glock mariner kaboom! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : glock mariner kaboom!

bertud ng putik
10-10-2007, 03:09
galing ako ng trust trade kanina, hawak ni paulo 2 gun case na may isang glock mariner 9mm, dont know if g17 or g19 ito. naku po! hati yung rear portion ng barrel at total wreck yung trigger nya! reload daw ang ginamit nung owner. yung isang gun naman ay taurus 24/7pro .40cal, nag kaboom din, pero mas grabe yung sa glock talaga!

ewan ko kung bakit sa trust trade pinagawa, cguro dahil madaming piyesa doon. pero yung glock hindi daw sa kanila binili. yung taurus 24/7 pro lang ang binili sa kanila! kaya to all na may glock, ingat lang po! at tiyak nasugatan yung may ari nito! warat talaga yung trigger at barrel, grabe!

ingat to all glockers and avoid lead reloads na!

G19c,PH
10-10-2007, 03:25
For the glock good thing the receiver is still ok. Barrel can be replaced by after market brand.(Bar-Sto at True Weight)

pipo
10-10-2007, 03:57
Interesting... Not that much info of G17s going kaboom though.. I sure would like to know more info on this mariner. In my case i use teflon coated reloads and i chamber check each and every bullet and inspect the case before i use them.

jasonub
10-10-2007, 06:33
tsk tsk. another one. another reason why i dont like it

lapu2x
10-10-2007, 06:42
Had a Glock 23 that also went Kaboom a few years back. Only the barrel was destroyed. Was using lead reloads. I think it was double charged. Don't think you can double charge a 9 mm. What's a glock mariner anyway. Don't think there is such a model, at least according to the Glock website.

TTPower
10-10-2007, 07:29
Originally posted by lapu2x
Had a Glock 23 that also went Kaboom a few years back. Only the barrel was destroyed. Was using lead reloads. I think it was double charged. Don't think you can double charge a 9 mm. What's a glock mariner anyway. Don't think there is such a model, at least according to the Glock website.

glock mariners are simply glocks that are designed so it can be fired under water. bro stay away from lead reloads :)

bikethief
10-10-2007, 09:20
Medyo off topic but can somebody shed light on what the MARINER version was really designed to do? I know that the only difference is the tougher than usual finish and the marine spring cups which have the small water channels in them. These channels were designed to let water flow through IN CASE water got into the firing pin channel. Here's a few of my thoughts:
- even with ear protection ( and I doubt you can wear ear protection under water) the sound of a gunshot underwater would be deafening to the shooter. Sound travels much faster through water.
- Wouldn't the water pressure created by the recoil action blow out the magazine or at least the mag base pad? The slide travels freely above water but there's a BIG difference in air and water resistance.
- What kind of ballistics would you get out of a bullet shot underwater anyway? How far is that bullet going to travel and at what velocity?

These questions have led me to conclude that we may have mis-understood the real reason behind the inception of of the Glock Mariner series. I think these guns were designed to be used by operators who work in and around the water. The mariner spring cups are there just to make sure that the gun functions even after it has been under water like if the operator was inserted or landed by sea. Not necessarily to be fired while still under water. if anyone has any ideas, please chime in. Oh, and if anybody has actually fired his/her Mariner underwater, feel free to correct me!:thumbsup:

superman79
10-10-2007, 09:55
Originally posted by bikethief
Medyo off topic but can somebody shed light on what the MARINER version was really designed to do? I know that the only difference is the tougher than usual finish and the marine spring cups which have the small water channels in them. These channels were designed to let water flow through IN CASE water got into the firing pin channel. Here's a few of my thoughts:
- even with ear protection ( and I doubt you can wear ear protection under water) the sound of a gunshot underwater would be deafening to the shooter. Sound travels much faster through water.
- Wouldn't the water pressure created by the recoil action blow out the magazine or at least the mag base pad? The slide travels freely above water but there's a BIG difference in air and water resistance.
- What kind of ballistics would you get out of a bullet shot underwater anyway? How far is that bullet going to travel and at what velocity?

These questions have led me to conclude that we may have mis-understood the real reason behind the inception of of the Glock Mariner series. I think these guns were designed to be used by operators who work in and around the water. The mariner spring cups are there just to make sure that the gun functions even after it has been under water like if the operator was inserted or landed by sea. Not necessarily to be fired while still under water. if anyone has any ideas, please chime in. Oh, and if anybody has actually fired his/her Mariner underwater, feel free to correct me!:thumbsup:

Guys in Australia use them when they go shark diving.. imagine how useful it would be if a geat white is coming up on you!I wouldnt care if i go deaf as long as my limbs are still intact! Bien of SOE use to shoot his glock in the swimming pool.. The only Glock that was tested by the manufacturer was the glock 17. Its the one that went through the first torture tests, took the first beatings,etc.. The glock is still the only pistol to my knowledge that can shoot one round after the another under water as long as the spring cups are installed.. The Mariner is exclusive to asia.

mirko128
10-10-2007, 11:08
Further off-topic.

This thread has reminded me of the Mythbusters episode wherein they test fired pistols underwater. It was found that beyond a couple of feet, a handgun caliber would not have enough energy to be lethal.

Kaiser Soze
10-10-2007, 11:14
Originally posted by mirko128
Further off-topic.

This thread has reminded me of the Mythbusters episode wherein they test fired pistols underwater. It was found that beyond a couple of feet, a handgun caliber would not have enough energy to be lethal.

Yup. I saw that episode too. But a diver friend of mine still carries a Glock underwater to scare sharks away, it's not the bullet that scares them but the sound.

Allegra
10-10-2007, 17:35
Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Yup. I saw that episode too. But a diver friend of mine still carries a Glock underwater to scare sharks away, it's not the bullet that scares them but the sound.

ahaha I thought you were going to say tinututukan nya yung shark

low profile
10-10-2007, 18:14
oooh scuba diving with a pistol! buti na lang walang pating na naninipa ng pintuan ng kotse:supergrin:

pag pumutok yan pating at diver bingi:supergrin:

too bad glock did not win the contract to supply the seals (sig and mk23)that way may gamit ang mga mariners nila.

http://www.navyseals.com/weapons-demo#m60

I too, saw many glock failures. all they have to do is change their barrels and maybe firing pin design and or slide breechface design ok na yung pistol.

but why mess with success?

CatsMeow
10-10-2007, 18:58
That's why I use only factory FMJ for my G19. Very expensive, but look at it this way (from a lawyer's point of view, that is), I know whom to complain to if it kabooms. Less heartache. And lucky is the guy who gets my once-fired brass!:thumbsup:

isuzu
10-10-2007, 19:28
Originally posted by CatsMeow
That's why I use only factory FMJ for my G19. Very expensive, but look at it this way (from a lawyer's point of view, that is), I know whom to complain to if it kabooms. Less heartache. And lucky is the guy who gets my once-fired brass!:thumbsup:

You can have FMJ and/or moly-coated bullets loaded at Twin Pines.:)

atmarcella
10-10-2007, 19:39
my .02....

the problem with glocks is feed ramp intrusion into the chamber causing poor case support, poor case support....period and thats it.

no firing off battery etc. etc.

how do i know?

well there's this guy in thehighroad.org his handle is mr. clark, his proffession is testing things till they fail, i forgot what kind of engineer they call it, anyway, what he did was he tig welded a barrel of a glock 22 to add case support, then he double charged and triple charged his loads...and nothing happened:shocked:

click this:

http://www.thehighroad.org/printthread.php?t=83550&pp=60

CatsMeow
10-10-2007, 19:46
I'm leery about 9mm reloads of any kind since a series of case ruptures that fortunately went sideways instead of downwards. You see, the Glock's chamber is generously sized, and I examined some reloads and there's a clear bulge near the base. It still chambers fine, but I developed a phobia already...

low profile
10-10-2007, 21:28
Originally posted by atmarcella
my .02....

the problem with glocks is feed ramp intrusion into the chamber causing poor case support, poor case support....period and thats it.

no firing off battery etc. etc.

how do i know?

well there's this guy in thehighroad.org his handle is mr. clark, his proffession is testing things till they fail, i forgot what kind of engineer they call it, anyway, what he did was he tig welded a barrel of a glock 22 to add case support, then he double charged and triple charged his loads...and nothing happened:shocked:

click this:

http://www.thehighroad.org/printthread.php?t=83550&pp=60

In this case attn all glock owners, time to tigweld your glocks:shocked:

Chie
10-10-2007, 21:36
was told by a friend that his cousins g17 went kaboom 3 wks ago, they suspected that the round used was accidentally a niner used for an open gun.

atmarcella
10-10-2007, 22:53
here's a pic of what he did:

atmarcella
10-10-2007, 22:54
another:

atmarcella
10-10-2007, 22:57
im not recommending what clark did but if you use an aftermarket barrel of good quality you're on the safer side...lonewolf has good affordable aftermarket barrels:thumbsup:

Samtoy
10-12-2007, 22:22
As per the link below the Mariner and Tactical models are only available here in the Philippines. True or False?

http://www.glockfaq.com/nonus.htm

superman79
10-13-2007, 00:40
Originally posted by Samtoy
As per the link below the Mariner and Tactical models are only available here in the Philippines. True or False?

http://www.glockfaq.com/nonus.htm

Possibly true. Heard it was an exclusive for asia. I dont get wy they call the G17 a tactical just because of the the extended slide stop and the adjustable rear sight.. The G34 and G35 are the Tactical Glocks.

low profile
10-13-2007, 03:50
tactical must be the best. even if your against rob leatham you will win since your "tactical"hehehhe:supergrin:

marketing thing lang yan tactical, change the slide stop, make it look more "tactical" to sell more.

in the end you will be tactically poorer for buying the tactical stuff.:supergrin:

lapu2x
10-13-2007, 20:40
Why pay extra for a "Mariner" when I could just put in spring cups for less. Seen those "Mariner" models, marking does not seem to be done by the Factory. Seems to me like a marketing ploy to sell more.
Been shooting my Glock 17 using lead reloads, >5,000 rounds no probs so far. Have a friend with a Glock 22, >15k rounds of lead reloads, no probs so far, just make sure you havea good reloader and clean every 100 rounds. Better still buy after market barrels, if you can afford it.

superman79
10-14-2007, 04:09
Originally posted by lapu2x
Why pay extra for a "Mariner" when I could just put in spring cups for less. Seen those "Mariner" models, marking does not seem to be done by the Factory. Seems to me like a marketing ploy to sell more.
Been shooting my Glock 17 using lead reloads, >5,000 rounds no probs so far. Have a friend with a Glock 22, >15k rounds of lead reloads, no probs so far, just make sure you havea good reloader and clean every 100 rounds. Better still buy after market barrels, if you can afford it.

Shooting reloads also voids your warranty...

atmarcella
10-14-2007, 07:28
In this case attn all glock owners, time to tigweld your glocks

if you want to triple charge your loads its a good idea, just to give you an example of the loads clark is running:

40sw BOOK LOAD: 800X IMR load [current web site]: "Hi-Shor"800-X 6.3 gr. 925 fps, 2610 psi, 4" barrel, 1.125" OAL, Speer 200 gr. FMJ

MY 40sw OVERLOAD: 12.5 gr. and more requires double compression, 15.5 gr. the OAL springs out to 1.171", 15.5 gr. is ok, intense recoil +146% extra powder