Cleaning guns is calming [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning guns is calming

revo
10-07-2007, 17:49
I saw this on arfcom and i think it's true for me. After coming home from the range or from a camping trip, the ritual of cleaning guns has a calming effect for me. I feel good while i'm cleaning my guns and i feel good after. I feel that cleaning a gun is one of the things a man should know how to do and I know how to do it.

Para bang ritual of manhood.

Am I the only one who feels like this ?

charlie-xray
10-08-2007, 01:39
Same here bro revo, specially with the sweet smell of hoppes9 and a shiny barrel.

diba nga in the older times, a father cleaning his gun with his kids is considered a great bonding time pa.

CatsMeow
10-08-2007, 01:58
I dunno, it's the shooting part that definitely makes me happy.:thumbsup:

But then there's something about the piercing smell of Hoppes No. 9 (stunk up my room for hours) plus the Glock is one of the easiest guns to clean. It's a part of getting "intimate" with your gun, as in you get to know its every nook and cranny.

I got a book on Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe cartoons, where in one Joe was cradling his Garand after cleaning it and telling it: "I've given you th' best years o' my life."

batangueno
10-08-2007, 06:09
I don't like cleaning guns, shooting lang gusto ko. :supergrin:

Allegra
10-08-2007, 07:03
Two of my least fave things to do
Reloading and cleaning...anything

My record is 2000++rnds on my 1911 w/out cleaning ( no jams )
I only cleaned it because the mud was making the slide cycle slowly

I prefer the ritual of sleeping :)

antediluvianist
10-11-2007, 06:13
It is my duty to help those in need. So, I used to give my guns to the range guys at Armscor and they cleaned them for a generous tip.

Meanwhile, it was even more calming eating some pizza upstairs at NY Pizza.

Alexii
10-11-2007, 09:14
I love cleaning my guns after shooting. IMHO, the shooter/owner should be the only one to clean and handle his/her guns, especially guns carried everyday for defense.

casmot
10-11-2007, 09:51
Originally posted by Alexii
IMHO, the shooter/owner should be the only one to clean and handle his/her guns, especially guns carried everyday for defense.

+1. :thumbsup:

antediluvianist
10-11-2007, 10:10
And what if you don't carry your guns "everyday for defense". Lighten up, man. Letting a range officer clean a gun is not giving it to a katulong to clean. And of course you inspect it yourself afterwards.

Poodle
10-11-2007, 16:59
I don't like cleaning guns, especially .22 caliber firearms. I like shooting better.

chowchow
10-11-2007, 18:13
I always take care of my guns and cleaning is part and parcel of it all.

blueeagle
10-11-2007, 20:56
Originally posted by revo
I saw this on arfcom and i think it's true for me. After coming home from the range or from a camping trip, the ritual of cleaning guns has a calming effect for me. I feel good while i'm cleaning my guns and i feel good after. I feel that cleaning a gun is one of the things a man should know how to do and I know how to do it.

Para bang ritual of manhood.

+1, revo! that makes two of us, though my better half thinks I've gone bonkers over my toys. :laughabove:

Alexii
10-12-2007, 07:37
Originally posted by antediluvianist
And what if you don't carry your guns "everyday for defense". Lighten up, man. Letting a range officer clean a gun is not giving it to a katulong to clean. And of course you inspect it yourself afterwards.

Just my opinion, Sir Ante.:) I just personally don't want anybody else handling my guns; I'll have myself only to blame if something goes wrong with it. :cheers:

Poodle
10-12-2007, 17:18
Just my opinion, Sir Ante.:) I just personally don't want anybody else handling my guns; I'll have myself only to blame if something goes wrong with it. :cheers:

Same with me. I don't like anybody else cleaning my guns. Once saw an RO cleaning the gun barrel by passing the brush through the crown. I'd rather stick it through the chamber.:hugs:

boni
10-13-2007, 09:04
its not everyday that i clean my carry firearm cguro brush2x punas2x kasi its always loaded eh. habit namin cguro mga carry f/a namin dito eh palaging loaded. pag tapos mag practice syempre cleaning kaagad yan. :)

revo
10-13-2007, 17:39
I'll certainly allow another person to clean my guns kung kamukha niya si Jessica Alba. :supergrin:

antediluvianist
10-13-2007, 20:18
Like I said, if you carry your firearm that's different.

Trusting a mechanic to change spark plugs etc. is no big deal. They also handle things that can kill you if not done right. There are just a few Armscor etc. range officers and you get to know them. It's not like just dumping your gun with someone you don't know. I know that the 3 guys I deal with don't flip the cylinder or nick the crown. They teach me things about guns in fact.

It's a personal thing. Whatever floats your boat.

Allegra
10-14-2007, 09:39
Para walang away , just do what I do
I let the gunsmith clean the gun
All I do is complain that it's jamming and leave it w/ the smith
When I come back , sabihin nya , walang naman problema madumi lang pala
Ang linis pati barrel!

vega
10-14-2007, 09:46
I love cleaning my guns after shooting. IMHO, the shooter/owner should be the only one to clean and handle his/her guns, especially guns carried everyday for defense.
+1 again.
And I don't think you have to lighten up, I believe some people just have to loosen up.

Walther PPK
10-16-2007, 01:31

Nope, you're not the only one who feels that way.

This is one thing my wife don't understand haha
I even bought a rotary tool just to clean/polish my FA :)

sarap kasi! Doing it the way it should be cleaned!

CatsMeow
10-16-2007, 02:35
Originally posted by Walther PPK
Nope, you're not the only one who feels that way.

This is one thing my wife don't understand haha
I even bought a rotary tool just to clean/polish my FA :)

sarap kasi! Doing it the way it should be cleaned!

May I ask what it is? A Dremel tool? Does it take a chamber brush?:)

Walther PPK
10-16-2007, 22:04
Originally posted by CatsMeow
May I ask what it is? A Dremel tool? Does it take a chamber brush?:)

Yes Sir :)a dremel clone though :D

I'm using it to buff those small areas where my gorilla fingers can't reach.

I'm still trying to learn to use the proper grit on the polishing bit...don't want to ruin those ramps or else I might end up with a nice looking paper weights :)

CatsMeow
10-17-2007, 01:29
Oh okay. I was just thinking of the possibility of putting a nylon chamber brush on the end of one to simplify cleaning the chamber, or any place that requires use of a cleaning "toothbrush".

Walther PPK
10-18-2007, 23:44
Oh okay. I was just thinking of the possibility of putting a nylon chamber brush on the end of one to simplify cleaning the chamber, or any place that requires use of a cleaning "toothbrush".

Yes, I guess we could do that sir...just needed a lil DIY in inserting the shaft of the brush on the tool :)