School shooting drill [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : School shooting drill

karateman
09-30-2007, 18:29
Hey there all, what a day.

We had a drill at my squads local High School today.8 Grown adults attacked by setting off explosive devices and then going on a shooting spree, they then took hostages.

From EMS side things were a tad bit crazy, but makes you think alot. I would hate to be a victom who go shot, waiting around before help can get to you.

We had many agencies at the drill from BLS, ALS, Swat, Hostage Negotiaters, Fire, and local Office of Emergency Management.
And of course all the uniformed officers available. I sure know that a four hour drill, at least in real life would have lasted a whole lot longer. One thing is there are many things that happen on a sunday drill, that would not be as easy during the real thing.

Example, 60 students volunteered as well as some teachers. Of course during normal school hours there would be about 2000 people on the school campus. We also would not have the use of all the parking lots for staging, as they would be filled with students and staff cars. News Media would be swarming the area. I also think in real life we would be staged much further away than we were.

But hey thats what drills are for, practice and learn how to work together.

RyanNREMTP
09-30-2007, 20:16
Glad it went well. After those drills usually it leaves everyone thinking what they could have done better and wishing it never has to really happen.

obxprnstar
10-02-2007, 22:41
We did similar training a few weeks ago, interesting and eye opening.

DepChief
10-12-2007, 13:00
Originally posted by karateman

Example, 60 students volunteered as well as some teachers. Of course during normal school hours there would be about 2000 people on the school campus.

I am surprised your law enforcement agencies allowed students to be there. I recently took a similar class and drill and the officer running it said that students should never be allowed to participate in these drills because they dont want the students to know how the police respond to these incidents, because it will be the students doing the shooting. Kinda like inviting perspective bank robbers to a police dept bank robbery drill.

karateman
10-12-2007, 14:10
Well in the case of our drill, students were not the ones shooting, and the drill was not run by law enforcement. Overall all Departments involved learned alot from the experience of working together.

DepChief
10-12-2007, 17:38
Originally posted by karateman
Well in the case of our drill, students were not the ones shooting, and the drill was not run by law enforcement. Overall all Departments involved learned alot from the experience of working together.

We are planning something similar for the near future, this last one was MAINLY for law enforcement. What town was this in, I am a central NJ native.

obxprnstar
10-12-2007, 20:03
Originally posted by DepChief
We are planning something similar for the near future, this last one was MAINLY for law enforcement. What town was this in, I am a central NJ native. WHAT?!?!?!

NJ?

DepChief
10-13-2007, 06:33
Originally posted by obxprnstar
WHAT?!?!?!

NJ?

How did I know you were gonna chime in? North Annapolis is in NY, right?

obxprnstar
10-13-2007, 13:27
How did I know you were gonna chime in? North Annapolis is in NY, right? http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/obxprnstar/modeleric.jpg

DepChief
10-13-2007, 20:32
Same expression everyone makes when they see you in a bathing suit!!!

http://www.kittyhawkfd.com/KHOR%20Fun/goofy-terry.jpg

karateman
10-14-2007, 15:11
BRIDGEWATER ...............

obxprnstar
10-14-2007, 15:31
Same expression everyone makes when they see you in a bathing suit!!!

http://www.kittyhawkfd.com/KHOR%20Fun/goofy-terry.jpg I am so sexy

PaulBk
10-15-2007, 12:42
I am surprised your law enforcement agencies allowed students to be there. I recently took a similar class and drill and the officer running it said that students should never be allowed to participate in these drills because they dont want the students to know how the police respond to these incidents, because it will be the students doing the shooting. Kinda like inviting perspective bank robbers to a police dept bank robbery drill.

Our local PD, SD, FD, and SWAT do yearly active shooter drills with all students present. The students go into immediate lock down, so they don't directly observe the procedures, but they are all there in the buildings and surrounding area.

-Paul