Cut Help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cut Help!

tuffcop07
10-02-2007, 08:36
Hey guys,

Last night we noticed on Roxy's (my GSD) back that she has a decent little cut on her back that has the puss going on. I think she got it trying to slide under the bed (she is getting too big for it now) she doesn't seem to be in pain should i take her to the vet or just keep cleaning with alcohol?

pjrocco
10-02-2007, 11:04
Just keep it clean and keep a close eye on it. If you see any negative change, take her to the vet.

goldenlight
10-02-2007, 15:13
If you are seeing puss, it's already infected.

It's a gamble whether it will heal on it's own, and unfortunately, the odds aren't that great. (a bit better than with cats, though).

If it doesn't, it could abcess, and require expensive treatment.

How deep and long is the wound? If it's fairly superficial, (not too deep) you could try using a topical antibiotic like Neosporin. Apply per directions, and hope your dog doesn't lick it off. Reapply as often as it's removed, and watch carefully for signs of worsening infection.

If it's more than about 1/8" deep, open, and oozing puss, it's time to go to the vet for antibiotics.

Generally, treating an infection earlier is always better than later, and can cost much less. Often, all that's required is a shot of antibiotic, and a course of pills/liquid to take home. This isn't too expensive.

If the wound abcesses, it may require surgery to clean it up, and that gets expensive. (general anesthesia, sutures, etc.)

Many, many years ago I worked for a vet. We almost always saw cats and dogs after the infection got to the point it was abcessed. Not pleasant to to clean up the wound and dead tissue, etc. Recovery time was much longer than if the wound was treated early, too.

Good luck! (maybe put something on the bedframe that cut the dog; even duct tape would help round out a sharp edge.):thumbsup:

tuffcop07
10-02-2007, 16:08
Its really hard to tell because of her fur but it looks like a scrape more than a gash. the fur around it is dried yellow today

goldenlight
10-02-2007, 22:42
Originally posted by tuffcop07
Its really hard to tell because of her fur but it looks like a scrape more than a gash. the fur around it is dried yellow today

Do you have any way of gently shaving the fur away from the area?

I have a small moustache groomer/trimmer that I have used to shave a small area on my cat once. She had a small cut that I needed to examine.

Perhaps with two people, even careful trimming with scissors would give you a much better look at the wound.

If it's 'just' a skin abrasion, and not cut all of the way through the skin, it's far less likely to abcess.

But, like any abrasion/laceration, it can still get infected, and get out of hand fairly quickly.

Fortunately, dog saliva is far cleaner than cat saliva (which tends to carry staph bacteria) so this cuts down somewhat on infection risk.

Blinky
10-02-2007, 22:56
Call your vet in the morning too. :thumbsup:

GotGlock1917
10-02-2007, 23:29
Neosporin. Every cut. Every time.