Teri Hatcher's Comment Against Philippine Med Schools [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Teri Hatcher's Comment Against Philippine Med Schools

KevlarSix
10-05-2007, 03:29
Dear Friends,

Have you recently watched the most recent episode of Desperate Housewives? The scene entailed Susan at a hospital, being told by her gynecologist that she might be hitting menopause. Susan replied, "Can I just check those diplomas because I just want to make sure that they are not from some med school in the Philippines."

If you go to abc.com < http://www.abc.com>, you can watch the full episode and witness the scene at about 18:50 minutes into the episode.

You can also watch it in YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LMA25i1jFs

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"Filipino Americans demand for apology from ABC and Desperate Housewives"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline. com, the free online petition service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/FilABC/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and perhaps you may also feel offended by that remark. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider signing yourself.

Best wishes,

horge
10-05-2007, 03:48
I understand that ABC, the network producing the series
Desperate Housewives, has already issued an apology:

"The producers of Desperate Housewives and ABC Studios offer our
sincere apologies for any offence caused by the brief reference in
the season premiere. There was no intent to disparage the integrity
of any aspect of the medical community in the Philippines.

As leaders in broadcast diversity, we are committed to presenting
sensitive and respectful images of all communities featured in our
programmes."

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=entertainment&id=5690241

Often, network producers in a similar scandal will retreat behind
a defense that would go something like: "The TV character played by
(actor's name) was meant to hold racial prejudices, as do some
people in real life. The character will continue to change and
develop according to our storylines"

To their credit, ABC didn't try to weasel their way out like that.
'Course, I don't think the apology for the offense is enough for
many of us, and ABC may choose do something positive for Filipinos
in a subsequent episode, and will definitely have to edit the
premiere so as not to repeat the offense in reruns and syndicated
rebroadcasts.

bulm540
10-05-2007, 07:00
I am not surprise, when most of the characters in teh series sleep with Juan ( the gardener).

blueeagle
10-05-2007, 08:55
in one fell swoop, nadagdagan ng mahigit 5 million viewers (approx number of Pinoys sa states albeit angry pinoys) and tv show ng ABC! add to this figure ang mga viewers sa 'Pinas! :laughabove:

boholglock
10-05-2007, 09:05
These remarks are PREJUDICIAL to the Filipino healthcare professionals and surely are NOT FUNNY!

How ungrateful can these people get after being cared for by our world class nurses and doctors.

This is UNFAIR to us Filipinos who work our way for the buck.

This is a STUPID ACT from STUPID HATCHER/ABC!

vega
10-05-2007, 16:51
Actually those things happens in real life. Our pediatrician went to the US to practice and get her diplomate and one patient asked her if her hands are clean. There were other comments as well but that is the one I remember.

I remember going to her clinic and have to wait for hours because of patients lining the hallway. I was told that she also looked after Enrile's grand kids, don't know if this is true.

So ABC already made a public apology, IMHO, there's nothing more to discuss.

chowchow
10-05-2007, 18:17
Hot topic yan lalo na sa mga amin dito in the healthcare field. Nagkataon yari sila sa galit ng mga Kababayan.:laughabove:

isuzu
10-05-2007, 18:19
Teri Hatcher was just a parrot for the scriptwriter. She could have been sensitive enough to ask if this was proper to say and asked the scriptwriter to modify or delete the script.

ABC should review their ethical standards so that similar incidents like these won't happen again.

chowchow
10-05-2007, 18:27
Im glad it didnt take long for a forceful response from US based Filipinos and our owned Govt to bring this strong message to ABC that we arent taking this kind of BS innuendos. Congrats to all.
I hope we dont get into the likes of NACCP and LULAC.

antediluvianist
10-06-2007, 17:56
Terrible comment. Completely inaccurate except for De la Salle Medical School.

Allegra
10-06-2007, 18:30
wahahaha EAC??
Ateneo med is about to produce it's first batch og grads

theTactician
10-07-2007, 18:05
it somehow hurt me being an MD-RN but i dont think it would hurt our (MDRN's) career here in the u.s. Its quite the opposite in reality actually. a lot of my patients, mostly caucasians, upon learning that im an eye surgeon in the philippines working as a nurse and taking care of them in the critical care unit, they feel safe and secured knowing that they can depend their lives on me. They know that i know what im doing.
These racists, they just make prejudicial comments mostly against asians, not only filipinos but also the chinese, the indians and the mexicans. But again, what can we do? we're still considered as visitors in their country even if we're permanent residents or american citizens. It doesnt matter to them. Its their opinion and everybody is entitled to their opinion.
Let them make their harsh and derogatory comments. Their only a minority. Most of our patients believe otherwise. We (MDRN's) dont have to prove anything to these people, let our actions, professionalism and medical knowledge speak for itself.

isuzu
10-07-2007, 20:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwzVFToFc60&watch_response

Mods,

Please feel free to delete the post if it contravenes GT rules. Thanks!

:)

chowchow
10-07-2007, 21:23
:laughabove: Magaleng ang satire ng kababayang badeng s!

juliuscl
10-07-2007, 21:32
it's just amazing how politicians react quickly whenever somebody makes a bad joke about filipinos when the one doing it is not non filipino.

how many of them reacted with Malu Fernandez article? I would say that was worst than the comment made in Desperate housewives but since it the article was written by a Filipino, the reaction was not that big.

Aren't we also racists that we tend to downplay remarks against filipino if done by a filipino but not when done by non filipinos?
I know the Malu resigned because of the heat she was getting from the OFW but i haven't heard any big shots complaining about it.

Com'on guys, you have to take that desperate housewives comment with a grain of salt. Don't you even wonder what made the writer write that joke? would it be because you could just buy any diploma with any degree available in some parts of manila and not because of the quality of medical eduction here in the Philippines?

Jay Leno makes worst jokes than that like to Prince Charles wife who he associates to a horse and we do not see any reactions from the Brits.

I do agree that we have to take pride of our country but you also have to respect free speech.

Allegra
10-07-2007, 21:52
Pinoys racist??!! Never! :)
It should be realized that the 3rd world is pretty sensitive :)
Unlike Prince charles who can tell Leno - mag prinsipe ka muna :)

CatsMeow
10-08-2007, 02:19
There was a comparison of Teri Hatcher's remark with that of Claire Danes some years ago; while the latter did in fact have basis (still true in many parts of Manila), the former, no, as our docs and nurses are worldclass, especially from Silliman University my alma mater.:thumbsup:

So ABC and Desperate Housewives richly deserves all the flak heaped on them.