Summit County Deputies entering homes for no criminal reason [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Summit County Deputies entering homes for no criminal reason

ragnarock47
09-26-2007, 19:15
My first thought after reading the story below is: I certainly hope this doesn't result in any deputies getting injured.

My second thought: Stay the hell out of my house unless you're invited in.

TWINSBURG TOWNSHIP -- The Summit County Sheriff's Department is taking a proactive approach to law enforcement, warning neighbors about unlocked doors.
"Going with the old adage, an ounce of prevention is definitely worth a pound of cure," says Deputy Mark Anspach. "If we can bring it to the attention to these businesses and residents that these problems exist, hopefully we can deter a criminal from taking advantage of them and making them a victim."

The deputies will leave a card at homes and businesses if no one is there, but they'll go in homes to make sure nothing is wrong if they find open doors, sometimes to the shock of residents.

"You get woke up in the middle of the night and somebody's walking around your house or flashing lights on you, it is scary," says Deputy Kirk DeStefano. "But, they feel more safe and secure that way than finding out it was someone trying to break into their house."

Deputies have found 412 unsecured doors on homes and business since January 1st.

The deputies are looking for unlocked doors primarily in Northfield Center, Twinsburg Township, Green, and Coventry.

WKYC video of the story (http://www.wkyc.com/video/player.aspx?aid=43924&bw=)

Text story w/ link to vid toward the bottom (http://www.wkyc.com/news/rss_article.aspx?ref=RSS&storyid=75057)

gmachine
09-27-2007, 08:20
They may be well meaning, but that's dangerous to come on someone's house at night like that.

I keep my doors luck. But, if someone cruises in my house in the middle of the night, they're going to be looking at the business end of one of my guns!

That seems like this would be an illegal search.

:alex:

Magicmanmb
09-27-2007, 08:47
Have they ever heard of the constitution? 4th amendment?? I can see shaking a door knob on a business but if I forgot to lock my door and someone wakes me up with light in my face they better duck. Around here w've had several home invasions with a similar technique. Find an unlocked door and shine a light on the people and tell them to freeze police.

9L82
09-27-2007, 22:12
I truly understand your points, but from an officer's point of view, I am required to search and secure any house/building I find left open.

If someone had actually broken into the house and we didn't check, then we would be in hot water. That said, I have never done door checks on private residences. The only times I have walked in on someone was when I had an alarm drop and found a door unlocked

I do have a problem with them going out and saying they are looking for open doors. There is no egitimate reason to walk up to someone's house and check their doors for no reason.

The violation of the 4th Amm. does not apply if they are entering in good faith( stupid but good faith). It only applies when the state illegally searches for evidence.

Magicmanmb
09-28-2007, 09:04
The "checking to see if they locked up" on a private residence sounds a lot like a reason for an illegal plain sight search. Why would they enter onto private property without legal justification? In South Carolina unless you are investigating in relation to a call for service entering onto private property is trespass, unless you are in pursuit of a suspect. Is the homeowner who gets a awakened by a highpowered light in his face, then shoots a deputy going to be charged? What about the elderly person that ends up scared into a heart attack? Can they show a reduction in crime, by this? Have they actually found any residential/commercial burglaries in progress? I see this as probable deputy or law abiding homeowner being shot. And the brain trust that came up with it will likely figure a way to get federal grant dollars. The only time we ever checked private residences was when the homeowner was out of town and had requested it or we were searching for someone within a set area.

firedog978
09-29-2007, 06:55
Checking businesses (after hours) for locked doors is one thing, but to check private dwellings? NO WAY! Not only is this questionable for legal reasons, but it is also questionable for departmental policy and officers/residents safety! If this occurs often enough, someone is going to get shot! If it were done in my area (I can't see it happening), and my home was entered; there'd likely be a gun battle.
This department needs to re-think this decision AND FAST!

Edited to add: This wouldn't even happen in Mayberry!
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s135/firedog978/Barney.jpg

Thed
09-29-2007, 10:49
This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.
Someone's going to get shot.

mitchshrader
09-29-2007, 10:53
you're wrong. i'm armed.

it's my door if i want it open.

Thed
09-29-2007, 10:59
And the reason it's okay when cops check doors on businesses and will walk in if it's open is cause nobody is supposed to be in there.

JSK333
09-30-2007, 15:52
What law are they enforcing that says any doors must be locked, business or private? If no such law, what do they think they're doing?

What's next, check to make sure you've taken your car stereo faceplate with you, or else they'll take it for safekeeping so a criminal doesn't?

9L82
10-01-2007, 00:47
Originally posted by JSK333
What law are they enforcing that says any doors must be locked, business or private? If no such law, what do they think they're doing?

What's next, check to make sure you've taken your car stereo faceplate with you, or else they'll take it for safekeeping so a criminal doesn't?

I might support that one. I get tired of taking reports for preventable thefts. Please stop leaving the Crown Jewels on the front seat of your unlocked car!!!!:animlol:

gdixon235
10-12-2007, 12:46
wonder what would happen if one came in and you shot.

Magicmanmb
10-12-2007, 15:38
If there is anyone in that area of Ohio that has an update please post as it was one of the areas my wife and I are considering buying a couple of tax properties in, to turn into rentals. We've pretty much decided were moving back to West Virginia. But since we have bought and rehabbed a couple of houses in PA & OH. Yes I hope one day to be a slumlord but until I have my back surgery I'm stuck & guaranteed income off rental has kept us going for the 18 months it's taken so far to get as far as we have (AIG Stinks).

flitcrma
10-13-2007, 07:23
Good intentions, but somebody is going to wind up seriously injured or killed because of this. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I hear somebody in my house my gun is in my hand. And NO I will not take the gun off of somebody in uniform until I get to a phone and dial 911 to verify things.

I'll then file a nice lawsuit in court over 4rth amendment right violations.

Magicmanmb
11-22-2007, 11:13
Has the local news had any updates on this story??

ContractSoldier
11-22-2007, 20:52
And doing something Illegal when they just walk right Into your home with out warrent, guess what, your rights mean no jail time In this case.

Ghost361
11-25-2007, 23:11
I truly understand your points, but from an officer's point of view, I am required to search and secure any house/building I find left open.

If someone had actually broken into the house and we didn't check, then we would be in hot water. That said, I have never done door checks on private residences. The only times I have walked in on someone was when I had an alarm drop and found a door unlocked

I do have a problem with them going out and saying they are looking for open doors. There is no egitimate reason to walk up to someone's house and check their doors for no reason.

The violation of the 4th Amm. does not apply if they are entering in good faith( stupid but good faith). It only applies when the state illegally searches for evidence.

As a fellow LEO I agree with checking an alarm. But, and a big BUT being an LEO I am the first one to tell you that the individual who spooks me in my house in the middle of the night is going to be perceived by me as an intruder plain and simple. I would feel horrible if I shot a policeman because they made a mistake. Along the same lines are the times the addresses get mixed up on warrants or there are two identical addresses on a Street and a Place. I would feel horrible to have that policeman acting in good faith and me acting in good faith. One of us is going to lose and maybe both. I would also hate to be the policeman that shot someone trying to defend thier home because they thought I was an intruder. I hope they stop this policy immediately and see it for the tactical nightmare it really is. I understand the closed business in the middle of the night but to carry that to a persons home is insane. As far as the constitutional amendment arguement goes I will leave that to the courts. Just looking at it from the Officer/Civilian safety issue I believe they are creating a more dangerous situation for the public than they are preventing.

anyplainjoe
11-26-2007, 06:54
any updates on this?

Minuteman
11-26-2007, 07:31

If someone had actually broken into the house and we didn't check, then we would be in hot water. .

Really? That's amazing since the police and the courts keep saying the police have no obligation to protect individuals and cannot be held responsible.

The sign says "Keep out". This means you.

Minuteman
11-26-2007, 07:33
Read it, learn it, live it.

[Amendment IV]

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses,
papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures,
shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon
probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly
describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to
be seized.

Blitzer
11-26-2007, 07:59
Deputies making sure doors are locked before criminals notice

<!--- photo ---> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="570"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="3"> <!-- photo and caption --> <table id="GetFullStory1_tblimages" class="gtv_imagestable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td>http://www.wkyc.com/assetpool/images/07926163525_300x225-lock-your-doors.jpg

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
</td> <td valign="top"> Vic Gideon (vicgideon@wkyc.com)
Created: 9/26/2007 5:47:07 PM
Updated:9/27/2007 1:18:25 PM

</td></tr></tbody></table> <!--- end headline, photo ---> TWINSBURG TOWNSHIP -- The Summit County Sheriff's Department is taking a proactive approach to law enforcement, warning neighbors about unlocked doors.
"Going with the old adage, an ounce of prevention is definitely worth a pound of cure," says Deputy Mark Anspach. "If we can bring it to the attention to these businesses and residents that these problems exist, hopefully we can deter a criminal from taking advantage of them and making them a victim."

The deputies will leave a card at homes and businesses if no one is there, but they'll go in homes to make sure nothing is wrong if they find open doors, sometimes to the shock of residents.

"You get woke up in the middle of the night and somebody's walking around your house or flashing lights on you, it is scary," says Deputy Kirk DeStefano. "But, they feel more safe and secure that way than finding out it was someone trying to break into their house."

Deputies have found 412 unsecured doors on homes and business since January 1st.

The deputies are looking for unlocked doors primarily in Northfield Center, Twinsburg Township, Green, and Coventry.
<!--- existing content --->

<table id="GetFullStory1_tblvideo" class="gtv_imagestable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="570"><tbody><tr> <td>Video

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
Play Video for Vic Gideon's story
(http://www.wkyc.com/video/player.aspx?aid=43924&bw=)

Click here for more video clips (http://www.wkyc.com/video/)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Blitzer
11-26-2007, 08:13
any updates on this?

I did a search of WKYC and there is no other articles on this, maybe the publics' reaction killed it in it's tracks!

The Summit County Sheriff is a freaking RINO by the way.

anyplainjoe
12-01-2007, 14:39
read thru this shortened article for a surprise tie in....

ROCHESTER, N.H. — Leeland Eisenberg was already in trouble before he walked into one of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign offices.

Three days earlier, his wife had filed for divorce; he was due to appear in court with her for a domestic violence hearing in about half an hour.

Then, the nicely dressed, gray-haired man peeled open his jacket to reveal what looked like dynamite strapped to his chest, authorities said, and things got much worse.

Police say Eisenberg went to the office Friday demanding to talk to Clinton about helping him get mental health care and ended up taking at least five people, including an infant, hostage. Night would fall before the last one walked free and the hostage-taker peacefully surrendered...

Eisenberg made local headlines in March when he held a news conference on the steps of Rochester City Hall to complain about a police policy of placing fliers in unlocked cars warning motorists to lock their doors.

"This is nothing more than a gimmick to get around the Constitution and go around in the middle of the night upon unsuspecting citizens in their own yard and search their vehicles," he said at the time.

Police, who said they were just trying to reduce theft from motor vehicles, changed the policy in response.