Fire/EMS Scanner??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fire/EMS Scanner???

glocker36
09-28-2007, 11:55
I am joining a local paid/on call fire department and so I would like to be able to monitor frequencies. My question is what should I look for in a scanner?

Mobile is important to me

I want at trunk tracker scanner

I have seen several Uniden units and they look good and are resonable.

Do you have any favorite units that you can recommend as well as where to buy.

Thanks

sdsnet
09-28-2007, 12:43
Buy a Uniden scanner online. I have the BCT15 which was about $250.00 which gets police, fire, weather, and aviation too. There are less expensive versions. Uniden makes excellent scanners. You can get them on Amazon.com for pretty good prices.

Tvov
09-28-2007, 13:05
You probably already have done this, but double check what frequencys the local emergency departments use. A lot of departments are switching to UHF, and the scanners for those start at $500 as far as I am aware (at least in my area).

DScottHewitt
09-29-2007, 20:38
I would think a paid/on call agency could issue you a pager.....

Scott

n8ick
09-29-2007, 20:51
Originally posted by DScottHewitt
I would think a paid/on call agency could issue you a pager.....

Scott

I agree, you aren't issued a radio or pager?

Resqu2
10-02-2007, 18:51
Hey,
I use a Vertex VX180, link below. it's handheld, 16 channels and has paging capibilities. Military tough!! also cheap, I paid $200 for mine

http://www.vxstd.com/en/products/lmr_protable.html#vx180

sandhiller
10-02-2007, 22:11
I agree with DScott and N8. With all the Homeland Security Grant money going for communications this last round, the dept. should have plenty of extra pagers. I belong to a volunteer FD (in my county there are no paid FD or EMS, all volunteer) I was issued a pager and a 50 watt mobile for my pickup.

obxprnstar
10-02-2007, 22:46
Originally posted by Resqu2
Hey,
I use a Vertex VX180, link below. it's handheld, 16 channels and has paging capibilities. Military tough!! also cheap, I paid $200 for mine

http://www.vxstd.com/en/products/lmr_protable.html#vx180 Ohhhh, a portable. I sometimes think I could use one of my own.

lomfs24
10-10-2007, 06:37
there are a lot of options. handheld radios purchased on eBay, pagers purchased on ebay, scanners, etc.... I have an old bearcat scanner which get's pretty much every band between 40MHz through 1500MHz. (Including cellular, scanner was produced before it was illegal to monitor cellular bands.) Handheld radios are handy, I know Kenwood handhelds can be programmed as a 2-tone pager as well. I am sure other handhelds can be as well, but I am not sure which brands can or can't.