Move to Mississippi [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Move to Mississippi

meeko
10-08-2007, 22:01
I am pondering a move/transfer to Mississippi (actually Memphis for a job. whats the good points and bad (if any) about southaven and Olive Branch? property Taxes, crime etc. Thanks for any info

NoloContendere
10-09-2007, 16:55
There are some board members that live up that way, and I'll defer to their local expertise.

MS has some good gun laws though. Castle Doctrine, Permit is really easy to get, few restrictions on carry, can carry in a car without a permit/license...

I really like the Southaven area. Traffic can be quite bad up there though!

Stephen

bwswanson
10-09-2007, 19:34
I live in Southaven. You can go here to get an estimate on taxes or if there is a house you want to look up http://www.desotoms.info/WEBPGMS/taxassesor.pgm?&smurfid=00203ee90380b9031970f4fbebc034bcdea0c107ae790f167fcaeb6a091bb4ff

I work downtown Memphis and it takes me 30 minutes to get to work. Since they open up I-55 it has really helped out. Personally I would live south of Goodman road.

If there is anything that I can answer just let me know and I will try and answer.

swatmed4
10-15-2007, 08:36
Welcome to MS. In the Olive Branch/Southaven area, is not too bad if you are south of Goodman rd. There are some problems with crime north of it. Too close to the State line. Memphis is coming south.

Taxes are not too bad yet, except for car tags.

We are a gun friendly state, and to get a CCW permit you have to go the MS highway patrol station. There is one in Batesville and New Albany.

Good luck

BuLC86
10-16-2007, 11:19
I live in Hernando and realy like it good small hometown atmosphere. Property taxes are alright but car tags are a bit high. Come on down we need some more good people here.

jpcast
10-20-2007, 21:02
Meeko, I took a job in Memphis also. I had a year of commuting between Atlanta & Memphis. I studied the pro's and con's of the Memphis suburbs and N. MS. We settled on an area 7 miles South of Olive Branch near the new Lewisburg Elem, Mid & High Schools. Advantages, country, county taxes only, excellent Sherriff's dept., good house value and land available, excellent schools & only a 35 minute ride to work.

Also we have the Desoto Pistol and Rifle Club 7 miles away. Good gun shops in Southaven (Guns & Ammo) and friendly people.

I highly recommend the area.

Jpcast

swatmed4
10-21-2007, 06:59
Meeko, I took a job in Memphis also. I had a year of commuting between Atlanta & Memphis. I studied the pro's and con's of the Memphis suburbs and N. MS. We settled on an area 7 miles South of Olive Branch near the new Lewisburg Elem, Mid & High Schools. Advantages, country, county taxes only, excellent Sherriff's dept., good house value and land available, excellent schools & only a 35 minute ride to work.

Also we have the Desoto Pistol and Rifle Club 7 miles away. Good gun shops in Southaven (Guns & Ammo) and friendly people.

I highly recommend the area.

JpcastThat is a good area. I grew up behind the fire dept. My parents still live there. Alot has changed but is still a good area. The Sheriff's dept is about to get alot better with the new sheriff. I am on the SWAT team and we are looking forward to Jan.

I have not shot at DeSoto Pistol and Rifle, I usually go to a Police range. I here it is nice.

meeko
10-22-2007, 06:56
Thanks everyone for your advice. I should find out more this week if the move there gets to happen. I'll let you know

jpcast
10-22-2007, 19:28
Swatmed4 glad to hear about the dept. getting better with the recent changes. My family enjoys seeing the regular patrols and the girls get a kick out of visiting with one deputy on a regular basis. We appreciate very much what y'all do everyday.

The Desoto Pistol & Rifle Club is a good place to work out the Glock and have fun.

Y'all be careful out there.

Highest Regards,

Jpcast

swatmed4
10-24-2007, 09:45
We are excited about the change. It will help the growth of the dept. and county. We appreciate your support.

I have never shot there. I may have to come check it out. I always like to find a place to shoot.

CATATOMIC
10-26-2007, 12:05
Mississippi isn't a bad place, I just hate the weather here. Summer seems to last about 10 months out of the year.

Joe D
10-27-2007, 03:42
Sounds like things have changed in the Olive Branch/Hernando area since I went to 1st grade here.

jpcast
10-27-2007, 11:08
Swatmed4, the Desoto Pistol range closes down Nov. 1 to for deer season & reopens in the spring. The range is on leased land.

If you decide to check it out, your welcome as my guest. Send me a PM and I'll get you my contact numbers.

jpcast

swatmed4
10-28-2007, 20:48
Swatmed4, the Desoto Pistol range closes down Nov. 1 to for deer season & reopens in the spring. The range is on leased land.

If you decide to check it out, your welcome as my guest. Send me a PM and I'll get you my contact numbers.

jpcast
Thanks for the invite. I will get you my info