Upgrade Update 09-27-07 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Update 09-27-07

Eric
09-27-2007, 13:50
Hi folks. I think I have the database conversion program needed to upgrade the site ready to go. I say I 'think' because it fails when I test it. I think it is failing though because the only server I currently have deployed that can handle it is also serving the GT database and I can't run the program without crashing the database server. It is working too hard already. I need to get the new servers deployed in order for the database program to be able to run. I don't think the old server will handle it properly even if I take the site completely offline while I run it and then if it does fail, I will have that down time plus the six or seven hours it will take to restore a copy of the old database.

I haven't deployed the new equipment before now due to health reasons. The heart condition is actually well in-hand. I am walking three miles a day at no less than 3.5mph. I checked my pulse and pressure yesterday, about ten minutes after the walk, and my BP was 126/73 & my pulse was 63. The meds, coupled with the exercise and diet, seem to be doing wonders. The problem recently has been that one of the meds is playing merry hell with my hiatal hernia. The pain and discomfort from that has actually been quite a bit worse than the damned heart attack. It is getting better though and I am grateful.

At any rate, I am going to leave next Monday to take the new servers and other equipment back to deploy it. I also just found out that my ISP is moving my network to another data center, so I am going to deploy the new equipment at the same time that move occurs. We are only moving a few blocks and all of the ip numbers and routes will be unchanged, so the downtime should be minimal.

Once the new equipment is deployed, I will get back home and get the database changed over and the site upgraded. The upgrade is the core of the launch of the paid tier. The new functionality of the upgraded software provides a foundation for everything that will follow. The versatility of the options schema in the new software is what makes this new system possible. Many of the new features in the upgraded software also will become components of the paid tier system. Once that upgrade occurs, the membership statuses will get added next, along with the new membership icons. At this point, a number of the smaller bennies of paid membership will be online.

Next, I will install the photo hosting software. This addition, along with all of the others, will be quickly added and will integrate easily and seamlessly with the rest of the site. It will take no more than a week to add the photo hosting software, the new review system, the new classified ads software and several other new features.

The video hosting software will take a little longer, due to some changes that will have to be made to the OS on the server to launch it and those changes cannot occur until the box is deployed. The yourname@glocktalk.com email will take a little longer as well. I have given up the idea of trying to host this service internally. There are a number of technical challenges with doing so, but the most compelling consideration is that of having to deal with spammers, spam and viruses. There is a huge potential for exploitation with this sort of system and I want to get a company that does this sort of thing every day deal with it. If any of you know of any companies that offer this sort of service, please PM or email me with their particulars. I am inquiring with one company now, but they seem less than enthused to deal with a firearms enthusiast website.

My original time-line is completely shot, at this point. Everyone has been very understanding about this and it is appreciated. At this point, we are looking at next weekend for the site upgrade, followed by the other major features coming online in the following week. It is the best I can do. I want to remind everyone that the clock does not start ticking on any of the yearly memberships until the system launches. Once it does launch, that won't be the end of it. There will be new features and functions coming online periodically, as they are suggested and developed. Thanks again folks. Eric

USMCsilver
09-27-2007, 14:01
Good deal! Lookin' forward to everything coming online.

And congrats on getting better! :hugs:

Eric
09-27-2007, 15:33
Hi again. I just talked with a company that should be able to handle our needs for the @glocktalk.com email service. The service will make GT a little extra money, it provides a very nice interface for members and it will probably be ready to deploy at the same time as the upgrade. I'll post more about this soon. More to come. Eric

mcmoyer
09-27-2007, 17:05
Glad to hear you're feeling better! Take it easy on yourself....

:supergrin:

prism
09-27-2007, 19:50
can you tell us the specs of the new servers?

about email companies, here are a couple that do it for free. you may have heard of them.......

http://domains.live.com/

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/admins/editions.html

Bogey
09-28-2007, 10:13
Glad to hear you're doing better, Eric.

As far as I'm concerned, take all the time you need to get set up the way you need to. I'll be here to enjoy it when you do. :thumbsup:

texas 48
09-29-2007, 08:35
Take your time Eric. Your health is much more important. THe race is not always to the swift.

Carolina Drifter
09-30-2007, 20:01
Eric,

The only thing I've been worried about the whole time was your health. I knew the rest would come in time. I'm really happy you're doing well.

:thumbsup:

SeriousStudent
09-30-2007, 20:11
Congrats on your progress! I am glad to hear your exercise regime is progressing so well. Best of luck to you with the hernia, they can be so aggravating.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you on the upgrade, it's always a nervous time. But I am sure it will go fine. :)

SomeDay
09-30-2007, 23:35
Thanks for the update. I'm sure (well, I hope) the majority of people around here care more about your health then they do time tables and launch dates. Glad to hear you're doing better. Can't wait until you can report that you're 100% healthy again.

pupcuss27
10-01-2007, 19:00
Originally posted by SomeDay
Thanks for the update. I'm sure (well, I hope) the majority of people around here care more about your health then they do time tables and launch dates. Glad to hear you're doing better. Can't wait until you can report that you're 100% healthy again.

Ditto, God's speed in your rehab Eric. We've got your six, your

health comes first. :thumbsup:

Nicky D
10-02-2007, 16:10
Eric, Glad to hear that your are coming along, sorry about the meds and the hernia. Thanks for the update and as it has been said take as long as necessary, your health is more important.

Redondo
10-03-2007, 05:48
Originally posted by Carolina Drifter
Eric,

The only thing I've been worried about the whole time was your health. I knew the rest would come in time. I'm really happy you're doing well.

:thumbsup: DITTO!

succo
10-03-2007, 12:24
Best wishes, Eric! Stay well and recover quick!

regards from munich, germany

desertdisciple
10-08-2007, 23:18
anyone hear of the progress?...

thought the launch was this last weekend...