Laws on aligators and when deadly force can be used? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laws on aligators and when deadly force can be used?

passive101
09-27-2007, 00:30
In WI we had black bears to deal with, not to many of those in the city near the coast I'm guessing.

What about these alligators? I saw on the news a man had his arm ripped off in a golf course just recently.

What are the laws on this? I'm pretty sure a gator can kill me faster then many people without a weapon.

I'm from WI, so please excuse my ignorance if these things are protected or something. If so do they make sprays or anything? I have never head of such a thing if they do.

rich52us
09-27-2007, 06:48
Originally posted by passive101

What are the laws on this? I'm pretty sure a gator can kill me faster then many people without a weapon.

Gators seem to use deadly force whenever they want to.:animlol:

And they're protected. If a gator is identified as a nuisance, you have to call the state and a licensed trapper deals with the situation. I quess no one would object if you were to use deadly force in defense of human life. The best thing to do is stay away from them and places they are likely to be.

rvrctyrngr
09-27-2007, 08:12
What Rich said! People have been charged for whacking gators on their own property!

Besides, unless you're packing a 12-gauge, .308 rifle or a grenade in your SmartCarry, I wouldn't even try. They're a LOT faster on land than you think, and aren't very easy to kill.

noway
09-27-2007, 13:35
Gators aren't hard to kill. People have done it with much lesser than 12ga,308, grenade or bazooka.

Spears heads, big knives, bows and bangstick all work great.

fyi...They aren't nowhere as fast on land as in the water and won't exert that much wasted energy in chasing any thing down on land as what some would have you believe. Gators goes for quick easy takings.

As far as the laws goes, you have the right to be protected. If you have to shoot a gator make sure it was really neccessary and was the only resort you have. If you find a gator , don't try to trap it without the proper license, don't not kill it , do not try to secure it, all of the above could land you in some hot water or jail or big citations and fine.

What you can do to stay out of the big water lizard with thick tail and big teeth mouth;

1> don't feed them ( yeap feeding them is the worst thing you can do for you and the gator )

2> call in to FWC when you catch us stupid humans feeding them. ( yeap reporting them and getting that person in trouble could save the gator life and a future possible victim )

3> don't discard fish parts and other food sources around waterways

4> secure your pets

5> pay attention. A 4 ft or longer gator is not hard to miss unless your blind or out at night near or in water.

6> stay out of natural waterways and use the swimming pool

7> make alot of loud noises and don't act like a food prey ( i.e fish, frog, small mammal,etc.......)

fwiw: a gator walking on your property is not a reason to kill it. Your chances of being attack by a gator if you follow #1-7 is mighty slims.

rvrctyrngr
09-27-2007, 15:02
Originally posted by noway
Gators aren't hard to kill. People have done it with much lesser than 12ga,308, grenade or bazooka.

Spears heads, big knives, bows and bangstick all work great.

Very true. However, at my age, I'm not getting close enough to use any of the above methods.

In our day, 12-gauge 00 Buck to the noggin was the preferred method. Better chance of hitting that itty bitty brain switch.

packinaglock
09-27-2007, 18:41
I always carry when I take my sons fishing at the canals just in case

packinaglock
09-27-2007, 18:44
Oh and passive I have a brother in law from fondalac WI he doesn't know what to think of gators either

MeanMike
09-28-2007, 14:44

6>use the swimming pool

and to add one thing. LOOK BEFORE JUMPING IN

Gators finding there way into backyard swimming pools is very common..

passive101
09-29-2007, 10:46
Originally posted by packinaglock
Oh and passive I have a brother in law from fondalac WI he doesn't know what to think of gators either

I have family in Fondalac. Great place up there. If you know the fondalac area, then you'll know why S Florida is such a culture shock.

I have yet to see a live one.

packinaglock
09-29-2007, 11:41
Take a ride thru the corbet wildlife area I see them along the canals all the time. And yes I went to Fondalac when my sister got married it was freezing in mid May:shocked:

noway
09-29-2007, 19:49
I just came back from corbettWMA and had a gator cross my trail about 35-50ft from water and he had caught a small animal ( most likely a coon or dillo )

Man I was so close to danger and survied ;)

The most threating thing today out in the wild was Mosquitoes
:rofl:

mike1969
10-02-2007, 19:11
Passive what part of Florida are you in??

If you go through Naples there is a place where the gators like to lie on the side of the road. The last time I seen that was when I working for ACS. We had to go drag some network cable through the Walmart in Bradenton. We were on the way down, when the guy who is driving the car, stops. Im like what the hell is he stopping for. I dont ask, Im thinking he has to pee or something. Well, he gets out, grabs his bag, grabs a camera, and run behinds the car. Now Im curious to what he is doing.

He was taking pics of a gator on the break down lane, sunning itself.

passive101
10-03-2007, 00:53
Wow. I'm in Tamarac now.

Blitzer
10-03-2007, 03:19
I just came back from corbettWMA and had a gator cross my trail about 35-50ft from water and he had caught a small animal ( most likely a coon or dillo )

Man I was so close to danger and survied ;)

The most threating thing today out in the wild was Mosquitoes
:rofl:

A camper in Florida overheard two Mosquitoes taking. The first skeeter says to the other, "You want to eat him here or take him back to the swamp for later?" Second skeeter's reply, "Nope! If we take him back there the big boys will take him away from us!"

:supergrin: ;)

Gmountain
10-03-2007, 05:11

7> make alot of loud noises and don't act like a food prey ( i.e fish, frog, small mammal,etc.......)

How do you act like a frog?:rofl: Oh, wait, you mean eat croissants and smoke Galoises?

Dual_40's
10-10-2007, 16:18
When you get down to east naples youll see gators in the breakdown lanes, or crossing the road, or just on the grass on the side of the road. You see this the most on US41. The reason being is east naples is basicly in the middle of the everglades. They sun themselves there because that road is about the only high ground running through the glades. Not to mention its much warmer on the road or near it. Most will run back in the water if you stop to look at them and get too close.

rvrctyrngr
10-10-2007, 18:18
Originally posted by Dual_40's
Most will run back in the water if you stop to look at them and get too close.

....and sometimes they won't. :supergrin:

passive101
10-11-2007, 04:40
Now I want to go to Naples, but not on the motorcycle and not in our car which has reliability issues.

Question. What if your motorcycle breaks down on that road and an alligator or 2 try to attack you. Can you then defend yourself legally? Or is that one of the instances where you defend yourself and push the bike and keep on going?

noway
10-11-2007, 18:54
If your bike breaks down and you get attack by an lizard with big tails and teeth than you will figure out what/how you need to survive. If that means running away or shooting, you sooner figure out what you need at that time and instance.

FWIW I live on the water play in it everytime that I can and if I'm not out hunting and not once not even remotely have I've been in any thing closely remotely close that needed a gun to defend myself from and gator ( the repitlle and not the sorry football team ;) )

Millions (in fl and other states ) of people do the same as me and also manage to get by withouot shooting a gator also.

rvrctyrngr
10-12-2007, 05:51
What noway said.

I grew up on the edge of the glades. Fishing, skiing, hunting, and just generally goofing off in the wilderness. In 22 years down there, I probably killed less than half a dozen gators. Only one of those was a 'defensive' situation.

The rest were tasty.

Kingslayer
10-12-2007, 07:16
One of our WalMarts has gators in the parking lot. There's a big pond beside the store and sometimes in the winter they mosey up to sun themselves on the black top.

packinaglock
10-13-2007, 05:38
Originally posted by rvrctyrngr
What noway said.

I grew up on the edge of the glades. Fishing, skiing, hunting, and just generally goofing off in the wilderness. In 22 years down there, I probably killed less than half a dozen gators. Only one of those was a 'defensive' situation.

The rest were tasty.

Gators are tastey arn't they!

rvrctyrngr
10-14-2007, 10:20
:cheers:
:eat: :eat:

packinaglock
10-16-2007, 18:28
My favorite is cubed and deep fried:banana:

rich52us
10-16-2007, 18:45
Originally posted by rvrctyrngr
What noway said.

The rest were tasty.

Is that where the expression comes from?:

"Some days you eat the gator - some days the gator eats you":animlol:

rvrctyrngr
10-16-2007, 19:01
I don't think so, Tim! (Gratuitous HomeImprovement reference) :supergrin:

glock_19_9mm
10-16-2007, 19:29
Knock Knock....