Installing a Video Card [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Video Card

Glockerel
10-01-2007, 07:19
I've been playing the History Channel's Dogfights game. My card isn't up to snuff for all of the levels and they recommend a Nvidia. Are these hard to install?
Thanks.

don51181
10-01-2007, 13:54
Not really. Just check to see what kind of connection your computer has. Either AGP or PCI. The internet has a lot of pictures you can compare with the inside of your PC. Here is how I did mine.

1.Then just shut you PC down
2. Turn off you surge protector
3. Keep one had touching the metal case of your pc to remove static
4. Try to keep your fingers on the edge of the video card and insert it in the slot carefully.
5. power up the pc and it usually recognizes it automatically.

Tvov
10-01-2007, 16:24
(Below is from someone [me!] who doesn't know a whole lot about computers, so keep that in mind...)

If the new video card comes with a cooling fan, there may be a power plug coming from it. Check that your computer has someplace to plug it in. My computer has extra slots for cards and drives, and there are plugs available for power if necessary. These are on the big ribbon thing that connects everything together. Sometimes the plugs are sort of folded out of the way, so you may have to search for them.

malkore
10-05-2007, 16:42
also, sometimes there is a little sliding tab that 'locks' the video card in place. if you have one like this, i'll be located where the card plugs into the motherboard on the inside end....not the end that sticks out the backside of the PC.

just slide the tab towards the front of the pc, then you can remove the old card, insert new card, plug in power if necessary, and slide the locking tab back to the locked position.