank still has to earn it.

357glocker
09-27-2007, 18:12
Congrats on your promotion. As a new NCO you have just left the ranks of Pvt, PFC and LCpl. First don't forget that! Second you don't have to be a dick and abandon all your former peers but you have to let them know that there is now that line of work/play. You will have some Marines try to test that line, and when they do, jerk a knot in thier @$$$$ as appropriate! It's your job to ensure they are trained and know their jobs, so therfore you have to know it better! It's not fun, but get enrolled in Corporal's Course. I seldomly had to play games with my Marines because they knew where I stood and what I expected. In fact my Gunny hated my leadership style. He wanted me to constantly be in their six. He led by intimidation and had other NCO's in the Company leading the same way. My Marines always told me they preferred my orders because when I asked something of them they knew it was something that needed to be done not some busy work/game the other NCO's where getting off on. Trust them with your life but be sure of that by close inspections. Enjoy the rank and take advantage of the leadership it can build in you! Earn the respect as you earned the rank.
Semper Fi

USMC Ryfleman
09-27-2007, 18:26
Congratulations, now go have one HELLUVA wet down party there Marine!:usmc:

P.S. Not too "HELLUVA", could wake up the next morning a Lcpl again :rofl:

USMC Ryfleman
09-27-2007, 18:44
Originally posted by USMC06


Colonel of Marines, Retired


Semper Fi Sir :patriot: (best salute I can give online)

AdminJarhead
09-28-2007, 05:46
Thanks for all the advice from everyone. When I checked in here last year I was the junior man on deck in the S1 shop and except for one other new Marine I still am, well until Monday that is. We don't have another NCO so other than the Gunny it's all going to be on me. I just hope that I can live up to the ones that wore this rank before me.

Semper Fi

akapennypincher
09-28-2007, 12:17
Originally posted by Kingslayer


Remember, the rank commands respect, but the person wearing the rank still has to earn it.


BROVO :thumbsup:

lethrnk
10-03-2007, 10:39
1. Never forget the mission.

2. Clearly understood standards... Success equals reward; Failure equals pain. Guard the standard... Don't let it change everyday.

3. If it's broke… fix it!

4. Success breeds success. Failure breeds failure. (Think its cyclical) create a success!

5. The boss just might know more than you.

6. I never learned anything while I was talking!!! The more senior you get, the more you need to listen!

7. Bad news doesn't get any better with age!

8. Don't fall victim to: "I want to be loved!!!"

9. Consider Murphy in every aspect of planning, training, and operating!!!

10. There is no better bath than a good "Hot Wash"!!! Be honest with yourself, your subordinates...

11. People who don't sweat the small stuff... fail the big stuff.
The devil is in the detail... The more you check the better off you are. Confirmation brief... Close the loop....

12. Put lots of "Command" attention into important events.

13. Don't say, "it is"... if "it aint"!!! Don't write a check you can't personally cash!!!

14. When you look around... make sure you see!!!

15. Take care of your people... Be where they are!! Share their discomfort!!!

16. Take care of your people... find the family & domestic issues and become part of the solution. Don't depend on the subcontractor... Family Advocacy, marriage counseling, etc... These are only tools to help you....

17. Your men will respect your rank... You need to earn their personal respect & trust.

18. You must lead and you must manage... and you must know the difference between the two!!!

19. Trust your instincts!!!! Checklists are great management tools but don't let them drive your mentality...

20. If you say you'll deliver... Better be the world's best mailman!
21. Happy hour ain't all-bad!

22. You gotta make choices and prioritize your efforts.

23. The ole FitRep... She ain't what she used to be! Understand that!

24. Watch for marital infidelity... its illegal... its wrong!

25. A wife needs to know how to pump gas...

26. It always frightens me when: -- A 2nd Lt says, "Its been my experience...."-- A Major says, "I've been doing some thinking and....”-- A Section Chief says, "Watch this s--t..."

27. READ!!!!

28. NCO's, SNCO's and Officers get paid to make a difference.... Exercise your judgment and make decisions! Defecate or get off the pot!!!

29. Don't change things to suit your ego... You're the custodian not the owner!!!

30. Stay away from the vertical pronoun!

31. You need your subordinates much more than they need you!!!

32. You live in a glass house... Don't ever forget that!!!

33. You've gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USMC06
10-03-2007, 10:58
Originally posted by usmcGlock0311
Semper Fi Sir :patriot: (best salute I can give online)

Thank you and returned. Have a wonderful week.

Semper Fi,
FT

USMC06
10-03-2007, 11:04
Originally posted by lethrnk
1. Never forget the mission.

2. Clearly understood standards... Success equals reward; Failure equals pain. Guard the standard... Don't let it change everyday.

3. If it's broke… fix it!

4. Success breeds success. Failure breeds failure. (Think its cyclical) create a success!

5. The boss just might know more than you.

6. I never learned anything while I was talking!!! The more senior you get, the more you need to listen!

7. Bad news doesn't get any better with age!

8. Don't fall victim to: "I want to be loved!!!"

9. Consider Murphy in every aspect of planning, training, and operating!!!

10. There is no better bath than a good "Hot Wash"!!! Be honest with yourself, your subordinates...

11. People who don't sweat the small stuff... fail the big stuff.
The devil is in the detail... The more you check the better off you are. Confirmation brief... Close the loop....

12. Put lots of "Command" attention into important events.

13. Don't say, "it is"... if "it aint"!!! Don't write a check you can't personally cash!!!

14. When you look around... make sure you see!!!

15. Take care of your people... Be where they are!! Share their discomfort!!!

16. Take care of your people... find the family & domestic issues and become part of the solution. Don't depend on the subcontractor... Family Advocacy, marriage counseling, etc... These are only tools to help you....

17. Your men will respect your rank... You need to earn their personal respect & trust.

18. You must lead and you must manage... and you must know the difference between the two!!!

19. Trust your instincts!!!! Checklists are great management tools but don't let them drive your mentality...

20. If you say you'll deliver... Better be the world's best mailman!
21. Happy hour ain't all-bad!

22. You gotta make choices and prioritize your efforts.

23. The ole FitRep... She ain't what she used to be! Understand that!

24. Watch for marital infidelity... its illegal... its wrong!

25. A wife needs to know how to pump gas...

26. It always frightens me when: -- A 2nd Lt says, "Its been my experience...."-- A Major says, "I've been doing some thinking and....”-- A Section Chief says, "Watch this s--t..."

27. READ!!!!

28. NCO's, SNCO's and Officers get paid to make a difference.... Exercise your judgment and make decisions! Defecate or get off the pot!!!

29. Don't change things to suit your ego... You're the custodian not the owner!!!

30. Stay away from the vertical pronoun!

31. You need your subordinates much more than they need you!!!

32. You live in a glass house... Don't ever forget that!!!

33. You've gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some good advice above. Heed it. Don't worry about taking credit for something. Make sure you give credit where due.

AdminJarhead
10-03-2007, 14:22
You know, it's only been three days and I am already seeing the difference of actually having Marines. I have a small shop. It's a small detachment as a whole. So I don't have any wiggle room if I have a Marine that doesn't want to work for me. But I am already seeing attitude when I have them do something. I figure I will give it til the end of the week before I start cracking down on the disrespect. Most of it stems from the fact that I was the junior man that busted his ***** to get promoted and I did. Now they're acting butt hurt.

USMC06
10-03-2007, 14:53
Your post says a lot about how you are accepting and discharging your new responsibilities. Communicate clearly in a positive and caring tone what needs to be done. Provide the resources necessary. Remove obstacles. Allow your people to execute. Your tone indicates that your body language is looking for confrontation - that you want to exercise your new authority. Reconsider how you are communicating. Look in the mirror and ask yourself some serious questions.

Colonel of Marines, Retired

AdminJarhead
10-03-2007, 21:30
negative sir, I appologize if it comes off that way. I was aggitated when I posted the thread. Sorry.

Cpl T

USMC06
10-03-2007, 21:41
Originally posted by AdminJarhead
negative sir, I appologize if it comes off that way. I was aggitated when I posted the thread. Sorry.

Cpl T

Understood. Go out of your way to take care of your people and your people will go out of their way to take care of the mission. Never let ego get in the way. Communicate persuasiveness, not authority. People won't care what you know until they know that you care.

AdminJarhead
10-04-2007, 09:58
Originally posted by USMC06
Understood. Go out of your way to take care of your people and your people will go out of their way to take care of the mission. Never let ego get in the way. Communicate persuasiveness, not authority. People won't care what you know until they know that you care.

I really think this approach may work the best. I have seriously been trying to apply it. Expl- We PT before afternoon chow. Yesterday was a 6 mile individual effort run. After PT I gave them an extra half hour to cool down before reporting back to work. Also, before COB I let them go a half hour early and I stayed the rest of the time because I could tell they were beat. I am trying to learn how to read them. I guess I have more about their personalities that I have to learn that I really didn't pay attention to before.

Marine8541
10-04-2007, 13:18
Everyone has a different leadership style and in due deference to the Colonel I'd take a way different direction. In 20+ years I never attempted to persuade any of my men to do anything. I gave clear orders, made sure they were understood and supervised that those orders were carried out and the mission was accomplished. If it wasn't then there would be a price to pay. Never in over 20 years did I ever hear a NCO who was worth a crap try to communicate in a caring manner and attempting to persuade a United States Marine to carry out my orders.

Review your leadership traits, use them but in the infantry this crap wouldn't stand and it's up to you to fix it. Stop trying to be so PC and liked and accomplish the mission.

AdminJarhead
10-04-2007, 14:50
Originally posted by Marine8541
Everyone has a different leadership style and in due deference to the Colonel I'd take a way different direction. In 20+ years I never attempted to persuade any of my men to do anything. I gave clear orders, made sure they were understood and supervised that those orders were carried out and the mission was accomplished. If it wasn't then there would be a price to pay. Never in over 20 years did I ever hear a NCO who was worth a crap try to communicate in a caring manner and attempting to persuade a United States Marine to carry out my orders.

Review your leadership traits, use them but in the infantry this crap wouldn't stand and it's up to you to fix it. Stop trying to be so PC and liked and accomplish the mission.

I read you 5 by 5, today was my last day of being the nice new Cpl

USMC06
10-04-2007, 17:53
You asked for advice and you are probably getting more than you bargained for. As with anything else, there will be differing opinions and that is not a bad thing. There is not one leadership style that works for everyone and there are some styles that work better than others. You have received some well-reasoned advice from some very seasoned Marines, including Marine8541. Read what everyone has to say and do what works best for you. When you go through Drill Instructor school at Parris Island, they don't try to clone you into being your former Drill Instructors, they give you the tools for you to be yourself and be the most effective DI you can be.

My advice comes from a variety of experiences wearing the Marine uniform - from the 60s to the 2000s (parts of five decades). From my days as an infantry team leader, infantry squad leader, and infantry platoon sergeant - in combat; as a Super Squad leader; as a platoon commander and company commander (as a Warrant Officer, Chief Warrant Officer, and LDO); and higher commands as an unrestricted officer. It comes from the 13.5 years in command, including command of a Marine Corps Security Force. It also comes from the post-uniform experience as a Leadership Consultant doing leadership labs for private and public organizations, and it comes from pursuing a Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership. It does not; however, come from political correctness.

Again, listen to all, but form your own opinion and develop your own style.

Respectfully and Semper Fi,
The Colonel

K9Glocker
10-06-2007, 06:50
You must read the unofficial guidebook for Marine NCO's titled;

Fiction and Fact from Dunk's Almanac by Major Duncan.

The best 9.95 you will spend for a leadership book. It made me a better Marine NCO, just don't let any Officers read it. It's what helps Marine NCO's remain the true leaders of the Corps.

Get it here (http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/2285/dunc.html)

Semper Fi.

usmc4641
10-11-2007, 17:25
Definitely don't be the guy to power trip. You will burn some people and it will take months to bring them back.