Chuck Norris - “Honorary Marine” [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Norris - “Honorary Marine”

Blitzer
10-01-2007, 06:43
Chuck Norris Visits Leathernecks

Marine Corps News | September 24, 2007

AL ASAD, Iraq -- They say Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits.

They also say Chuck Norris' tears can cure cancer; it is just too bad he never cries.

Chuck Norris does not just support the military, he comes out to Iraq to shake the hand of every servicemember he can.

The man, the myth, the legend, Chuck Norris, held a meet and greet with Al Asad servicemembers at the Morale, Welfare and Recreation Center, Sept. 15.

During the event, Norris shook hands and took pictures with hundreds of Marines, Sailors, Soldiers and Airmen. Norris also visited service members at the Al Asad hospital during his stay. The stop was part of a tour of bases throughout the Middle East.

“We’re going to about 15 bases over here, and getting a chance to meet with as many troops as we can,” said Norris. “Last year, I shook hands and took pictures with about 18,000 troops, and hopefully I can surpass that this year.”

Norris, a former service member, expressed to the crowd his appreciation and support for everything they are doing in Iraq.

“The thing is, I’ve always been involved in the military,” explained Norris. “I’m ex-military myself. I just want the troops over here to know that, back in America, we are all supporting them. I mean you see support stickers on every car on the road. And our prayers and our thoughts are with all the troops that are over here.”

Wearing Marine Corps digital utilities with “Honorary Marine” over the breast pocket, Norris shared a smile and some kind words with everyone he met.

“I’ve played a Marine in a lot of movies,” said Norris. “But then I was fortunate enough for General Conway to make me an honorary Marine. So now I’m official, I can say Semper Fi and all that. That’s why I did so many military movies. I’ve done about eight movies that dealt with the military, and that’s because it’s something that is really close to me. The military turned my life around. When I went in right after high school, I had a lot of problems, and the military really helped straighten me out, and it does that for a lot of young people.”

The service members in the crowd expressed their excitement to meet one of their childhood heroes as the sound of the audience chanting Norris’ name could be heard outside the MWR building before the event.

“I love Chuck Norris, he’s awesome,” said Pfc. Kevin Flores, a traffic management clerk with Combat Logistics Battalion 4. “He’s showing his support for the troops. He’s got a lot of guts to be out here.”

Lance Cpl. Nicole Corbett, an avionics technician with Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 29, echoed Flores’ feelings.

“Since it’s his second time out here I think it’s really cool,” said Corbett. “I’ve seen his pictures from the last time he was here, but I didn’t think I would ever get to meet him. So it is pretty cool that he’s out here again and I get to meet him.”

The martial arts hero said that he was enjoying his time in Iraq and was having fun meeting with service members.

“The chow is my favorite part,” said Norris jokingly. “Everything is great. I have a mission out here, and that is to meet as many troops as I can, and that’s what I’m focused on. But the chow is good.”
Sound Off...What do you think?

Chuck Norris - “Honorary Marine” (http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,150364,00.html)

Fred Hansen
10-01-2007, 12:44
:patriot: :thumbsup: :patriot: