I feel a popping in the steering wheel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I feel a popping in the steering wheel

alphacat
10-05-2007, 11:03
I've got a 03 Chevy Impala. when I drive it I can feel a popping in the steering wheel when I make tight turns, since the are no ball joints in this front end drive car what else could it be??

knightkrawler00
10-05-2007, 22:16
Actually, there are ball joints in the front of that car. On the bottom, but not on the top like most rear drivers. There is a bulletin out now to address that issue. The noise is coming from the steering shaft that connects the wheel to the steering rack. It's not going to come apart or anything, it's just making noise. Sometimes we are able to fix it with some lube, while others are taking a new shaft to fix it. Your dealer should be able to fix it up fairly easily. The dealer may even take care of the bill if you have been a customer for a while, since this is an ongoing issue.

alphacat
10-05-2007, 22:21
Thanks. I'll check with the dealer, it sounds like something I can't fix myself.

:thumbsup:

JimK
10-30-2007, 20:38
Maybe a bad CV joint?

alienspeedfreak
11-02-2007, 19:45
probably intermediate steering shaft noise......like the other poster said. pretty much all chevy trucks and some of the larger cars have it. new shaft designs came out this year (which arent much better- they use a plastic spline inside to muffle the sound,but leave no option to grease and then when the plastic wears out you're back to square one)

alphacat
11-21-2007, 20:43
I called Smedley's Chevrolet in Vandalia Ohio where I bought the car about this problem.. The service dept told me GM had came out with a fix for the problem. They will replace the inner steering shaft at no charge to me and that will fix my popping problem.
I'm going down to have it fixed next week.