The Demand for Diesel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Demand for Diesel

isuzu
09-29-2007, 14:28
Watched an episode of an show featuring automobiles last night, and automobile manufacturers are going to introduce Diesel-powered cars and SUVs to the North American market, starting with the US.

Of course, there are already diesel-powered cars and pick-up trucks here, but the choices are very limited. I believe it's only VW that offers diesel-powered cars.

It said that Honda will be releasing its diesel Accord; Jeep their diesel Grand Cherokee, a diesel Chrysler 300, and a diesel-electric Opel car (same technology that is being used in trains). Toyota is also thinking of offering diesel-powered pick up trucks to the North American market.

It is only now that North Americans have taken notice of using diesel engines. When the price of oil was low, everybody was into gasoline engines. With the current situation, consumers have found out that diesel engines are more efficient and last twice as much compared to gasoline engines.

If there will be a significant switch to diesel-powered cars, there is a tendency that the price of diesel worldwide might go up, and we could be affected in the Philippines, since the majority of motorists there have diesel-powered engines. We presently import diesel because of the shortfall of production and we export gasoline because there's just an excess of it when we refine oil.

Eye Cutter
09-29-2007, 17:40
yup! yup! i've changed my perception of the lowly diesel engine myself. Very efficient and powerful na ngayon compared to the old smoke spewing diesel engines several years back.

kcboy
09-29-2007, 20:05
thanks to the new breed of crdi diesel engines, much more fuel efficient, more powerful and much much more clean burning.:banana:

bulm540
09-29-2007, 21:12
The only problem here is, that diesel is about 30 cents more expensive. Currently over $3 a gallon.

New_comer
09-29-2007, 21:23
But if it gets you 50-75% more mileage, it's still cheaper per mile :thumbsup:

isuzu
09-29-2007, 21:31
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
yup! yup! i've changed my perception of the lowly diesel engine myself. Very efficient and powerful na ngayon compared to the old smoke spewing diesel engines several years back.

Audi is running several LeMans cars which are diesel-powered. They're so fuel efficient that the number of times they refuel is restricted. They have a top speed of 300 kms/hr.

CatsMeow
09-29-2007, 22:07
In the 80s Mercedes-Benz used to have a race car powered by their 5-cylinder turbo diesel, the one used in those big Mercedes 300D saloons that are still quite common here. Famed off road racer Robby Gordon entered the Dakar rally in a Volkswagen Touareg diesel and did very well. And there are now aircraft diesels such as the Diamond Twinstar. The diesel is thus alive and well.

I saw a clip at YouTube of a Chevy pickup powered by a Detroit Diesel 3-53 (I'm fascinated with Detroits), and I got a magazine showing another Chevy with a Detroit 4-53. Back home we have a Toyota Land Cruiser that's only five years younger than me, with a B series diesel whose engine braking will keep you at a constant low speed even how steep the incline downhill.:thumbsup:

revo
09-30-2007, 07:23
The attraction to diesel in the US is fueled (no pun intended) by the desire to have less dependence in oil which caused the war in the middle east. if you have a diesel car, you can use bio-diesel.

Eye Cutter
09-30-2007, 07:29
i've been using coco-diesel since Oct. last year. it really helps lessen smoke emissions.

it is now mandatory for all filling stations to use a 1% bio diesel blend. this is good for the local coconut industry

isuzu
09-30-2007, 11:56
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
i've been using coco-diesel since Oct. last year. it really helps lessen smoke emissions.

it is now mandatory for all filling stations to use a 1% bio diesel blend. this is good for the local coconut industry

I noticed that, too when I went home in June. I've seen lesser diesel powered vehicles emitting black smoke, and on my parents' Hi-Lux and Land Cruiser with IH-Z engine, there's barely any smoke. Acceleration was more responsive compared to the pure diesel fuel.

revo
09-30-2007, 14:50
That's great news !

Gives new meaning to our parents's advice -

'Use your coconut !'

Mabuhay ang Pinas !

isuzu
09-30-2007, 16:51
Originally posted by revo
That's great news !

Gives new meaning to our parents's advice -

'Use your coconut !'

Mabuhay ang Pinas !

Kaso lang, there's a coconut beetle infestation in the Philippines. It's threatening the coconut industry. What we've used in the past was that we placed sand on top of the coconut trees to kill the beetle. Once it bores into the coconut tree, sand gets into the back of the neck, incapacitating the beetle.

BTW, Ford is releasing a turbocharged diesel Focus which boasts of a 21 km/liter fuel consumption.

batangueno
10-01-2007, 06:02
That ford focus tdci model already came out here in the philippines a couple of months ago. Sayang hindi ko inabot.

isuzu
10-01-2007, 18:28
Originally posted by batangueno
That ford focus tdci model already came out here in the philippines a couple of months ago. Sayang hindi ko inabot.

Batangueño,

Any idea how it's doing in the market? That reminds me of the Isuzu Gemini way back in the 80's. P50 lang na diesel, buong araw at gabi na ang ikot.

CatsMeow
10-01-2007, 18:56
Some years ago, I read that there were a couple of ladies in a Chevy diesel van who went around the US, and they fueled their van with the used cooking oil used for deep-frying french fries which they collected from fast food outlets. The van's exhaust even smelled of french fries.:supergrin:

In England, it's a common practice; it was even shown on TV, but they filter it first with some elaborate contraption. The British government actively discourages it, perhaps because they pay no more taxes for fuel.:supergrin: That's "bio-diesel" American and British style.

It was the Japanese who pioneered the use of diesels in tanks.

Vault Keeper
10-01-2007, 19:36
...And who would have thought diesel will someday be as expensive as gasoline...

Just like the "maong" pants, which my lola told me was only worn by laborers in the 30's or 40's....now a pair would easily cost more than a thousand pesos....:shocked: