Las Vegas Area Competitions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas Area Competitions

heidit
10-09-2007, 07:31
Does anyone know of an amature pistol/Glock league in the Las Vegas area? My son (12) and I would like to learn more about how to compete. We love to shoot together, and would like to have another reason to go to the range. (As if we needed a reason) I read the GSSF website, however I am now looking for more information. :wavey:

crazypilot
10-09-2007, 12:11
Try the Las Vegas IDPA http://www.lasvegasidpa.com. Matches are help at the Desert Sportsman Rifle & Pistol Club. Browse the website for the schedule. I see father's with their kids there every now and then. You're going to need a holster (kydex belt holsters are preffered for competitions, 3 mags, 100 rds of ammo per person and a double mag pouch). They also hold steel challenge competitions on the third Saturday of every month. Click on the links section.

heidit
10-09-2007, 14:16
Hey - Thanks for information. I see that there is a match this Saturdy at Desert Sportsman, I guess I will grab the kid and checkout how it all works. It's all rather intimidating, but sounds like fun.

momwithaglock
10-11-2007, 19:06
According to the match schedule on the Glock Shooting Sports website (http://www.gssfonline.com/), there will be a GSSF match here in Vegas in January 2008.

Maybe I'll see you there!

heidit
10-11-2007, 19:15
Have you ever shot in a Glock match?

momwithaglock
10-12-2007, 18:09
No, not yet, but I'd like to!

I plan to at least go to watch the match here in January, but who knows? Maybe I'll get up the courage to enter. I love shooting my 19, and this league, as I understand it, is designed for those who want to make the transition from casual shooter to competitor.

heidit
10-12-2007, 18:48
There is a match tomorrow out at Desert Sportsman.. I am going to check it out in the morning... it's not Glock, but I bet they are run pretty similar. If you care to meet up let me know. I have been going over to American to shoot lately, just trying to get my stance and grip together. I went over to Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday, they have a coupon on the internet for ammo, I managed to pick up 1,000 rounds for $120.00.. great deal!

Barcroft
10-13-2007, 12:42
Where did you find the coupon? I don't see it on their site.
Thanks.

heidit
10-13-2007, 13:17
Look in the weekly add section.. on the bottom go to weekly circular, it's very light gray and hard to see but it's there, you will see the coupon on the first page, click on it and print it. I am on my way down for round two :) and to pick my handy dandy new safe... it's been an expensive week.

heidit
10-13-2007, 13:20
So I went and checked out the event this morning. It was pretty cool. We are looking forward to trying it out next month. Thank you crazypilot for showing me the ropes.

crazypilot
10-13-2007, 15:29
No prob. See you there next month.

crazypilot
10-23-2007, 03:40
There is a match tomorrow out at Desert Sportsman.. I am going to check it out in the morning... it's not Glock, but I bet they are run pretty similar. If you care to meet up let me know. I have been going over to American to shoot lately, just trying to get my stance and grip together. I went over to Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday, they have a coupon on the internet for ammo, I managed to pick up 1,000 rounds for $120.00.. great deal!

I tried getting some .40 S&W and they said they were out for the past 3 months and they had rain checks for the next 3 months. I don't have the time to wait for ammo :(. Also, if anyone here in LV wants to meet great people and have some fun shooting, come out to one of the IDPA matches. We usually have 40 people there ranging from beginners/novice to masters.

heidit
10-26-2007, 22:54
Hey when is the next IDPA out at Desert Sportman? They don't have the calendar up for November yet.

crazypilot
10-27-2007, 01:14
The next one is on Nov. 8. Set up @8am and start at 9am. The IDPA matches are held every 2nd Saturday of the month. Also, since it's your first time, you don't have to be an IDPA member and you don't have to pay the $10 fee.

heidit
10-27-2007, 14:19
Wow something free... cool! Shooting sports are so darn expensive! Speaking of money burning money.. I think I'll go to the range.

crazypilot
10-27-2007, 14:34
That's what I plan on doing later on today.

heidit
10-27-2007, 14:42
I am off to American now, I'll be at Desert Lakes tomorrow.

crazypilot
10-27-2007, 14:45
That's exactly where I'm going after I get a haircut. I'm going to take my kid with me.

heidit
10-27-2007, 17:46
Hey ran into my friend Ray at American. He is shooting at Desert Sportsman tomorrow in IPSC. So I guess Richard & I will be out at Desert Sportsman tomorrow, not Desert Lakes and check out the IPSC stuff.

crazypilot
10-29-2007, 13:37
The next one is on Nov. 8. Set up @8am and start at 9am. The IDPA matches are held every 2nd Saturday of the month. Also, since it's your first time, you don't have to be an IDPA member and you don't have to pay the $10 fee.

OOPS. I gave you the wrong date. I was looking at the '08 schedule. The next match is 10 Nov. not 8 Nov. Sorry.:embarassed:

crazypilot
10-29-2007, 13:38
Hey ran into my friend Ray at American. He is shooting at Desert Sportsman tomorrow in IPSC. So I guess Richard & I will be out at Desert Sportsman tomorrow, not Desert Lakes and check out the IPSC stuff.

Did you make it out there? How was it? I haven't been to an IPSC match yet.

heidit
10-29-2007, 14:57
Yes we did go out. It was pretty neat. They had 5 different courses set up including the house. We were sort of guest of Ray who invited us out, so he introduced us and showed my son all the courses ect. Ray is an amazing shooter. He is usually finished with the course in less time than it takes my of us to get the gun out of the holster. We did not shoot this time but plan to shoot in two weeks. I will let you know for sure the time and date. And I got one heck of a sunburn!

strokedf350
10-29-2007, 22:28
Hey guys, I also want to get started shooting idpa. I can't make the next match, but I want to get out there in dec. and check it out!

heidit
10-29-2007, 22:55
Well I ordering a holster and 3 double magazine pouches from Blade Tech today. Not a bad deal 150.00 with shipping. They were suggested to me by one of the guys at the range on Sunday... So depending on shipping we may or may not get to shoot in two weeks, it might take up to 4 weeks to receive the equipment.

crazypilot
10-30-2007, 02:08
Hey guys, I also want to get started shooting idpa. I can't make the next match, but I want to get out there in dec. and check it out!

Great!!! If you can't do the IPDA next month, do the steel competition.

crazypilot
10-30-2007, 02:10
Yes we did go out. It was pretty neat. They had 5 different courses set up including the house. We were sort of guest of Ray who invited us out, so he introduced us and showed my son all the courses ect. Ray is an amazing shooter. He is usually finished with the course in less time than it takes my of us to get the gun out of the holster. We did not shoot this time but plan to shoot in two weeks. I will let you know for sure the time and date. And I got one heck of a sunburn!

It's funny you mention Ray because a lot of us were talking about how good he is at Front Sight.

crazypilot
10-30-2007, 02:22
Well I ordering a holster and 3 double magazine pouches from Blade Tech today. Not a bad deal 150.00 with shipping. They were suggested to me by one of the guys at the range on Sunday... So depending on shipping we may or may not get to shoot in two weeks, it might take up to 4 weeks to receive the equipment.

Blade-Tech is a great product. I actually purchased my BT holster from topgunsupply.com for my G23 since they had it in stock and I got it really quick. What gun are you going to be shooting? I had to use my BT Revolution holster (made for the S&W M&P) to shoot my G23 in one of the matches. You can try it and see if it fits your gun. I can also let you use my mag pouch. I got it with tech-lok so I can get it off fairly quickly.

heidit
10-30-2007, 05:46
I have a Glock 19. It's what I have, so that's what we use. My brother left it here when he moved to Hawaii. It was cheaper to shop in my closet than Bass Pro. I zipped off an email to Blade Tech with regard to in stock items, so I should know tomorrow if we will have it before Christmas! Thanks for the offer of equipment, I'll let you know. There are a ton of matches in November one IDPA, three IPSC and one steel. Between range practice and matches we are going to burn a ton of ammo. Richard (12 year old son) has been practicing reloading his mags on the fly... it's pretty fun to watch. I am mostly concerned that he learns to keep the muzzel in a safe direction while reloading. We will see how Richard likes this division of shooting before I run out and purchase another firearm. I have over a $1,000 in competitive rifle equipment sitting in the corner. He shot rifle for two years, one year pretty serious. He is a great little rifle shooter, but he got board holding really still all the time.

heidit
10-30-2007, 06:06
I met Ray at discount last year. He is always ready to help anyone who asks. He spent maybe 10 minutes with me one afternoon gave me a few basics... I managed to move the two groups I was shooting into one smaller group by the end of the day. He is pretty okay in my book! Ray has been shooting since he was 14 or 15 so he is about 20 years into the sport.

I am really into this for my son and it's nice that he takes time to talk and explain how everything works to my 12 year old. He understands the obsticals Richard faces with school and other kids. Trust me, their aint nothing like the looks you get from school officials when they find out your child has firearms at their disposal. One teacher wanted to if I let him shoot real bullets. I'm all no, we just throw rocks in the general direction that he is pointing the gun. Gees! Anyway he is an Awesome guy, can't say enough good stuff about Ray. I could be president of the Ray club... just cuz he is nice to the kid! Of couse if anyone repeats that I'll deny it!

crazypilot
10-30-2007, 14:20
I have a Glock 19. It's what I have, so that's what we use. My brother left it here when he moved to Hawaii. It was cheaper to shop in my closet than Bass Pro. I zipped off an email to Blade Tech with regard to in stock items, so I should know tomorrow if we will have it before Christmas! Thanks for the offer of equipment, I'll let you know. There are a ton of matches in November one IDPA, three IPSC and one steel. Between range practice and matches we are going to burn a ton of ammo. Richard (12 year old son) has been practicing reloading his mags on the fly... it's pretty fun to watch. I am mostly concerned that he learns to keep the muzzel in a safe direction while reloading. We will see how Richard likes this division of shooting before I run out and purchase another firearm. I have over a $1,000 in competitive rifle equipment sitting in the corner. He shot rifle for two years, one year pretty serious. He is a great little rifle shooter, but he got board holding really still all the time.

That revolution holster will fit the G19 since the M&P also has a 4.2 in barrel so yeah let me know if you want to try it. Indeed, I wish I could attend all of the matches but ammo gets expensive really quick especially the .40 S&W. Richard will have fun I'm sure.

heidit
11-17-2007, 17:49
Hey is anyone going out to shoot tomorrow at Desert Sportman?